Very bad speeding ticket situation HELP!

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got nailed with a 90/70 speeding ticket last night. I have 9 points on my liscense currently (from 3 speeding tickets that I got in a 6 month period back in 1999). I got in 2 accidents back in 1994, but other than that I have a clean record both driving and criminal.

Obviously, I need to get a lawyer. But beyond that, is there anything that anyone out there can recommend? Paths to follow, ideas to try, loop holes, etc...

Can something like this be reduced to 0-2 points (as it stands I believe it's 3 points).

KingSnake97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about the ticket. But I get stopped all the time but I have a ..... (Lets just say get out of jail free card!). A lot of people try going to court and (1)If the officers not there they will say not guilty. (beiing the officers not in court they would have to let you go or drop the charges. (2)Cops dont like to goto court on there vacation time your lawyer can try to find when he goes and then get a continuence in that time period. (3) Ask for a violation amendment "The classic Plea Bargin" in most cities the officer can change the charge to one that carries no points. The judges will usually go along with this, since they are often getting a fine from you, so you would winn as well because the fine is lower and no points are assessed. So your insurance is not affected. (4) If you were cloocked with a speeding device next time ask to see it. Its your right. a lot of officers are not certified to use it. or there card may be expired. If can't produce a card or certification to convince the court that the equiipment was used properly, you may come out on top in court.

Good Luck
Turan

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In most states you can voluntarily take a driver's education course, which will reduce points on your license. Strategically, (confirm with your attorney first for your state and area) you take the course first, get the points reduction, then have the paper to present either in court or preferably to the commonwealth's attorney beforehand to either get a reduction (from the commonwealth's attorney) or dismissal (from the judge). Note, given your record, the judge probably won't dismiss on this basis, but you may still get a reduction from the commonwealth's attorney, so that's probably your best option. Also, if you were nice to the officer, the commonwealth's attorney is more willing to be flexible.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YAHOO!!!! Finally someone with the b***s to tell it like it is. This is a "you play, you pay" situation. If you are not willing to deal with the consequences of your actions, then alter your actions.

I admit that I drive faster than the posted speed limit. I try very hard to be careful and not to drive too fast for conditions (weather, traffic, my degree of tiredness, etc) and if I do get pulled and get a ticket, then that's the risk I take. I can stop speeding at any time so I have noone to blame but myself.

All that being said, an attorney may be able to help you keep your license.

Why not take your car to the track? Ride with Big Jim at VIR and crest the hill at the end of the straight at 145 or so - you'll realize that 90 on the highway is pretty wimpy.
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I'm not trying to deflect blame or anything, but, like I said, I haven't had a speeding ticket in almost 2 years. I wouldn't have had this one except that it was instant-on laser, and it was the end of a 10 hour drive.

In any event, trust me when I say, I hear what you're saying.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would seek a political solution as oppossed to a potential and somewhat likely court room debacle. Work with your local party rep. to understand the machinery and how to best navigate (read grease) through it.

Do not accept a guilty verdict no matter what. Appeal as many times as necessary!

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might try the National Motorists Association at the following URL:
http://www.motorists.org/issues/tickets/ticket_fighting_info_strategies.html

Their website offers tips on fighting various kinds of speeding tickets. I don't know much about the organization itself but the defense strategies look interesting anyway. They also sell various information products which I can't vouch for, but thought this might be helpful to you.

Good Luck

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BigJim - VA 96GTS:
I have some advice: Call me an ******* , but you should go to court, pay your fine, lose your license, and be happy with it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although BigJim is often right on about a lot of things, I don't see a problem with raising a little h*ll about getting the ticket. 90 in a 70 is no big deal. Interstate speed limits are so ridiculously slow the cops could nail just about anybody any time. Tie up the court system as much as possible. What good is it anyway? They never throw the bad men in jail for very long (if at all) anyway.

How much did society gain by people like BigJim or myself going to jail for traffic violations? No drunk driving for me, mine were drag racing on vacant road, paperwork mistake by the state of Florida on my registration and "fleeing and attempting to elude an office of the law." Alright, so I deserved the last one.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2TALL, I only had 1 speeding ticket in my entire driving history until I moved to Michigan 5 years ago. Now I have a total of 5. Two by the Canton police, one by the Livonia police, and the other one I can't remember. But, luckily none in my Viper or I probably would have been thrown in jail for some of the speeds I have taken it to. I just pay the fine and **** it up, but it looks like you have a lot of points built up. Good luck.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Providing you don't mind spending money on this, FIGHT THE TICKET! Show up to court and hope the cop doesn't. If he does ask for an adjournment to a later date and be sure to let them know you will fight this fully AND APPEAL if necessary. They need to know this initially, because it costs the state time and money to fight you and they would like to avoid it.

The most important thing you can do is HIRE A LOCAL LAWYER!. This alone got me clean out of a ticket in a small town in upstate NY. Hopefully this local lawyer plays golf with the Judge.

At minimum you should be able to get the points reduced with a decent lawyer and then take the point reduction course and maybe hang on to your license.

Good luck.

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It just seems like with the Viper I am very cautious. Four years ago I had a NASTY ticket. Sixty-five in a twenty-five! I was really being stupid. I went home shaking and paid the ticket immediately. I called my lawyer the next day, and he told me I should not have paid the ticket without calling him first. He helped me keep my license, but I did attend driving school for a couple of weekends. I learned my lesson.

Now, when I get the urge, I drive a half mile down a remote highway, and drive the same route back. Then I have some brief fun on that stretch of road. A policeman friend recommended that to me. No guarantees, but it seems to be the best way to play around as cautiously as I can. I unfortunately have no local track. Watch out for Deer!

Good luck;

Jim

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need a traffic attorney, 2tall. Not a generalist who does an occasional DUI, but somebody who specializes in moving violations. Ask about his track record. If he is proud of it, he'll tell you. If not, then keep looking. Ideally, you want someone who practices in that county, to keep his travel expenses down. (yep- you pay 'em)

A traffic attorney is not cheap- often more than the ticket. Worth it? I think so. I don't trust my driving record to a group I found on the internet- I want a lawyer who knows all the ins & outs of the local system. Each of us has received tickets we know we deserved, but we each got one we feel shafted about. Fight 'em all- your insurance agent will be glad you did.

How to find one? Check in your local car clubs, starting with your local VCA chapter, then try the Cobra Club, Ferrari & Porche clubs, etc. Forget the Model A & Volvo clubs- they won't have a clue.
You must be registered for see images

My last ticket was for 86 in a 55 on a twisty mountain road. He got me dead to rights coasting down from a MUCH HIGHER speed. (I had just passed The Ancient Driver) On our day in court, I watched the officer testify against two other people who (it seemed to me) were getting screwed, yet the judge left them paying hefty fines. My attorney punched huge holes in his testimony with the aid of the state's own radar expert. IMHO, you don't get that satisfaction from a mail order kit.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Friend: You need a traffic attorney, 2tall. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear Sammy Haggar has good attorneys for high speed. Don't take advice on it from Joe Walsh though even if he says life's been good.