Viper Cosmetics!

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my Viper was picked up by Show Car Services last Friday May 18th and should be arriving with Todd at A&C Performance today around noon out in California. I'm having several things done, but one of the minor things I can't seem to decide on are a few cosmetic touches!

Here are a few pictures of my car when keeping the suggestions in mind.
You must be registered for see images attach

1. The first thing, and the easiest thing would be the removal of the Fog Lamp Covers. I know the later GEN II's had their front fascia designed with open holes and no fog lamp covers. However, if I were to remove the fog lamp covers, won't you then be able to see the three tiny rectangular holes where the plastic parts of the cover insert into the bumper? Is it pretty noticeable or easy to fill so it looks like there were never any holes for the fog lamp covers there to begin with? Or should I just leave the Fog Lamp Covers on?

2. Egg Yolk Side/Corner Markers and Rear turn signal under tail lights. Should I switch to the clear side markers and get the rear turn signal redded out? I'm not sure what other options there are, but the orange/amber color obviously doesn't blend in with the car. Do you think they are fine the way they are, or should be changed in some way?

3. Headlights. Are there anyone running HIDS? Would these look nice? It seems the newer Vipers have them, and I always thought they looked nice on cars. I'm sure some people will be against them, but it was something else I was considering. Also, how much do they cost and where is a good place to buy them?

4. Brake Calipers. Three years ago I purchased a set of Dave's Big Brake kit. I remember being told that the red calipers look good on any car, and I believe someone told me I would be a poser lol if I were to have them any other color besides red or black. However, there really isn't any red on my car; other than the tail lights. I know the engine is red, but I'm having Todd Powder-coat it black, to go with my new jet hot coated black headers, and an all black custom breather system. I was considering having the calipers repainted in the same color blue as my car with the Viper lettering added back on in either white, silver/grey or black(I think my red one's right now have silver/grey lettering). However, I really want them to pop and stand out as you can clearly see them through my wheels, and them being red at the moment does a good job at that. This was my reasoning not to have them black, so they would stand out. So anyway, should I leave them red, or have them repainted blue? If I did leave them red, I thought it might be better to have the rear turn signal redded out to blend better, and then have the front side markers clear. Other than that, everything else on my car is either blue, white, or black; with the exception of my KW2's being purple and yellow which you can slightly see through the wheels. ;)

Any feedback is appreciated..

Thanks!
-Anthony

Last edited:

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My opinions only...

1. Like them better off, but if they are already on, it's probably better to keep them on (for the reason you were worried about...the remaining holes).
2. Sounds cool...change 'em! I thought about doing the same thing.
3. An emphatic "no".
4. Sounds cool! Get rid of that red...lol!

Good luck with your changes! :2tu:

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tony,
I like the fog covers on and yes the little holes are noticable if not, I think your calipers look nice red but I do prefer black as I do not like to take away from the wheels but your car color would look awsome as well, you do have awsome wheels that pop to as I have seen them in person I don't think the red is great on a blue car but just my opinion. The clear corners do look nice, here is a picture of them on my 96 I use to have

Erick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I may be alone on this, but I switched my headlights (and fog lights) to HID and love the look. I had a few friends telling me not to because it wouldn't look good (and would look cheap), but I've got nothing but compliments on them and all my friends admitted they were wrong about it.

To me the key is to not go 'ricer' with it. Do a 35W 6000 HID. Not too blue or purple, and not obnoxiously bright like 55W.

I took a picture of them while one side was HID and the other was stock, I'll see if I can find that shot.

And a side note, I'm like 30 minutes from Todd's shop and I can only say great things about the guy and his work. He's even lent a hand on some of my other cars and will ALWAYS be the guy I go to for not just Viper work, but work on any of my cars (He's got knowledge in just about every fast car around). You'll love the detail, care, and quality work you get from him.

Erick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah I'm honestly worried the last phone update deleted my picture, I checked with a friend that I sent it to.

Todd may be able to help though, because my car is actually in his shop right now too so he could take the picture between the two cars.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My opinions only...

1. Like them better off, but if they are already on, it's probably better to keep them on (for the reason you were worried about...the remaining holes).
2. Sounds cool...change 'em! I thought about doing the same thing.
3. An emphatic "no".
4. Sounds cool! Get rid of that red...lol!

Good luck with your changes! :2tu:

Thanks for the feedback! :2tu:

Hey Tony,
I like the fog covers on and yes the little holes are noticable if not, I think your calipers look nice red but I do prefer black as I do not like to take away from the wheels but your car color would look awsome as well, you do have awsome wheels that pop to as I have seen them in person I don't think the red is great on a blue car but just my opinion. The clear corners do look nice, here is a picture of them on my 96 I use to have

Bill, thanks for chiming in. The fog covers never really bothered me, but as of late looking at more and more pictures of GEN II's, I just really like the look with them off, but if it's gonna show those holes, I might not even bother. I'll have to ask Todd. I haven't really seen any blue vipers with blue calipers, so that sorta tells me it might not look good, being the reason no one has done it.. or it makes me want to do it more, because not a lot of people do it, so it would be rare. :smirk: Your 96, was beautiful. Have always wondered about switching to side exhaust. Not sure if I'll ever do it or not, but I do like the clear corners. I plan on doing it now. Lastly, when did you get a bumble bee? What ever happened to the Snake Skin Green SRT?

I may be alone on this, but I switched my headlights (and fog lights) to HID and love the look. I had a few friends telling me not to because it wouldn't look good (and would look cheap), but I've got nothing but compliments on them and all my friends admitted they were wrong about it.

To me the key is to not go 'ricer' with it. Do a 35W 6000 HID. Not too blue or purple, and not obnoxiously bright like 55W.

I took a picture of them while one side was HID and the other was stock, I'll see if I can find that shot.

And a side note, I'm like 30 minutes from Todd's shop and I can only say great things about the guy and his work. He's even lent a hand on some of my other cars and will ALWAYS be the guy I go to for not just Viper work, but work on any of my cars (He's got knowledge in just about every fast car around). You'll love the detail, care, and quality work you get from him.

Yeah I'm honestly worried the last phone update deleted my picture, I checked with a friend that I sent it to.

Todd may be able to help though, because my car is actually in his shop right now too so he could take the picture between the two cars.

Erick, thanks for commenting. That's awesome you know Todd pretty well and take your cars there. He seems like a great guy and I fully trust him with my car, hence why I shipped it out 3,000 miles to him haha. I do have one question though.. I have told Todd that I wanted HIDS, but he said he doesn't have anybody he uses for it... When my car gets to his shop while yours is there. Could you tell Todd you talked to me(anthony costanzo), and tell him where you got your HIDS so he could order them? I'd really like to get some, and have Todd install them for me while my car is there. I was actually also planning on going 5000-6000 anyway. Leaning more towards 6000. As for the 35W and 55W, I'd have to see a difference between the two to make up my mind. Do they have a 45W? I'd prob just consider going that route and just play it down the middle to get the best of both worlds..

Erick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Funny you'd ask that Anthony, I already chatted with him and mentioned that I was going to email him a shop that has great prices, is local to San Diego, and has great quality and a warranty too (always nice to know that someone backs up their product).

I don't believe that a 45W is made for HID, but the difference between 35W and 55W is that 55W is significantly brighter. Like the guy on the road who seems like he has his high beam on, but doesn't. I'm fairly certain most, if not all HID from the factory is 35W.

And...just sent him that email so you should be good.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Erick, thank you very much. I'll probably go with 35W then, if that is pretty much like factory. Todd actually just texted me a little over an hour ago telling me that my car had arrived at his shop. So I'm pretty excited to know it's in good hands, and looking forward to seeing pictures and videos while it's at his shop!

Have a great holiday weekend, and thank you again for sending him an email. :)

Erick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No problem, and happy to help! Hopefully I'll get a chance to swing up there and check out your ride while it's there. What's on the menu for it? Your engine mods currently are almost identical to mine now, but I get the feeling you didn't ship it across the country for an oil change so that's probably changing soon. :)

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there's some confusion with the HID kits. Wattage is the brightness...not the color of the light. That will be a number like 3000, 4300, 6000, etc.

Lots of good info at Daniel Stern lighting about HIDs. They put out more light...but not "better" light. Lots of guys say that no one flashes hi-beams at me, etc., but that still doesn't mean good light. Unless the housing/lense was made for HIDs....you'll get alot of light everywhere...but not focused with the right cut-off, etc. Plus, unless the car came with them from the factory...they're illegal and won't pass state inspection. (IF your state does that.)

Halogen bulbs loose 20% of their effectiveness over time, so putting in new regular replacement bulbs could be a good improvement too.

Just my .02.

Erick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Appreciate the info clarification, though I maybe just wasn't clear enough when I posted; but I do know the difference.

My suggestion of the 35W bulbs over the 55W bulbs has to due with how BRIGHT they are, not the color. Directly from the site:

"Our 55w HID kits are 40% brighter than the standard 35w kits.
The 55W system ballasts are about 1 cm longer than the 35W ballasts.
55w kits tend to wash out some of the color of the HID bulb due to the light output( for example, a 55w 8000k will look similar in color to a 35w 6000k kit)."

So basically you know when you see the normal HID lights, you are probably pissed if you 'see' 55W because it's just TOO bright. So that leads to my personal preference:

A 35W 6000k kit. It's not annoyingly bright, it's a hint of blue but not the 'ricer' purple, and just has the right look for the car.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem, and happy to help! Hopefully I'll get a chance to swing up there and check out your ride while it's there. What's on the menu for it? Your engine mods currently are almost identical to mine now, but I get the feeling you didn't ship it across the country for an oil change so that's probably changing soon. :)

I actually am getting an Oil change done lol, but that's not all ;)

This is the list:

- American Racing Headers, removing Cats and running Straight Pipes and having it all Jet Hot Coated black for 2000 degrees
- 172 Degree Thermostat
- SCT Tuner with 3 different performance programmed tunes
- Speed Tactics Viper Gills
- MGW Gripper Shift Knob
- B&M Short Throw Shifter(If I can find one)

- 1.7 T&D Shaft Mount Rockers and new Pushrods
- Fidanza Aluminum Lightweight Flywheel
- Centerforce Clutch
- 3.55 Ratio Ring and Pinion Gearset
- A&C Performance black custom breather system
- Powder-Coating the Engine black
- Possibly some Intake stuff

- Power Steering Pulley
- Power Steering Bracket
- Wood House Poly Engine & Transmission Mounts
- AB's Quality Wires and Boot Covers
- New battery
- New Spark Plugs, fuel filter, all fluids changed(Oil Change, Coolant Change, etc.,)
- iForged Classic II Series Wheel (3 Piece Wheels:19x11 fronts and 20x13 rears) rechromed
- Possibly new tires, if so either PSS or Nito Invos
- Some exterior cosmetic stuff
- Sill Plates
- HIDS hopefully

I know nothing truly exciting to most people like a turbo or super charger, but all these things with my current mods should definitely improve the car a lot. My goal was to get as close to 500rwhp with as many bolton mods I could afford while keeping the car N/A. So I feel I've pretty much done that, other then getting the heads done with a more aggressive cam. Although, I do have the 708 Cam already in my car, so it should sound awesome! I know some would have chosen to get rid of a lot of the stuff I chose to do the heads and cam instead which would have def got me above 500rwhp, but my car is a street car, not a track car. So I thought these mods would make my car more fun for the street. :)

Last edited:

Erick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I actually am getting an Oil change done lol, but that's not all ;)

This is the list:

- American Racing Headers
- 172 Degree Thermostat
- MGW Gripper Shift Knob
- Short Throw Shifter
- 1.7 T&D Shaft Mount Rockers and new Pushrods
- Fidanza Aluminum Lightweight Flywheel
- Centerforce Clutch
- Wood House Poly Engine
- AB's Quality Wires and Boot Covers
- New Spark Plugs, fuel filter, all fluids changed
- Sill Plates
- HIDS hopefully

I know nothing truly exciting to most people like a turbo or super charger, but all these things with my current mods should definitely improve the car a lot. My goal was to have as many mods as possible while keeping the car N/A. So I feel I've pretty much done that, other then getting the heads done with a more aggressive cam. Although, I do have the 708 Cam already in my car, so it should sound awesome! :)[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Pretty funny actually but my last visit to his shop was almost identical to your current one. I've got the ones that I left in the quote and obviously full exhaust, and have a 2001 so I actually put the 708 cam in to the car. Todd managed to get some really impressive numbers out of it on the dyno too! And I LOVE the sound of the Corsa Exhaust with my AMR headers, I do have Hi-Flow cats but still the pairing of the headers and exhaust has gotten a lot of:

"That's the best Viper I've ever heard comments."

Now how many Vipers those people have heard is in question, but two of the guys that said both own Vipers so that's something.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty funny actually but my last visit to his shop was almost identical to your current one. I've got the ones that I left in the quote and obviously full exhaust, and have a 2001 so I actually put the 708 cam in to the car. Todd managed to get some really impressive numbers out of it on the dyno too! And I LOVE the sound of the Corsa Exhaust with my AMR headers, I do have Hi-Flow cats but still the pairing of the headers and exhaust has gotten a lot of:

"That's the best Viper I've ever heard comments."

Now how many Vipers those people have heard is in question, but two of the guys that said both own Vipers so that's something.

Erick, it all makes sense now haha. I remember you.... I did an advanced search on here awhile ago for Headers, because I was trying to find people talking about the AMR Headers on a GEN II, since it seems not as many people install the American Racing Headers on their GEN II compared to having Belanger, M&M, B&B etc., and before I bought them through Todd, I just wanted to find some videos so I could hear what they sounded like on a GEN II with similar mods that I would have, but I have had no luck. From what I could find, it seemed like only owners of GENIII's and GENIV's for the most part were the ones to buy the American Racing Headers for their Vipers and post videos of it. Till this day, I have still never heard the sound of American Racing Headers on a GEN II. I bought the Metallic Cats to go with the American Racing Headers, and I also have the Corsa Exhaust, but Todd talked me out of putting the Cats on it, and just running straight pipes for a much meaner and louder sounding exhaust. He told me hands down American Racing Headers, Straight Pipes, Corsa Exhaust IS THE BEST sounding full exhaust for the Viper to go along with my new T&D Rockers and stock 708 Cam. I know exhaust sounds are all personal preference and there truly isn't a best sound since not everyone likes the same thing, but I trust Todd completely; so I value his opinion. Besides, I've read a lot of good things about these headers, so I'm looking forward to having them on my car!

My inspection place already told me I could go catless, since there is no smog test here anymore in MA. They just check to see if you have cats or not, and they didn't seem to care. So I decided to take Todd's advice and go catless. However, if I ended up getting pulled over a lot, or fined at all for the car being too loud, I could just add the Cats on later he mentioned anyway, which was what I originally planned on having on my Viper in the first place... The Metallic High Flow Cats that came with my AMR Headers.

Anyway, the reason I said I remembered you was because I found a thread from you where you talked about your mods and tune, and stated you had Todd work on your car and managed to make 494rwhp on the dyno consistently. I was amazed because everything you said about the mods on your car were almost identical to mine! :)

It was this thread: http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/643636-2001-GTS-Mods-and-tune

If you notice, I posted in that thread and at the time didn't even know my car had the 708 cam stock lol. I originally planned on going Belanger too, but it was that thread that Todd saw my post and sent me a PM. So from there, him and I planned out my car. So yea, thanks to you my car is having all this stuff done and my wallet is now empty haha ;)

Oh yea, I noticed when you quoted my list you kept the "Sill Plates" what kind did you get? I'm currently talking with this company in Connecticut to see if they can custom make me some from a design idea I got off the ZR1 Sill Plates.

Last edited:

Erick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is great that you have figured out that those similar modifications are what you'd be happy with, I couldn't be happier with everything that Todd has done with the car. As I often tell everyone, "It's how a Viper should sound."

I actually reviewed that list I quoted again and I didn't mean to keep the Sill Plates. I promise, the rest of them I did do though. I'd be extremely curious to see how yours turn out, and the cost because that's a modification that I really would like to do as well...so please keep me updated on that!

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt, I plan to now. What did you do about your Rear turn signals under the tail lights? Did you change those at all or leave them half clear/half orange?
Sorry Zo, I just got back & seen your question. I haven't really decided on those yet, isn't it a PITB to change them out (seems like I'd seen that somewhere on here) I don't have my car here right now but I should get it back this week & I'll check it out. If its not, I'll most likely change them out too (I don't think they're that expensive).

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Zo, I just got back & seen your question. I haven't really decided on those yet, isn't it a PITB to change them out (seems like I'd seen that somewhere on here) I don't have my car here right now but I should get it back this week & I'll check it out. If its not, I'll most likely change them out too (I don't think they're that expensive).

Matt, did you see them on here? http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...stions.../page2?highlight=blue+brake+calipers

If you scroll down, Blue Batmobile posted two pictures of his car with rear turn signals redded out. I wonder if you can get them completely clear like the GENIII and VI Vipers to match the clear side markers? I'm not sure how that would look...

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is great that you have figured out that those similar modifications are what you'd be happy with, I couldn't be happier with everything that Todd has done with the car. As I often tell everyone, "It's how a Viper should sound."

I actually reviewed that list I quoted again and I didn't mean to keep the Sill Plates. I promise, the rest of them I did do though. I'd be extremely curious to see how yours turn out, and the cost because that's a modification that I really would like to do as well...so please keep me updated on that!

Will do. I'm still waiting to hear back in regards to the modifications I requested. I believe he is forwarding my emails to the company who makes them.