Vette Recall -- Don't follow those new Vettes too closely...

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vette Recall -- Don\'t follow those new Vettes too closely...

...they're coming unglued. :bonker:

"Separately, NHTSA said General Motors Corp. is recalling 30,793 Chevrolet Corvette cars from the 2005-2006 model years as the adhesive between the roof panel and the frame may separate and the roofs could fly off.

'If there is a complete separation, the roof panel may detach from the vehicle and it could strike another vehicle and cause injury and property damage,' NHTSA said."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/05/26/volkswagen_recall.reut/index.html

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Vette Recall -- Don\'t follow those new Vettes too closely...

Instant convertable! I'll bet this has a few Vette owners coming unglued. Heh Heh Heh

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Checking the vette boards indicates that this is not a rare occurance. Several reports of the top flying off the car while in motion. Of course that is assuming they can actually start the car with the number of dead battery syndrome they have as well.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Checking the vette boards indicates that this is not a rare occurance. Several reports of the top flying off the car while in motion. Of course that is assuming they can actually start the car with the number of dead battery syndrome they have as well.

Thank You CAAP. My roof only come off when I want it too.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Think the Vette fans will "stick around"?

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nah! They'll blow their tops when they read this thread. Heh Heh Heh

K

Kaya

Hehehe, I am happy to be getting my 2006 Viper coupe....

The new Z06 is NOT a hardtop car. It has a bolted down targa top. If you compare the new Z06 to the C5 you will notice that the C5 Z06 is a convertible with a fixed hard top and the C6 Z06 uses the coupe and just installs a non removable targa top. The problem with this is that the targa top still leaves the targa seals on the roof...which may degrade over time and it also makes the new Z06 susceptible to the peeling roof syndrome.

My 2002 Z06 actually had a hardtop like the Viper. Chevy should have made a fixed roof coupe...but they didn't.

What a mess.

Can not wait for my car to get here.....hopefully in the next few days...

K

Kaya

My husband's comment is "On the fly, weight reduction....new feature"

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

NHSTA: Memo

Dear Owners of 2005 and 2006 Chevrolet Corvettes,

Be advised we are instituting a recall on your vehicle due to the loss of roof components and therefore you should contact your local Dealer as soon as possible prior to going *******. Institute the following procedure to get your subject vehicle to a Chevrolet Franchise.

1. Apply Superglue to your driver's seat so in the case of loss of cabin pressure from a ******* incursion, you don't get sucked out of said, suspect vehicle.
2. Don't even think about not using your seatbelt.
3. Proceed to repair facility at 30 mph---do not flip off fellow drivers flying by you in their Aveos.
4. Bring a suitable sleeping bag to camp out with your fellow Vette owners waiting to get their performance sports cars repaired. This could turn out to be a local club gathering , so contact your local Vette Club President to join in the fun.
5. Sing together with your fellow owners............." Solid as a Rock, " then maybe enjoy a rousing rendition of Kumbaya!
6. Tell your friends you haven't been at work, as you have been at a " ******* Club. " Just refrain from being specific and explaining it is only for 2005-2006 Vette owners, and has nothing to do with what their dirty little minds are thinking.

Enjoy your vehicle and be safe.

US Government Dept. of News and Public Awareness Council
May, 2006

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

if you can't run with the big dogs, you had better stay home on the porch. Hell I can't wait to get back from vacation so I can hassle my brother in law about his 05 vette. He wanted a convertable and now he can have it for free.

OP
OP
V

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice one, Bill. Thanks for the laughs.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The window sticker should read:

Options:

- Convertible Top (not an option)

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

the adhesive between the roof panel and the frame may separate and the roofs could fly off.

Glue???

...vettes are held together by glue???

What does an epiphany feel like? I think I just had one....

K

Kaya

Glue???

...vettes are held together by glue???

What does an epiphany feel like? I think I just had one....

Ohh yes dear....vettes are held together with glue and epoxy/silicone

I have owned two hardtop vettes...an FRC and a Z06 and both cars had issues with the hardtop not being completely glued on....the FRC was so bad that my headliner was wet and I had at least an inch of water in the floorboards. Enough for me and my husband to strip the interior ourselves and to have a major fight with the dealer that involved lawyers.

This causes leaking when you drive the car and it rains...the fix is lots of black silicone. We have been to the factory many times and they do watertest the cars...they have plenty of black silicone ready for the cars that leak along the area above the trunk decklid on the hardtop cars (C5's). Apparently the machine that sprays the top adhesive...isn't always as accurate as its supposed to be.

You also have to have someone who knows their stuff fix any windshield changes in a vette. They leak if they are not done a certain way.

With that said....I was able to fix both cars leaking problems and I owned my Z06 for 4 1/2 years and was 100% pleased with the 02 Z06. The only reason I sold my Z06 is because I got such a great deal on an 06 Viper coupe and the Z06 was out of warranty....and the other small fact that my husband took a job with dodge as new car sales :)