Vid of dragstrip run - comments on shifter shimmy welcome.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used my POV helmet cam at the track rental John arranged at Capitol on Friday ... man what a blast. A handful of cars & an open track, I forgot how fun driving in a straight line can be.

I posted the link to a video below, can you guys watch my shifter and let me know if y'all get this same type of shimmy in the lever? I missed 3rd twice that day.

Car is running really strong considering the mods (see sig), 124.81 MPH.
I couldn't get outta the hole to save my life, my tires felt like I had driven thru a puddle of oil. Ran a few 12-teens, best was 12.13 with a 2.1 60 ft time (I know it *****), my best 60 ft was 2.08, just rediculous. I need tires bad, but I was very happy with the mph's I was running.

PS- sorry the vid goes on thru the return road & a discussion, I thought i tunred the camera off, but obviously didn't - oh, and no R/T comments, I ignored the tree on most runs trying to focus just on driving (you can hear me remind myself to ignore the tree, funny)

V.I.O. POV Manager Sharing Page

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool vid DMan !
I just bought the POV1.5 too. It is a really cool toy. I like the perspective from your helmet. You actually get a pretty good view from it. I mounted my bullet cam right above the rear view mirror.

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
try reving, to about 3000 to 3500 rpm.dump the clutch and squeeze the gas.it helped me alot.:)

Wow, I didn't have the track or tires for that method, anything off idle was a smoke fest. 1st gear was a half to 3/4 throttle effort at best all the way to redline, we had rain all that night & morning which didn't help traction, not to mention my runcraps are bologna-skins, well into the wear indicators.

When I had the car for 5 days I was hitting 1.8 60 ft times, with fresh tires & a decent track - but that was an on idle launch, with my MPH now up there in the 124 range, with good tires & a decent track I'm hoping for 11.7's or better.

I gotta get my SVS shifter installed too, and buy poly mounts, and new tires, and ... oh, brother ..

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Buddy I was there with you that day I had the red SRT 10 with the Carbon faced wheels.

I cut several 1.8's with a best of 1.81 on my Nitto Invo street tires, on my 20's.

It's definitely wheel hop. I watched you make several passes, and honestly you just need a decent burnout. You would usually just kind of spin them to get the water off slightly.

I bet if you went back and did a decent burnout spinning out of it toward the line you would have had better success.

I went 12.0@120 with a bone stock 03 on 20's and a full tank of gas. Your MPH was great all day with what few mods you have. Just do a better burnout and I bet that shimmy goes away.

Great job BTW Practice makes perfect!

Andy Wheeler

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"You would usually just kind of spin them to get the water off slightly."

If you have treaded tires, drive around the water box instead of through it.

The water will stay in the treads, and slick up your launch.

Just a short burnout to clean off your tires, and then up to the line.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"You would usually just kind of spin them to get the water off slightly."

If you have treaded tires, drive around the water box instead of through it.

The water will stay in the treads, and slick up your launch.

Just a short burnout to clean off your tires, and then up to the line.

Fully aware of that but sometimes a slightly substantial burnout even with treaded tires can get them cleaned off and ready to run.

I could cut regular 1.8's on my old runflats on my Vette if I got them hot enough even for a street tire.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Buddy I was there with you that day I had the red SRT 10 with the Carbon faced wheels.

I cut several 1.8's with a best of 1.81 on my Nitto Invo street tires, on my 20's.

It's definitely wheel hop. I watched you make several passes, and honestly you just need a decent burnout. You would usually just kind of spin them to get the water off slightly.

I bet if you went back and did a decent burnout spinning out of it toward the line you would have had better success.

I went 12.0@120 with a bone stock 03 on 20's and a full tank of gas. Your MPH was great all day with what few mods you have. Just do a better burnout and I bet that shimmy goes away.

Great job BTW Practice makes perfect!

Andy Wheeler

DMan I agree with Andy it was definately wheel hop! because you got no heat in your tires it was causing you to lose traction and wheel hop. If you ever want good times don't think about ever dumping your clutch unless you have after market half shafts and slicks with about a 6 grand leave. 1.81 with street tires is an excellent short time and you should take Andy's advice and copy his technique IMO.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Definitely don't "dump the clutch" with these cars unless you want to break something. I continue to hear this from club members, mostly newer ones.

We've seen a bunch of cars break half shalfts / CV joints, even with some higher dollar aftermarket 1/2 shafts.

There's a recent thread with Jamie (above) launching his 2008. Watch it and learn. RPM's up, slip the clutch a bit and go. You will need to warm up the tires first though.

I can get 0 to 60 in 3 flat with my supercharged car - no dumping whatsoever, but it does take some practice.

Dan

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, appreciate the input.

Andy, thanks, I remember your car, or rather drooling over your wheels, lol.

In the past, with my mustangs, my normal approach with street tires was to drive around the water, backup to damp concrete, do a nice smokey 2nd gear burnout & a dry hop & stage. I would've done some smokey's but honestly I was afraid to, I have so little tire on the back, I really had no business even running with my trashed tires, but I couldn't pass up the idea of a track rental. I think if I did one good burnout I'd be down to metal strands. Can't wait for tires & the next track day!

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with andy and jamie. Go around water box and back into it and do a full burnout. Wheel hop is very bad for half shafts and rear end parts. Your mph is awesome and should yield a mid 11 1/4 mile.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys, appreciate the input.

Andy, thanks, I remember your car, or rather drooling over your wheels, lol.

In the past, with my mustangs, my normal approach with street tires was to drive around the water, backup to damp concrete, do a nice smokey 2nd gear burnout & a dry hop & stage. I would've done some smokey's but honestly I was afraid to, I have so little tire on the back, I really had no business even running with my trashed tires, but I couldn't pass up the idea of a track rental. I think if I did one good burnout I'd be down to metal strands. Can't wait for tires & the next track day!

Well there you have it:) At least it's good to know that it was just wheel hop and nothing else. And I know what you mean about the rental. I was a track rat for so long I decided that my last two cars were not going that path, and when I was up there watching and taking pics the first thing I reached for was a helmet LOL.

Great seeing you, and great car as well, I look forward to seeing that thing in the mid 11's on some DR's:2tu:

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just modulate (slip) the clutch coming out of the hole and take it easy on the shifts if it is wheel hopping that much.

I like that camera!

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Track prep was unfortunately not ideal. My best 60 ft's were in the 1.8's as well, I actually had better 60 ft's on the PS2's than the old BFG's I had. I am sure I need to get more heat into the tires as well, however, I want to be able to drive home and I would get wicked wheel hop on the right side during the burnout, fear of breaking a half shaft would cause me to lift.

boosted349

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i only experience wheel hop when it is cold outside. when it is warm i do not get any. 06 cpe bone stock 12.0 @ 125 08 bone stock 11.3 @ 131

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960