Very frustrated with CAGS on Gen 4

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently not only cannot be cheaply defeated but it is also so well pronounced when driving the car. :omg: Not sure how it is configured but somehow consierably more annoying than in a vette which incidentally has very similar electronic throttle and the same tranny. Go figure...:crazy2:

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1st-4th skip shift. That's what its known as on the Corvette.

Very annoying. One of the first things I did on all my cars so equipped was disable it.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1st-4th skip shift. That's what its known as on the Corvette.

Very annoying. One of the first things I did on all my cars so equipped was disable it.
I would too, IF I could. It is not the fact it is there, it is on Corvette as well but it is not as nearly as pronounced as it is on the Viper, in stop and go heavy traffic, it is beyond annoying. Slight tap on throttle makes it go away, not so on the Viper.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In four Vipers I've never had a problem with it but I don't shift to second at 1500 RPM.
Kicks off at 2500 in first I believe. Vettes have to be similar RPM no?

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In four Vipers I've never had a problem with it but I don't shift to second at 1500 RPM.
Kicks off at 2500 in first I believe. Vettes have to be similar RPM no?
Yeah, this sounds about right although may be a bit lower in Vette or at least it feels this way. The problem I have is once it goes in the fourth in Viper, it is next to impossible to downshift, unlike in the Vette. 2nd gear takeoff eliminates this issue for me but still *****. I am not sure about 2500 takeoffs in heavy traffic, LOL...

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Shift at proper RPMs and you'll never experience it. This is what my mechanic said when I once complained about CAGS on my vette, "Stop driving it like a p***y".

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It can be a PIA but when it does catch me (rarely), I just switch from 4th into 2nd without ever letting the clutch out in between. Just try not to be in a hurry to hit 2nd even in slow moving traffic and you will be fine. The revs between 1500-3000 don't hurt the engine lol.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shift at proper RPMs and you'll never experience it. This is what my mechanic said when I once complained about CAGS on my vette, "Stop driving it like a p***y".
I guess I need a sign for people ahead of me to let them know.. Hey, a sign I TAKE OFF AT 2500 RPM should make them move faster, LOL...

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When it does catch me I naturally push it up into 3rd as soon as I feel getting diverted to 4th. Usually I know it is coming because of traffic or a slow area.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Your mechanic probably never lived where there was traffic to contend with. He probably is the kind who likes to be told by people what to do and when to do it. The people who typically are annoyed by CAGS are the same types who want to shift when they deem it is appropriate, not when someone else decides for them.

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The skip shift can be eliminated in model year 2008 Gen IV Vipers via a bypass plug. In the Corvette world it's known as a CAGS eliminator.
Using the bypass plug in MY 2009 & 2010 Vipers will eventally set a diagnostic code unless you are running the Mopar PCM.

Last edited:

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been in touch with two different gentlemen at SnakeOyl products and both promised to get back to me with an answer to the question..."can you disable the skip-shift feature on a Gen IV 2008 Viper ACR?". Neither gentleman has been courteous enough to reply even after a couple additional "reminder' emails. I hope it is just that my emails got "lost in the shuffle of a hectic business day". Perhaps this post will jog their memory and the membership will get an answer to this annoying problem. It is not an issue of shifting like a p-ssy, it is an issue of shifting when we want to shift.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well put, I would like to drive my car the way I see fit, not the way that fools the ECM in my car. I would like to see this mechanic navigate in heavy traffic too, no doubt he would be calling all other drivers the same name. Again, I just do not understand why Vette with electronic throttle creates no issues disabling this annoying feature while Chrysler made it impossible.

I have been in touch with two different gentlemen at SnakeOyl products and both promised to get back to me with an answer to the question..."can you disable the skip-shift feature on a Gen IV 2008 Viper ACR?". Neither gentleman has been courteous enough to reply even after a couple additional "reminder' emails. I hope it is just that my emails got "lost in the shuffle of a hectic business day". Perhaps this post will jog their memory and the membership will get an answer to this annoying problem. It is not an issue of shifting like a p-ssy, it is an issue of shifting when we want to shift.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this, however, I do not want to spend a grand to get this done while rendering my car illegal on the street and apparently forced to use 93 octane gas which is not even available around my kneck of the woods. I also do not want to drive anticipating CEL to come on... Not a single bright mind out there to figure this one out apparently...
The skip shift can be eliminated in model year 2008 Gen IV Vipers via a bypass plug. In the Corvette world it's known as a CAGS eliminator.
Using the bypass plug in MY 2009 & 2010 Vipers will eventally set an diagnostic code unless you are running the Mopar PCM.

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Apparently not only cannot be cheaply defeated but it is also so well pronounced when driving the car. :omg: Not sure how it is configured but somehow consierably more annoying than in a vette which incidentally has very similar electronic throttle and the same tranny. Go figure...:crazy2:[/QUOT

What year?
I used my 07 Z06 skip shift plug for my 08 Viper. Four years now and now codes, bought it on Ebay for under $10.
I don't see that one listed on Ebay now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year?
I used my 07 Z06 skip shift plug for my 08 Viper. Four years now and now codes, bought it on Ebay for under $10.
I don't see that one listed on Ebay now.

09. My vette is 09 as well, my Z06 was 09, too. The resistance varies among different CAGS eliminators. If you have a Gen 3, you can use vette eliminator, not so with Gen4.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not experienced this? The gen 3 cars must not have the same problem.
They do not, Gen 4 only. Your car does not have electronic throttle. I am frustrated because vettes have throttle by wire but CAGS is easily defeated, in fact, you do not even need the adapter hooked up at the tranny, a smart fuse does the trick.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score

As you can see by my previous quote (above), I would also buy the skip shift eliminator but SnakeOyl will not give me a definitive answer. Maybe this thread will spur them on to give us all an answer so we can move on this issue.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As you can see by my previous quote (above), I would also buy the skip shift eliminator but SnakeOyl will not give me a definitive answer. Maybe this thread will spur them on to give us all an answer so we can move on this issue.
This looks like any other bypass harness, hard to believe that nobody would be able to come up with it for last three years. From what I understand, there are different values of resistence used by different bypass makers, did someone come up with the correct one for 09-10? Hate to spend sixty bucks on something that does not do anything specific for these two years.

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Skip Shift is not defeatable (without eventually setting a PCM code) on model year 2009-2010 Vipers using the factory PCM.
BTW: I also used a bypass plug set from my last Corvette on my 08 Viper without issue, so they may all be the same part.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine