Venom 800TT

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to add a comment - I do not know of too many Vipers that can match the Venom TT.

The last 1/4 run was in the 9's at over 150.

The last Dyno run was over 1000RWHP WITHOUT NOS!

Just FYI....

Regards,

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not only that but I've never seen DLM, Apex, or the others, actually go to the track to lay down a number w/ their premier car that'll beat the Venom TT.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by King GTS:
Not only that but I've never seen DLM, Apex, or the others, actually go to the track to lay down a number w/ their premier car that'll beat the Venom TT.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Out of all due respect I've personally seen DLM's premier car run 150 - 154 mph trap speeds at ten flat. There is NO doubt in my mind the car would have run in the nines but they got tossed out for not having a parachute. And that was waaaay before the tt was even built. Check out Viper Magazine.

Max

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agreed, and wasn't that with stock tires or streets and NOT slicks?
I think MPH is king.. I used to think E.T. was all that, but it's just getting off the line, the other 90% is your cars power. After all, that's what we're all after. You never hear anyone brag about "Hey, my sway bar is bigger than yours" or "My slicks have more meat on them than yours, so it's not fair".. It's all about HP/TQ and that's what we all want. So how do the mustangs and vettes run low 11's or 10's with MP still in the teens and Vipers usually do it in the 130's?

Just my thoughts..

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when I get my beast back, I wil post the 1/4 times immediately!!!! I expect my car to post some pretty impressive numbers!!!! That is if I don't die waiting on it
frown.gif

My first trip out will be straight to Bowling Green, KY and as soon as I get back I will post some numbers.

David

OP
OP
M

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed on the MPH thing....I find that number much more impressive. All my racing is from a roll anyway.

Doug's car is in the same league as the Venom TT. But how many other cars have trapped over 150? Any? None that I know of.

MPH all comes down to horsepower. What I would like to see is DLM and HMS line it up at 50mph and watch the action. That is something I would pay to see!

Regards,

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald,

You are absoultely correct - MPH is king. The reason some of the Vettes run the times they do is because they are easier to launch hard. I could care less if someone runs an 11.80 if it's only at 110mph. Actually I race a guy that runs an automatic that gets consistent 1.6 60' times. He runs 11.9-12.1 at 111mph. If we race, he jumps off the line with his DOT slicks but by half track I am running him down HARD. If he beats me in the 1/4, it's because he just eeked out a win. It's like a cat running from a big rabid dog... the dog juuuust misses biting off the cat's tail by slipping around the door. Does that make the cat quicker or meaner? No, it just makes him lucky
smile.gif

I dont know why more DLM cars dont go to the track more often. It really is hard to hook up an 800hp car. If I had one, I'd probably hit a good regional track and lay down some times, but I bet most of the times would not be impressive in relation to the MPH. I'd probably be running mid 10's at 140-150mph - and everyone would go "but how come you only run 10's and the gimps in TX run 9's?" and my answer would be "I ran an 11.6 stock - at 116mph. If ET was all I wanted, go get slicks and skinnies and toss some drag shocks on the car.. but I want more than that.. I want power... and power is MPH, not ET".

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, I will certainly be taking my DLM car to the dragstrip on a regular basis. Although I'm hardly God's gift to dragracing, I expect to be able to run low/mid 10s in the 140s without too much work. The only fly in the ointment is NHRA changed the rules for '02 to require a cage/chute on any car running &gt;135 mph (down from last year's 150 mph) so I'll have to find a permissive track...

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
"I ran an 11.6 stock - at 116mph. If ET was all I wanted, go get slicks and skinnies and toss some drag shocks on the car.. but I want more than that.. I want power... and power is MPH, not ET".

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DAAAAAAAAAAAMN Mike you ran 11.6 stock. WOW impressive man.

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that when discussing the brute force of a car (HP/torque), MPH is the most important factor. But, when looking at the overall drivability of a car, ET plays a big factor. Weight transfer/efficiency of the suspension is gonna factor into ET, and I think that counts for something. Driver also plays a big part in ET, but the better the suspension, the easier it is to launch = better times. I think HP/Torque=Big MPH, but great ET gives hints at a) driver skill, and b) the cars ability to hook.
I guess all I'm saying is don't ignore ET. I think it's more exciting to hear "That DLM car went 10.1" than it is to hear "that DLM car went 150 mph". Although it's best to hear both
smile.gif

Just my (most likely ignorant) opinion.

Regards,
Clint

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never seen a drag race where the winner was declared to be the one with the highest mph. While mph directly relates to hp, it is ET that wins races. What do you guys say to the vette that beats you with a lower mph, "well my car may be slower but I have more hp than you...."!?!?
From a roll (supra style), mph may be the winner, but for those who race, ET is the measure.

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I have never seen a drag race where the winner was declared to be the one with the highest mph. While mph directly relates to hp, it is ET that wins races. What do you guys say to the vette that beats you with a lower mph, "well my car may be slower but I have more hp than you...."!?!? From a roll (supra style), mph may be the winner, but for those who race, ET is the measure.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

^^^^^great point!

BYT U L8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think anyone was arguing the rules of drag racing. Yes, fastest time wins...I believe someone's point was there are those who are good off the light and can beat a faster car because of someones poor reaction time. Their point was the car was able to go faster in the same distance, period.
Regards.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reaction time does not figure into the ET. I understand the point. Some people want a car that is faster in the quarter mile (lowest ET). Some people want a car with more hp (higher MPH).

Actually...We all probably want both!

Viper89

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone of You is a lucky owner of a Viper Venom 800TT? That car is amazing. There is no such a nice Viper here in Sweden.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My .02

quicker (time) = ET's = win at drag strip
faster (speed) = MPH = win on the street

Do you want a faster car, or a quicker car? What is your primary use of the car? I know mine
smile.gif

Play by the rules of the game. If you want to win at the track then yes ET is king. We have little choice with the Viper other than play the MPH game. It's never going to click off low ET's easily like many other cars can.

I've raced many a 10 sec car at the track and you would be surprised how slow they get towards the end, alas if I only had 500 more feet
frown.gif

USAF BAD ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
those are old news... DLM, APEX, and some of the other guys rule the roads now with some crazy 700-800 hp beasts... although they don't do the body kit mods like the venoms, so they look the same.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MES:

quicker (time) = ET's = win at drag strip
faster (speed) = MPH = win on the street

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree with Mes's point.
But my days at the racetrack are pretty much done and I've raced my whole life. My son does like to take the my car to the track from time to time, I don't.
Since I drive my car only on the street I want MPH. What the heck would I do with ET on the highway???? I want a car that pulls hard and never stops pulling.

Max

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

I would say why you don't see many DLM cars at the track (well, at least mine) is because of the factor WHY they bought a s/c package. If all I wanted was E.T. or just cared about a 1/4, which means nothing on the street from a roll, I would have gotten inexpensive NO2 from DLM . I don't go to the track, my car is my dialy driver and I wanted power under the go go pedal ALL the time. On the street MPH is king. E.T. is quick, MPH is fast. My car will NOT stop pulling even, going from 4th to 5th, no end in sight and it scared the living $hit out of 'ya..
smile.gif
... I can again do it at the next light, or next highway and on and on.

Gerald

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is easy; if you're like me, I want the never ending pull. Anyone who wants to race for 60 feet can have it, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe the MPH crew should build a track 4 times as long as the quarter, then race for a half mile. Then who does the talking?

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we are all speaking the same language. If you race from a stop light the lower ET will win, at least up to 120 mph. Most stop light races are over long before 120 I hope!
In racing a supra from a roll (highway), MPH will win.
IOW:
Low ET wins from the stop light and at the drag strip
High mph wins from a roll..

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
&gt; Low ET wins from the stop light and at the drag strip.

Although that's intuitive, I think it is incorrect. Conditions at the drag strip are far different from those on the street -- at least around here, our stoplights don't come complete with a waterbox and VHT prep on the intersection
smile.gif
In addition, on the street you're rolling around on regular tires rather than slicks, and your suspension setup is for balanced performance rather than optimized for acceleration.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
&gt; PS Ben, how is your son liking that cool minibike?

He likes it a lot, but interestingly he prefers to ride his little bicycle most of the time. We let him go faster on his bike, and braking is more intuitive...

Still, another year or so when I pop the restrictor back a couple notches, I suspect the dirtbike will rise in popularity
smile.gif

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think what we all should get out of this conversation is that if you can run 11.6 stock, no one can tell you a thing you don't know about et vs. mph.

I wish they would get Mike to run the SRT-10.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to mention that I don't think it is legal to use parachutes on the street.
smile.gif

Definately the traction is better at the track, particularly if you use slicks. But on street tires, the car that pulls the lower et at the track should still be faster at the stoplight no matter the mph. I don't change my suspension settings from street to strip (except tire pressure), I think few Vipers do.

PS Ben, how is your son liking that cool minibike? I am trying to decide on when to get my daughter into carting. She is almost 2 but I already have plans for her to be the first woman in F1!