VIPER DAYS......Brake Pads???

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just ordered the Stop Tech big brake pkg from JonB. I am wondering what brake pads everyone is using. The car is an 02 with ABS if that makes a difference?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Pagid race pads and love 'em. Don't go with a "intermediate" track/street pad. They don't last on the track and will end up costing you a chunk of time and money replacing them every track day. Race pads stop like a **** and will last the whole weekend and only cost $20 more.

I'm going to give Steve Pasztor at GreatBrakes.com a call 972-743-9443 and try out the EBC Blue and compare them to the Pagids.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Stoptech Big brake kit too and use Brakeman pads and the fluid. They are great and were recommended by Bill Pemberton.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am not sure where you got your info,but the Pagids for the track are very pricey, and are definitely not $20.Give me a call on Brakeman's on Monday,
that is what most folks are using on the track.

Did you get the full system, or just the fronts? I am assuming you went with the 14" set-up, too?

You will really enjoy the Stoptechs, and the company offers great service to it's customers and retailers.

1-800-880-1893

OP
OP
H

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill, my mistake. I read Chuck's comment wrong. He said "$20 more" I thought he said $20. I got the under $5000 package. I am trying to get it together so I can come out to Mid America in May. Hope to see you there.

You have some mail also.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Big Brake package should be properly balanced, so you will probably run the same brake compounds front and rear. Brake Man makes a good pad, and not too expensive, but they wear very rapidly and don't have the bite that I like. Performance Friction (PFC) is a US manufacturer and their products are absolutely first rate. Lots of folks are using the 01 compound now, but they make 80, 83, 90, 93, 99, 01 and 03 compounds for specific friction requirements and temperature ranges.

The temperatures that your rotors get to have the greatest influence on what pad you run. Get some temperature sensitive paint on the rotors before you hit the track to find out what you should be using.

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Dean on the choice of PFC. No offense to the various dealers on this board, but I have tried Hawk Blue (eats rotors big time),Porterfield R4 (not as much bite and heat handling as Pagid or PFC), Pagid (good race pad, but there's one I like better) and PFC 01 up front with Brakeman 3 in the rear. My system is Alcon 4 piston fronts and the crappy stock rear. Until I can afford to upgrade to StopTech, Dilusi or other, I swear by PFC. Had been driving 90 compound all around and that was not optimum. I definitely like the 01 up front better.

Talk to the PFC folk as I would think those of us with stock or near stock brakes could effect a more rearward bias by choosing a rear pad that bites earlier/at a lower temp than the fronts. Dean, have you looked into this ?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless we could get enough people together to run 50 sets, they really don't want to talk about doing rears in any compound besides 90.

As far as low temp bite goes, the stock rears aren't that bad. You have to be really careful about too much bite at the rear with cold pads. You don't want to be swapping ends under braking. For a track-only setup, you have considerably more leeway in friction materials because you are consistently into the proper operating temperature range.

OP
OP
H

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still want to be able to drive the beast around town once in a while (FE02' to new to become race trailer queen just yet) would this make a difference in brake pad suggestion?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Running street pads at the track compromises performance and they can get overheated and fade. Running track pads on the street can lead to glazed pads/rotors and compromises safety on cold stops because they aren't running in the correct temperature range.

Disc brake pads are a piece of cake to change out. Just do it!

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still want to be able to drive the beast around town once in a while (FE02' to new to become race trailer queen just yet) would this make a difference in brake pad suggestion?

I used the Brakeman 3 pads on my Stoptech system and love em', they are also quite good on the street as they do not need to heat up like most performance pads to be effective, I tried EBC Reds once and blew through a stop sign because they were cold. They are great on the track and get me at least 4 hard track days sometimes 5.

IMPORTANT, make sure you bed them in aggressively before you hit the track and make sure you do a FULL cool down lap at the end of each session or they'll warp!

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used EBC pads on the track for two years with excellent results and numerous podium finishes. The combinations I use are:
For track only - Blue in front, red in rear
combination street & track - Yellow in front, green in rear

I run different pads front & rear due to the heat differential between front & rear and to take advantage of a higher coefficient of friction pad in the rear to improve brake bias. I never run reds or greens on the front at the track. They just can't take the heat put out by the Viper front brake calipers. I never run the blues on the street since they barely stop until you get some heat in them.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Brakeman's wear very well with the StopTech system. We all have our preferences,but the thicker width for the StopTech system, along with the
fact that the Brakeman is a very good street pad, is the reason I still suggest you go in that direction. The pad is super progessive and I don't think you
will find this with the PFCs - plus they really aren't good for occasional street use. Get Henry Cone's brake duct kit and you will increase the life of any
type of pad ( available from PartsRack ). The money spent will come back four-fold in pad savings.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used EBC pads on the track for two years with excellent results and numerous podium finishes. The combinations I use are:
For track only - Blue in front, red in rear
combination street & track - Yellow in front, green in rear

Tom you mispoke. Shouldn't that have been numerous tire wall finishes?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang