viper cut off while driving tonight.

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I took the Viper out tonight. It had been a while since I had taken it out and I wanted to cruise. It was night so I put the lights on and drove off. It seemed fine until after about 2 miles I put the clutch in and took it out of gear, at this time I saw the RPMs go to zero and it cut off. I came to a stop and it started back up. When I drove it again it almost died but I was able to step on the gas and it would wake back up. Is this a weak battery?

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I kinda hope it is the battery. When I saw your header message "viper cut off while driving tonight" I thought you were going to tell us about some **** swerving their car in front of you. My blood was starting to boil even before clicking on the message.

Bob

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you have the alarm system active during this time? That is a battery drain over time. Also, you might want to check the date on the battery. If you do this infrequent driving bit on a regular basis - car sits for long periods quite a bit - you might not get normal life out of the battery. The average car battery lasts longer under frequent use, mainly the charging aspect of that use.

How old is the fuel in your tank?

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to check your charging rate (Voltage and Amps), If your battery is low the alternator should still keep enough charge in the system to keep it running, Also if it fired up again,the battery is holding some charge. If you haven't drove it for some time, Charge the battery and then perform a load test on the battery.

OP
OP

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
^ I was also thinking that it may be the alternator. I have it on a charger right now. How do I test to see if the alternator is giving enough charge?

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
sounds like the same problem i have with mine. I replaced the battery and it did not change. THe guage on the dash shows that the alternator is workign just fine.

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't rule out the fuel pump. Mine behaved the same way, it would die, then start right up again. It was a connection that would intermittently go bad in the pump.

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will need a mutimeter or Amps Volts Resistance Meter to properly check out your alternator. If you do not have access to these, you might want to find a electrical shop to test it for you, or any dealer

mstang1988

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will need a mutimeter or Amps Volts Resistance Meter to properly check out your alternator. If you do not have access to these, you might want to find a electrical shop to test it for you, or any dealer

If you don't have the tools take the battery down to autozone and they will charge it for free and put a load test on it. They will even come out and test your alternator/starter for free too if you want to take them out or can manage to drive it down there.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the +terminal in the engine bay. is it tight screwed (or loose)?

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ I was also thinking that it may be the alternator. I have it on a charger right now. How do I test to see if the alternator is giving enough charge?
It could be any of alternator, battery or fuel or even a bad sensor.

Check the voltage on your battery with the engine off. It should be 12.5V or better. If you don't know how to use a voltmeter, try this little Equus Voltmeter that plugs into the cigarette lighter. If find it very convenient in my GTS which constantly demands battery charging.

Check the voltage on your dash with the engine running. It should be near 14V. If it is 13.5 or lower it's most likely the alternator/belt. Check out the belt to see if it's worn.

Fuel, well no easy way to tell other than if the problem persists at the next fill and battery/alternator were ruled out.

Sensors will eventually throw a code but sometimes they are intermittent and their failures are not long enough during the OBDII error measurement cycle.

Let us know what you find.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just drive the car after u trickle the batt- take it for a nice hyway drive for about 30 min- the idle air motor may be sticky from sitting.. if it was fine when u put it away the last time-dont over-react. its just from sitting more than likely

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do I check the idle air motor? Is this something that I can clean?

The IAC can easily be removed for cleaning. One wire connector and 2 screws. You might want to have the gasket available although when I did mine the gasket was reusable.

Get some throttle body cleaner from the auto parts. Do not use carb or brake cleaner because they can dissolve rubber and plastic parts. When it is all spiffy inside give it a quick hosing inside with WD40 and shake out the excess.

Re-install and drive around and let your car relearn idle. Then enjoy a frosty beverage. :beer:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960