Vettes crying again

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the Vettes placed higher overall at last years SCCA Runoffs, the Vipers were allowed to go without restrictor plates this season.

A Viper down in Florida apparently showed up the morning of a National club race with no qualifying so he started from the back and in 4 laps was in front and spanked a field of Vettes so hard he slowed down on the last lap to let one catch up so it would seem close.

Vettes crying.

Archer and Baker set new T1 records at Mid Ohio and Nelson Ledges.

Vettes cry more.

As of 6/1 the restrictor plates go back on and take us back @13hp.

Booooo Hoooo!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This weekend Bobby Archer and Deb Loth will be tearing up Texas World Speedway in a Double National ( SCCA )Race ,so expect the sob to become a full blown tantrum. I will predict a 1-2 finish for these two, but won't predict who will be numero Uno, as even Bobby will tell you that Deb is a new phenom in her T1 Snake. Best of luck to both of them , and the Bowties better have bibs, cuz a crying towel will be a major necessity.

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont understand why there is this thing about dissing the Vette.

It is a beautiful car, and for its price nothing comes close to it in terms of performance, looks, comfort and handling.

Vipers are awesome, but on the street its like comparing apples and oranges. IMHO

Reaction score
I dont understand why there is this thing about dissing the Vette.

It is a beautiful car, and for its price nothing comes close to it in terms of performance, looks,
comfort and handling.

Sorry Afy but thats not true. The Camaro SS has almost the same powertrain as the C5 (slightly decammed)and costs 20k less than the C5. The 345 Hp in the C5 LS1 has been matched by LUXURY cars(Infinity Q45) and SUVs (Caddy Escalade)! The C5 power numbers have been stagnate for years. I speak from experience, I dumped my 99 C5 convertible for a new 2001 RT/10.....And when people say comparing a Vette to a Viper is "apples to oranges" well tell me why C5 engineer Dave Hill built a Z06. Corvette Quarterly has Dave Hill saying they wanted a 4.0 sec 0-60 car dubbed in press reports as the "Viper Killer". Sorry Dave but you and GM failed again.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A bit of economic envy showing here Roast Beast? I can assure you I did not find my success "lying in the street" and D*** sure don't appreciate anyone assuming that just because I have acquired some "things"! I've worked very hard and my success lies in the great relationships I have with God, my family and my friends and business associates. Your post reminds me of those that think a hot car is all life is about. Sure there is luck involved, but luck is when preparation meets opportunity. You make your own breaks. Just my $.02
You must be registered for see images

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right on Don, hard work has made me successful and if their is that kind of cash "lying in the gutter" then I should rethink my business philosophy. LOL...I dont think so. And I am SO TIRED of hearing that the VETTE is all that for the money, or is that the money that it losses as you drive it off the showroom floor, all 30,000 per year they make. NO THANKS< I'LL KEEP MY TWO VIPERS!!!

Charlie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don,
I had a comment but you've said it all. So for the moment I'll sit on my .02

OP
OP

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roast said "I see no reason performance car people should dislike other cars in the same group."

I like the Vette and I think the ZO6 is an excellent car. I agree for the money nothing comes close. I have lost to Vettes in club racing on more than one occasion and I respect the

I started this thread to point out that the Vettes are crying foul again in the SCCA T1 class and demanding the restrictors go back on. As usual they got their way bcause the SCCA is almost in bed with GM.

The Vipers only advantage has been it's sheer power and that is being taken away again with the restrictors. So now the Vette can keep up (ALMOST) and certainly underbrake us in to the corners.

Do you hear Viper guys crying and asking that the Vette be weight penalized or have the active suspension disabled? NO.

Vettes should focus on finally putting more power in to the car to MOVE UP to the Viper instead ot trying to drag us down.

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello out there;

Just couldn't help myself. Some of you may disagree. Tiger Woods would kick your butt with a 40 year old set of golf clubs. Tanya Harding would make your flexibility look pathetic. 13 horspower won't make a difference unless you are in the top 5% of skilled drivers. Think I am wrong? Spar with a 14 year old Black Belt in good shape. You may have more power, but you will bw humbled by skill.

Yes, I own a Viper; but a skilled driver with training in a Vette will hand you your walking papers in a hurry if you don't have the skill. Forget the HP, learn to drive. I am old enough to understand the difference. Give a million bucks to most twenty year olds and it will be gone in a heartbeat. My .02 cents.

Yours in senility;

Jim

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beasty, your third post (most recent) is more palatable, Thanks. I'm not saying I deserve my Viper, or anything else I have. I believe anything we have or are blessed with is ours to use for a greater purpose, to whom much is given, much is demanded. I too have many responsibilities, including my family, four corporations and five partnerships (all started from scratch), over 60 employees and their families, and community service on numerous boards. I'm not bragging, just a little standpoint from MY disposition at the moment. I don't feel I am any better than anyone else, just able to recognize and utilize my gifts and hope to help others do the same.

I started with zip economically, but I did have great parents and siblings and friends and mentors. I have and will always strive to be one of these myself. There have been times where I have wondered where the rent money will come from or if I will eat today.

That said, back to cars - The vette is great performance for the dollar, but you can't compare it to the Viper stock for stock. The Viper is a great value for the dollar if you consider that the only thing that can touch it performance-wise (stock) is a $120,000 Porsche or higher dollar Ferrari or Lambo. No one will argue the importance or happiness derived from whatever car you have or can afford, but trying to compare a vette and a Viper is like comparing a Viper and a Lambo, too different. (Except a stock Viper can run with a stock Lambo, but a stock vette would get toasted by a stock Viper, driving skill being equal.)

The thread started because the SCCA won't let the Viper run to it's strength, because there is no competition w/o restrictor plates. You acknowledge that and we agree, but I needed to put in my philosophical $.02 and I appreciate the ability on this board to do so.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, afraid things will be different as Bobby Archer took 1st this weekend at Texas World Speedway, and Deb Loth rallied from last on the grid to take an unofficial 4th - rumors of possible illegalities on the 3rd place Vette, may move her to the trophy position. With restrictor plates going on after 6/1/01 , it will be interesting to see how Vipers continue to do, but I for one, have alot of faith in the skills of Deb Loth and Bobby Archer.

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said Bill. I just wish that the SCCA would quit penalizing the Vipers. From what I observed here in Abilene several weeks ago when they were here, the Vipers weren't that much 'faster' than the Vetts, they were just driven better. Kevin Mixon in the LS6 powered Vett put up a great battle until his brakes went away and he called it quits with 12 LAPS to go. By the way, at that point, Bobby's brakes were mush also, in fact he had one caliper completely destroyed. The difference was that he just drove the heck out of it anyway. To me, that's driving skill and has nothing to do with car performance.

I watched the SCCA do this last year in the World Challenge series. Eventually, they penalized the Vipers to where they just could not compete.

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again, just like in WCGT, the car (Viper) gets penalized because of Archer's superior driving skills and the ability of his team (primarily Mark Lubin in this case) to prep the car. As many of you know, Bobby may not roll the fastest car off the trailer, but will work his a$$ off all weekend (testing shock settings at the short track across the street from Road Atlanta the night before the race last year comes to mind...) to get it right. The real losers here are some of the other guys racing T1 Vipers around the country.

zoomie

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
fwiw: http://www.lambocars.com/framed/index.htm
The Lamborghini Diablo, full specification list.
Max. power : 492 bhp at 7000 rpm
Max. torque : 580 Nm (428 lbs.ft.) at 5200 rpm
and $239,000.
The Viper GTS is listed as a 'competitor' class..
( no mention of Vettes which I think a great deal of.. )
As others have said, depends on the driver skill.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From Supercars.net -
2000 Lamborghini Diablo VT 6.0
Top Speed 329.9 kph / 205.0 mph
0 - 60 mph 3.95 seconds
0 - 1/4 mile 11.9 seconds
0 - 100 mph 8.9 seconds
Lateral Acceleration 0.99g EPA City/Hwy 11 / 17 mpg

From Popular Mechanics 8/97 -
0 - 1/4 mile 11.97 @ 118.88mph
0 - 60 mph 3.89 seconds
Lateral Acceleration 1.0g

From Dodge Viper Central-
Top Speed - 189 mph
0 - 1/4 mile 12.2 @ 118.8 mph
0 - 60 mph 4.1 seconds
Lateral Acceleration 1.0g

I said the Viper could <u>run with</u>, not necessarily beat the Lambo, a lot closer than the Vette/Viper specs and a lot bigger price differential! (sorry to diverge from the original post!)

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Corvette guys are just too funny. Boy as soon as you try to give credit to where credit is due, that guys like Archer are great drivers these guys go off the deep end. They are so bitter that the Viper has been kickin their butts they go off the deep end in SCCA. Next we will have to drive on 3 wheels. Wow, just too funny, might have to let a few Corvettes beat me next time so they dont get so mad...LOL...

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That kind of a bold statement MY VETTE, I know one thing on the street I dont drive nuts, so I guess I am afraid to go fast...or more to the point why? To wreck my car or get someone killed, or lose my license? But if you think you want some bragging rights come on up to Pocono or a road course, and lets talk about 160-180 MPH....NO PROBLEM here....and then brag all you want.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike H:
That kind of a bold statement MY VETTE, I know one thing on the street I dont drive nuts, so I guess I am afraid to go fast...or more to the point why? To wreck my car or get someone killed, or lose my license? But if you think you want some bragging rights come on up to Pocono or a road course, and lets talk about 160-180 MPH....NO PROBLEM here....and then brag all you want.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike, I just got back from Watkins Glen....no Vipers there...

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets look at the previous GM racing history. As a racer from the S/S and Pro Stock era, this handicap thing, restrictors, is not new. You make a class, call it run what you brung. Then somebody dominates, hint Mopar, and you run to the sanctioning body and whine. Just because GM has a bigger market share and more dollars to spend on the sanctioning body, you get a rule change, now your factored. Why not just make a car that can win heads up?
Hell Corvette had to make a 427 to keep up with the Viper at Daytona, did that come in their street car. They had to put a V8 in a Vega to beat the Hemi in Pro Stock, they had to make lower classes in S/S so they could win. Eventually we, Mopar get factored out of existence again. Watch what happens to the Craftsman trucks soon!

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ALEX......my friend has the new 2001 6.0 diablo and I have gone head to head with him twice, the first time at a red light I got a jump on him (I think?!!?, I went when he yelled go) and had 1-1.5 car lengths, there was a car so I shut down maybe he would have caught up, second time he got the jump on me and I made it to third gear trailing the whole time and he was about a car length in front and pulling away, I slowed so he could get in my lane because we were catching up to a car in his. Both times very close, but very short runs. If he didnt have AWD it would be a much more even (fair) challenge, I dont really know how to launch my car at its full potential so I am basically punching it once I get it rolling. My car is a GEN I with only smooth tubes and filters, I will be getting exhaust soon, according to him he has an upgraded exhaust. I am not too sure about his driving abilities obvioulsy that will make a great difference. Just to clarify we werent doing this in traffic the road was clear, we caught up to a single car and thats why I slowed down.

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adelberg and his Viper just got back from a TCCRA race at Buttonwillow. There were a couple of Vettes there (inc. a Speedvision Vette). It was hard for him to keep the Vette in sight though because his rear view mirrow wasn't adjusted right. Adelberg & Schley went 1-2 last weekend. Lil' Whoadie's all growns up!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery