Valve Train Noise?

TMan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got a 2002 FE, I have only had it a couple of months 11,500 miles and I have noticed that when hot the Valve train seems to make a lot of noise... Almost like some bad lifters but not quite that loud. Do they make a lot of noise? I changed the oil and put Mobil 1 in it 5w30 like the owners manual says, should I put in 10w40 or 20w50? I pulled the serpentine belt off to make sure it wasnt something in the front, only ran it for a couple of seconds, but the noise was still there. Pulled the D.S. valve cover and noticed the rockers all tight but not adjustable...

Any Advice from here?:confused:

It's not a single tick like a bad spark plug wire....

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just one of those things you have to keep messing with till you nail down the problem. Do you have headers? I know sometimes headers make the engine sound a bit louder up in the engine bay. exhaust leak? Seems like you did the right thing inspecting the rockers and what not. Probably going to just have to drive it and keep paying attention to see if it gets worse, or hurts performance in any way. Mine's noisy too, but it likes to go fast, so...

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cream puffs do sound a little different to previous years a little tappety (if theres such a word)...

Reaction score
The lifters in the 2000-20002 cars bleed down more than previous Vipers and have the potential the be noisier.

Locate some Joe Gibbs XP-6 oil and put it in. It should reduce the tappet noise, and it is actually a better oil for an aluminum block engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960