Viper ACR vs Porsche 996TT Video

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allen- You never talk about the Lotus. I saw an old beat up Lotus running autocross about a month ago @ New Hampshire International Speedway. Man nothing could touch that car on an autocross course. Looked like it would be a blast to drive.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hehe...I posted this same video a week ago and nobody cared. Thought it was a repost...Allan posts it and bam...Flys to [******]..lol

OP
OP
A

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, I love the Lotus. Awesome car! I just dont have it in Maui, so i dont drive it. Ill tell you this, much better car, in almost every way than my Ferrari 355.

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone (there appears to be several claims on this video) know if the ACR is stock or what has been done to it?

OP
OP
A

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the owner of the Porsche:

Oh dayum that's an oldie That was last summer at around 5am with a friend of mine.... The Viper has heads, cams, intake, headers, roller rockers, not cats, corsa exhaust. Back then were both making around 560 to the wheels or so. The color of the Viper is Saphire blue. It's the only Viper I've ever liked

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, this video has been out for a while. I believe that the only mods on the Viper were headers and Borla exhaust (which sounds great!). :)

If I remember right, the Porsche is pretty tweaked, with around 560HP+. The Wheels on the Viper are HRE 540s with the centers painted to match the Viper's dark blue factory paint.

I'd say that the cars were pretty evenly matched overall, which says a lot for the Viper. :laugh:

OP
OP
A

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snakester, if the Porsche is putting down 560 hp, the Viper would need more than headers and exhaust. Lets get real now.

These are the mods on the Viper:
The Viper has heads, cams, intake, headers, roller rockers, not cats, corsa exhaust. Back then were both making around 560 to the wheels or so.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awfully different outcomes from race to race.

Yep. That's because the Viper owner starts in the proper gear on 2 of them, and not in the other 2. Just listen.

Race #1 and #3 - Proper gear.

Race #2 and #4 - 1 gear too high on #2. At least 1 gear too high (maybe 2) in #4.

When cars are this evenly matched, starting in the proper gear is the difference between winning and losing.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snakester, if the Porsche is putting down 560 hp, the Viper would need more than headers and exhaust. Lets get real now.

These are the mods on the Viper:
The Viper has heads, cams, intake, headers, roller rockers, not cats, corsa exhaust. Back then were both making around 560 to the wheels or so.

The last time that I saw that Viper it did not have heads/cam and RRs, and the Porsche had a variable boost control.
it would certainly make sense that they had similar power, with similar weight, and similar acceleration. But I had only read about the power rating of the Porsche when this video first came out (560HP crank) with AWD's high drivetrain losses at work.
With the headers, catless, and Corsa exhaust, the Viper would likely be making about 540HP+ (crank) and more torque than the Porsche, so it's possible. But if you know more about later mods on these cars done before the race that's certainly possible too. ;)

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the owner of the Porsche:

Oh dayum that's an oldie That was last summer at around 5am with a friend of mine.... The Viper has heads, cams, intake, headers, roller rockers, not cats, corsa exhaust. Back then were both making around 560 to the wheels or so. The color of the Viper is Saphire blue. It's the only Viper I've ever liked

Thats strange...Way back when this video was posted on Supraforums[those guys are members there] one of the guys involved in the race that posted the vid said the Viper had ONLY exhaust and headers and the Porsche had chip and exhaust....Dont think its an X50 Porsche....Not bad for the Viper keeping up with a chipped turbo car with just headers and exhaust...

Heres a link for proof...Scroll down to Snipo's second post and he clears up what mods they both had...Its cleared up a few times so Im pretty sure in those runs the Viper didnt have heads and cam, roller rockers etc...Its an ACR by the way so it came with filter as was later clarified...

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134247

edit: sorry guys..seems that they moved the thread in a members only section....Heres the quote from the poster of the Video....

Snipo wrote
" Thanks for the replies guys. Mods are the same on the Viper(exhaust, headers) and Porsche(chip, exhaust) as in previous runs. Only difference this time is there was no passenger in the Viper. I am glad some of you enjoyed the bonus footage."

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
raced few 996TT's including X50's long time ago with my yellow viper it was bone stock back then didnt lose one, even if they got the jump! talked to few GT2 owners but they didnt race, i felt or knew GT2 are hard to beat with a stock viper but wanted to try. anyway i wont keep this a secret im organizing a race soon My FE viper Vs. 1000GXSR,R1, Busa, AnD a
Carrera GT yes a Carrera GT :headbang: i will keep you posted im doing an intro video this days i will post soon!

OP
OP
A

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the list of mods from the owner of the Porsche who is good friends with the Viper owner.

Either way, im for the Viper, sounds awesome!

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about no one paid attention to the fact that the porsche was automatic ? I think thats impressive given the drive train loss of both the auto and all wheel drive. Plus the porsche guy DID have dead weight (aka a passenger).

I was impressed with the porsche none the less. But a porsche will never grab the attention a Viper will. I tried this out, at a porsche club meeting, when I rolled up in my 2002 ACR.

I love both cars, plan to give my ACR an adopted little brother soon (a German boy).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant