Viper crash at Nurburgring, Arizona plates.

Heysie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday, I went to the famous 13 miles long Nurburgring, to do my first laps on this track. It was raining a little bit. When I arrived at the track, I saw a truck with a damaged Viper on it. :shocked: The car had Arizona plates with the tag "DOGGY" on it. It was a ACR with ABS.
pic
Most damage was at the front fascia and I saw a minor crack on the hood near a louvre.
Bad day to start, so did only 8 (slow) laps.

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always a sorry sight to see...The front end of that red 355 (a few pics before) looks like a costly mistake, as well.... :(

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Its just so easy to have an off track excursion, and twist up your pride and joy. Thats why I want a dedicated track car that I can afford to *** up into a ball. Like maybe a used C5 ZO6 or something, I dunno yet. Sad day for that guy.....

Reaction score
Chuck,

You made me laugh!

In the last week someone at Viper Days or Skip Barber was talking about the safety impact of the electronic "Nanny" gismo called many different things on accident rates. Impact Zero, it appears people become less responsible drivers because they now give more car control to the "Nanny". She can not protect you from stupidity.

Thank you Dodge for leaving the "Nanny" out of the Viper's diet. Let the lightweight Corvette carry the "Nanny" and give their drivers a safety and performance placebo.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't been in the Viper community long enough to know the owner; but, what a great track to wreck one's Viper at! I wish that I had the opportunity to drive my car at a place like that. I've only done one track day, and I've seen someone else get bit by their Viper; but, it sure makes you want to go back for more. :)

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not good, wait till he gets the recovery bill, that will really shock the owner. We went last year and a UK Elise driver crashed his car front and rear taking some of the barrier out - his bill $15K !!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no good, wait till he gets the recovery bill, that will really shock the owner. We went last year and a Elise driver crashed his car front and rear taking some of the barrier barrier out - his $15K !! bill

Thats why I use my Viper for poser purposes and not track purposes. If I wreck driving around town, atleast insurance will cover it. I couldnt afford to come out of pocket if I hit a wall at a racetrack

OP
OP
Heysie

Heysie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no good, wait till he gets the recovery bill, that will really shock the owner. We went last year and a Elise driver crashed his car front and rear taking some of the barrier barrier out - his $15K !! bill

Thats why I use my Viper for poser purposes and not track purposes. If I wreck driving around town, atleast insurance will cover it. I couldnt afford to come out of pocket if I hit a wall at a racetrack

That's the best part of the Nurburgring. It's not a track but a one way direction toll road. So you are insured. (I know some insurance companies have build a clause in to.)

Mister XR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't look that bad actually. The hood looks intact - that's one of the most expensive parts to replace.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Its just so easy to have an off track excursion, and twist up your pride and joy. Thats why I want a dedicated track car that I can afford to *** up into a ball"

Vic is right on the money here.

Before you go out on the track with your street Viper, ask yourself.
"how would I feel if I hit something?"

A dedicated track car on a trailer is so much fun. You can really have a ball in a car that is sort of expendable.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.) I assume track insurance is separate from your regular auto insurance, correct? If so, let's say you are in an accident and total the Viper. Do they notify your regular insurance? Basically, will your rates increase on your regular auto insurance?

2.) What's the cost, and are there any exceptions (where they don't cover)? Deductable?

Thanks in advance.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get insurance for Viper Days track events.

A CC hit the wall at Buttonwillow Sat. Good news, He was not hurt and had track insurance.

where's a good place for track insurance and what the cost, ballpark?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was planning to drive the Nurburgring in June, but it looks like the course is all sold out during the two weeks I'll be there =-( I might try the Salzburgring. Anyone know about this track?

S

SUN RA KAT

where's a good place for track insurance and what the cost, ballpark?

A couple of years ago track insurance was $10,000 for 30 track days per year for a $100,000 car.

OP
OP
Heysie

Heysie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was planning to drive the Nurburgring in June, but it looks like the course is all sold out during the two weeks I'll be there =-( I might try the Salzburgring. Anyone know about this track?

Look at this site for opening times. When it's open, then it's never sold out.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Freies Fahren für Automobile und Motorräder
Die Teilnehmer werden in Gruppen eingeteilt und fahren im 1/2 Stunden-Intervall. (1/2 Stunde Motorräder; 1/2 Stunde Autos)
(max. 36 Motorräder; max. 30 Autos)
Unkostenbeitrag 2006: EURO 100,- pro Tag
Anmeldung ist nicht möglich! Die Teilnehmer werden nach Eintreffen am Ring eingeteilt.
Sämtliche Fahrzeuge müssen zum Straßenverkehr zugelassen sein!
Die Ringordnung ist einzuhalten.
Max. erlaubtes Betriebsgeräusch: 98 Dezibel! (es werden laufend Lärmkontrollen beim und vor dem Befahren der Rennstrecke durchgeführt)

Öffnungszeiten: 9-12 und 14-17 Uhr

I can't drive on the Nurburgring in a rental car, so I was going to take the BMW M intensive driver training. It's sold out. Looks like the Salzburg track is closer and very affordable!

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can drive the rental car lots of people do that,
just dont loose it on track :) I spoke to a canadian who did 5 laps in his rental disiel merc, he just turned up on the day, he also got a cancellation on the Ring taxi with a solo ride in the M5 with Sabine.

its 15 euros per lap at the gate on a open day, should be quieter mid-week rather than a summer weekend which are usually busy

there is also the Ring Viper to think about, you really need to book for the taxi rides though

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Salzburgring is a small race track - have been there a couple of years. Some high speed sections, some tight turns.
approx 3 miles, 12 turns

LOL Dang you spoiled Europeans. 3 miles is not considered a "small" track, not in the states anyway. :(

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything is conspiring against me for the Nurburgring.

IF I wrecked the rental car, would they let me out of the country??
I'm on a business trip this time, so the weekend is my only choice.
I have 'connections' in Deutschland but they all say the same thing, "sorry, you can't borrow MY car!"
Dang. My internal company (Interne Fahrausbildung) driver training license NEEDS the C3 Nurburgring NOS2 stamp!