Vette as Daily Driver

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the advent of the C6, I'm thinking about buying a 3-4- yr-old C5 as a daily driver because their prices are heading in the toilet. I currently have high bid on an '02 on eBay.
Any of you use a Vette as a work car?

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 02 Vette as a daily car for 1.5 years. 20000 miles a year. No problem whatsoever. I traded that and now I have the 02 Viper as a daily driver.

OP
OP
G

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be a little difficult for me to use the Viper as a daily because of weather, city parking, and other. A Vette might work, though.

(Why do people buy cars like Hyundai XG350Ls when they could buy interesting used cars. I don't get that.)

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mostly because "interesting" cars cost a lot more to repair.

With the Vette you get similar problems as the Viper. Low ground clearance, people stealing the badges, tire caps. If you don't have SAFE parking stick with a normal car.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Vette is a "normal" car. Nobody cares about them thus a great daily driver. Plus the tiny motor comes in handy with good gas mileage.

OP
OP
G

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Vette is a "normal" car. Nobody cares about them thus a great daily driver. Plus the tiny motor comes in handy with good gas mileage.

The proverbial "Hitting the nail on the head."

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Friend has had 4 C5s and just got a C6. They were all daily drivers except for in the rain. All with nary a problem.
I just use an old ****** taurus wagon for daily, rain, snow driving.

Ivory

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use my C5 as a daily driver. Runs like a Buick and no one bothers it. Nice for dinner out and trips to the local mall for worry free shopping.

Due to traction control, can be driven during the winter on clear days with plowed roads.

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boy, you're not kidding about the prices on the floor. There are some crazy deals out there. Check out "hemmingsmotornews . com" Even the Z06 cars are cheap. I am sure you could knock another 2-3K of the price on dealer cars and 4-5K off private sale cars. Check these out...

Vehicles: CORVETTE: 2001 Z06, 6-speed, with 13,234 actual miles, black with black leather, excellent condition, $32,995

Vehicles: 2004 Black Corvette Z06, Only 6,088 Miles
$37,990

Vehicles: CORVETTE: 2001 Z06, black, black interior, 16K miles, 6-speed, nice car, $35,900

Edgar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use mine all the time. Very comfortable and well behaved and nice room for two if you need it.

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any reason for the Vette over the Viper?

I know my 96 wasn't a good daily driver, but I'm thinking that a 2002 or possibly an SRT-10 should be as good an everyday driver as my 04 C5 Vette coupe. Particularly now that hard lids for the RT/10s can be put in the trunk.

No?

And any advantage to the Vette as a daily driver over a 2003 SRT?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Any reason for the Vette over the Viper?

I'm approaching a mid-life crisis, so I've been thinking about a Vette. My wife laughs at me b/c she said that I already have the viper and that should do it for me... but I remind her that viper isn't a midlife crisis car... Vette is!

See what happens when your daily driver is an SUV... blech!

JD

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I drove my Corvette every day to work for several years, and I enjoyed it, having no real problems.

And for the last 3 years I've driven my Viper most every day as well. :laugh:

The Corvette would have admittedly been better suited if I had a long commute, but I don't. And we don't have harsh winters here either, which helps.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My 96 C4 automatic is a very nice car for a daily driver. I take the Vette wherever I go unless I need to haul something. The Viper is for special days.

I get 22mpg with the Vette. I took it to the drags two years ago, just for fun, and it ran 13.6 at 102, no, that's not Viper speed, but it is a very fast car for every day driving.
As someone said above, I don't understand why anyone would buy a new, moderate performance car when they could buy a used C5 at such a good price.

I never had any trouble with my C4, it now has 99k miles.
I don't think Vettes are any more expensive to maintain than big Buicks or Cadillacs.

The funny thing is, every so often, someone will say something like, "nice car".
Having the Viper and driving the Vette as a regular car, I often forget that some people look at a 96 C4 as special. Well, it is a Vette.
Everyone should have one. Cheap fun.

OP
OP
G

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A dude can buy a lot of Vette for $20K these days.
(My Financial Director at work just bought a $38K minivan and she's goo-goo over it. I'd rather have the 20K Vette.)

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I sold my vette 97 C5 with all options and 10 grand in mods. Ran low 12's and looked real good. Only had 38k on the clock. Sold it for 20,000 to my friend. :usa:

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We just bought a 04 for 11K off the MSRP :eek:
637vet_back-med.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960