Viper Cup update

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard this weekend that there have been 24 of 25 sales (first run) of the Viper ACR-X, the motors are done and the cars will be coming off the assembly line prior to 2010 normal production starting very soon.

As for the race series, I heard that the entry fees will be $2700 per race. That is not 'official' but the source is good. :eater:

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard this weekend that there have been 24 of 25 sales (first run) of the Viper ACR-X, the motors are done and the cars will be coming off the assembly line prior to 2010 normal production starting very soon.

As for the race series, I heard that the entry fees will be $2700 per race. That is not 'official' but the source is good. :eater:

Is it me or does that seem a little steep for an entry fee?

Dave Scott

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not steep when you consider the amount of prize money being awarded for each race, IMHO.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not steep when you consider the amount of prize money being awarded for each race, IMHO.

Usually prize money is awarded from "sponsors", not from entry fees-otherwise it would seem like par mutual gambling-no?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the cost of the car, transportation costs, entry fees, etc, the prize money IF you do well is a drop in the bucket. But it will be a great series for the well to do.

Dave Scott

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the cost of the car, transportation costs, entry fees, etc, the prize money IF you do well is a drop in the bucket. But it will be a great series for the well to do.

This is the way it is in ANY pro series. However, Viper Cup pays real $ pretty far down the finishing order.....very generous! :headbang::2tu::drive:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Very comparable , but as others have mentioned , the payout for drivers is much greater than quite a few other series, and surprising, in my opinion, for a new venue!

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, how many 'pro' teams do you expect to be on the grid, as opposed to say Kathy Stout? Or do you consider Kathy a 'pro?' Is KW going to be in the series in a Woodhouse entry? What other 'teams' are rumored to be in the hunt, or can you say?

Dave Scott

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no idea whatsoever who will be participating starting in July at VIR. I think it would be naive not to expect true pros in the series, but at this point we'll have to wait & see who makes up the grids. Not trying to be coy, I simply don't know, and I am not fond of rumors. :D

I am not sure what you may be implying regarding Ms. Stout, nor why you would mention her by name. I personally have the highest regard for her sportsmanship, competitive spirit, and integrity, regardless of what she is driving.

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no idea whatsoever who will be participating starting in July at VIR. I think it would be naive not to expect true pros in the series, but at this point we'll have to wait & see who makes up the grids. Not trying to be coy, I simply don't know, and I am not fond of rumors. :D

I am not sure what you may be implying regarding Ms. Stout, nor why you would mention her by name. I personally have the highest regard for her sportsmanship, competitive spirit, and integrity, regardless of what she is driving.

Kathy drives her own Neon in VRL, and is just moving over to a Viper which she also owns and will campaign (as opposed to a friend of mine who is a 'pro' driver that will be in China one week, Australia the next, racing for hire). That's all I meant, not a reflection of her professionalism. It is also well known that Jim and Kathy bought the first ACR-X, and I consider them friends. They are the only ones that I know about in the series, which is the only reason they came to mind. In spite of their obvious budget, I would consider them a 'sportsmen' team, not pros. (I know Jim feels the same, we have talked about it over beers.) My expectation is that it will be a bunch of sportsmen (and women) driving their own cars like the VRL, not pros like World Challenge, ALMS etc . I could be wrong. I was wondering what you have heard in NARRA circles, that's all.

It seems funny to me that its such an anonymous bunch. Personally, I would love to see someone campaign a car and put Tommy or Kuno behind the wheel. Better yet, both! If someone has a "marquee" driver who will be in the series, I would think that there would be some publicity about it. Then again, maybe we will get really lucky and have someone like McDreamy join the fun!

Last edited:

Dave Scott

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. As I said, I am not a big fan of rumors, so hopefully the series' participants will build their own buzz! I suspect it will be a mix of what you term "sportsmen" and pros....just like World Challenge and Grand Am. :D

3SRTsandGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. I know about 7 of the ACRX owners, and if the cost is $2700 per weekend, then I'll bet these drivers will have a lot of fun driving their cars elsewhere.
2. Personally, I believe the series should be Driver Owned and Driver Raced. Otherwise, the series is not sustainable, and sustainability is exactly what is needed. If the series is not careful, 2010 will be the only year. We don't need a series like World Challenge, which is barely hanging on.
3. What makes NARRA/Viper Days fun, is the drivers respect each other and for the most part body contact is minimal. When we drive with PBOC, indeed, car counts are higher, but the carnage increases because the "friendly" environment is gone. Not too many can afford to replace body panels, splitters, etc. on a regular basis.

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assumed it was $2700 per EVENT, and there are two events per weekend! 10 events in 5 weekends. To be honest, I didn't clarify when I was told this info. You know what happens when you make assumptions!

I also thought that you had to commit to the series to get a car. I know the buy/sell is actually an 'application' to purchase.

3SRTsandGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are no commitments required. I know one driver who plans to tear up the tracks in another series, and chose the ACRX because of its cost and performance.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know me....I buy these Vipers & just let them sit collecting dust. I'd like to find a piggyback ECU so i can drop this new motor in my CC.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62