"VCA Members Only" vs "Private" ?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It seems when a non-member reads this site, they see areas that say "PRIVATE" like the How-Toos......I believe it might inspire non-members to JOIN VCA if they understood what they are missing....I suggest changing the "private" zones to "VCA MEMBERS ONLY" zones....

Virtually EVERY DAY I have callers tell me they are "VCA MEMBERS" by virtue of the fact they have REGISTERED FOR THIS SITE! They truly THINK they are VCA members....

They dont get Viper Magazine, they dont have ID cards.....but they tell me "Im a VCA Member, my screename is __________"

Last edited:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um, there is NOTHING on this site that says "private". Indeed, the Illustrated Upgrades, which I suspect is your "How-Toos" [sic], states this specifically in the forum description:

Illustrated Upgrades
Here you will find numerous "Do It Yourself" instruction guides for various upgrades and additions. All of these were, and will always be, submitted by our Members. As such, we are restricting viewing of the actual content to VCA Members only. If you own a Viper, your next step should be to join the VCA and get all these great benefits, including viewing the incredible content of these illustrated guides. Also note that this is a READ ONLY FORUM. Enjoy!

So unless somebody is suggesting reinventing the wheel, I am at a loss as to what this is about.

dshaf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been a member of the VCA for the last 4 years but for some reason I can't get into the Illustrated upgrades. I am able to buy raffle tickets ,any clues?

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Um, there is NOTHING on this site that says "private". Indeed, the Illustrated Upgrades, which I suspect is your "How-Toos" [sic], states this specifically in the forum description ................So unless somebody is suggesting reinventing the wheel, I am at a loss as to what this is about.,

It seems when a non-member reads this site, they see areas that say "PRIVATE" like the How-Toos......"

This is about finding ways to convert website registrants into PAID VCA MEMBERS

Like I said, non members frequently tell me what they say they saw on site, and today one said she saw "PRIVATE" in some forum or section or corner of this site. Maybe you members cant see that, either ?

Since Im a memmber loginng onn from my normul cumputer, I cannt verafy orr truble-chute it, i can bearly speel inthoozeist [sic sic sic]

Last edited:

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um, there is NOTHING on this site that says "private". Indeed, the Illustrated Upgrades, which I suspect is your "How-Toos" [sic], states this specifically in the forum description:

So unless somebody is suggesting reinventing the wheel, I am at a loss as to what this is about.

No re-inventing the wheel…from my extended (my fault) Enthusiast experience….On the forum home page, under the column “Last Post”, it says “Private” if you are not a VCA member. I think JonB is merely suggesting that “Private” be changed to “VCA Members Only”.:drive:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems when a non-member reads this site, they see areas that say "PRIVATE" like the How-Toos......I believe it might inspire non-members to JOIN VCA if they understood what they are missing....I suggest changing the "private" zones to "VCA MEMBERS ONLY" zones....

Virtually EVERY DAY I have callers tell me they are "VCA MEMBERS" by virtue of the fact they have REGISTERED FOR THIS SITE! They truly THINK they are VCA members....

They dont get Viper Magazine, they dont have ID cards.....but they tell me "Im a VCA Member, my screename is __________"

This thread should go under Board and Site Questions/Suggestions rather than Posting Policies. Darn newbies. :D :D :D

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been a member of the VCA for the last 4 years but for some reason I can't get into the Illustrated upgrades. I am able to buy raffle tickets ,any clues?

You're all set. This was a permissions issue with your account that has been fixed.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, this one was bugging me, so I used an "alter ego" account that we use for testing, and here's what an enthusiast sees....This is in the application to display this way, not sure if it's something we can change ...

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
....Ok, this one was bugging me, so I used an "alter ego" account that we use for testing, and here's what an enthusiast sees....[/quote]

Thanks Kelly............I thought that POLICY dictated the "MEMBER ONLY vs PRIVATE" so I first posted under policy forum. My bad. My caller was adamant that it DID say "PRIVATE" as she tried to view, and you discovered. Im just suggesting 3 things, in hopes to increase paid VCA membership:

--Make it clear to site registrants that JOINING THIS SITE is NOT Joining the VCA.

--If someone registers on the site, and is eligible for a VIPER OWNER Avtar, is the VCA
sending them an INVITE to join VCA? Its called "prospecting" .... DO THIS !

-- VCA should recognize that THOUSANDS of owners merely LURK here. They dont register here. They read-only. I get these enthusiastic Lurkers calling me almost every day. VCA could do a better job of enticing Lurkers to JOIN VCA (even if not joining the site) Ie ""have your Vin # and credit card out, and call 1-800-etc 'Mention you saw it on VCA.ORG and get a free keychain or dashplaque" or doodad etc."" VCA might even get some wonderful sponsor to donate them, or subsidize them.

Two Types of OWNER-Lurkers here are:

1) Barely internet savvy, no skills or desire to enroll, only lurk 10-12 times a year. Might
be VERY email savvy, or barely email savvy. But WONT register here.

2) Paranoid of joining ANYTHING internet based. Wont join VCA except by phone or fax.
Many Owner-Lurkers avoid or hate PayPal. [IRS/Supreme Court targeted, money- laundering, no federal FCRA consumer protections, etc, I hate paypuke too!]

So, INVITE THEIR CALL OR FAX periodically in threads or posts most likley to be read. "PROSPECT the ON-SITE OWNERS and LURE the LURKERS into joining, in hopes of hitting 5000 members by VOI-10.................

Last edited:

dshaf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks kcobean, I can get into the illustrated upgrades now

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And just to follow up, thanks to some quick work by our rockin' developers, that field no longer says "Private", but....

You must be registered for see images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187