Viewing (or not) the coolant recovery bottle

ByteMe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 1997 GTS. According to the service manual, there's somehow an easy method to view how full the coolant recovery bottle is. I pulled out the round wheel well plug (this is what some other posts mention doing) and can barely see the edge of the bottle - not enough to see the level. Any good ideas on this?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You DON'T have to pull the fascia AT ALL! Pull the rubber donut and then stick a flashlight into the hole. Then, the light will allow you to see the coolant level through the slot cut into the core support (down and in, with respect to the hole) where there are convenient marks for upper and lower limits molded into your core support.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard that if you then shine a light in the hole you can see the level. Did not work for me. So what I did was top it off, Add fluid until it won't take any more. I had the fascia off this year and filled it correctly then.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If you want to see level, look in the right front wheel well, just in front of the INNER side of the tire and you will see a small vertical "window" about1/2" wide and 3" tall...with two "bumps" ..one at top and one at bottom(should try to keep the coolant level between the "bumps" as measured cold)...THIS is the view port...wipe this window to clean it, THEN, remove the large rubber plug (you call wheel well plug) and place a STRONG light through this port RIGHT upon the bottle, and you can see the coolant level in the vertical slit. This is MUCH easier if you use a STRONG UV blue light...such as a 5 blue LED light by INOVA...this light will make the green antifreeze GLOW GREEN and the air above it GLOW PURPLE-BLUE...good luck !!!!

BIGBADCJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
takes 7 minutes to get the front facia off. and then u dont have to shine any lights. you can clean it because believe me there are things living in there. and u dont think u saw or maybe i saw. u will be there all night with a flashlight

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been checking coolant regulary using the above mentioned method for 5 years. My guess is if it took as long as you say, I'd have figured out a faster way by now. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You may have to get the light source close to the bottle, and Steve is right - the brighter the better - but that's the way to check it without taking your car apart. Removing the front fascia is WAY overkill, IMO, and not particularly convenient / efficient.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just take a small flashlight and with the rubber plug removed from the passenger side front wheel house...and shine it towards the bottle. The slot in the front part of the inner will show how much fluid is present.

There are marks molded into the wheelhouse to show the safe area. As Janni said...there's just no reason to take the fasica off for that.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni's method worked PERFECT for me....

What also help is bumping the car to have the liquid move a bit, while using the flash light.

Of course, if your really low, you will not see the fluid level with this method. Just begin to add antifreeze until you see the level. Much easier with an assistant as you view the level change. No need to remove the front bumper, IMHO.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my oil pan down last week to check my oil. It took me seven minutes.

BIGBADCJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
takes 7 minutes to get the front facia off.

OK, tell us how, cause taking all those wheel well screws loose doesn't do it.

rivets on the top in the hood, rivets in the middle, and all those bolts at the bottom. im gonna go for the record on the oil pan later. sorry janni for my 2 cents. i dont know much anyway.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW - 31 bolts on the oil pan - 2000 GTS. Torqued to 95 INCH pounds (NOT FOOT) if memory serves. How can I remember this sh*t, and forget my fiancee's birthday? I need to get a life.... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
B

ByteMe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I tried it last night and the rubber plug/flashlight method works great! The view port is hard to see at first as it is further to the inside of the wheelwell. Turning the tires to the left helped out.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
genXgts had the answer. For those having problems with the flashlight, try it in a garage at night. Small maglite inserted in hole, held right next to bottle makes it glow, especially at night!

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done this also, with success (flashlight inserted into the hole)...I found that turning the wheel all the way right or left helped some, if you want to get picky, pull the wheel off...I have done that also, just to be sure, the first time I checked the level...

Tomer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine