Viper Days Driving School & the Viper Racing League at Sebring!!

CT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Viper Owners-

Come on out to Sebring International and be one of the Vipers driving on the 12 Hour course! Fun will be had by all!!

Call Courtney for more details: 847-594-8477

2005 VIPER RACING LEAGUE
DETAILS FOR…….. SEBRING April 29th, 30th & May 1st , 2005

Ø TRACK INFORMATION : www.sebringraceway.com Track address: 113 Midway Drive Sebring, Florida 33870 863-6551442 We will be running the track Clockwise!

Ø FRIDAY TEST & TUNE: A test and tune day is available! Friday will be open for “advanced drivers” for a test and tune day. No rookies are allowed. 9am-5pm we will be running 2 run groups all day!! $350 full day no lunch and $250 for half day no lunch 1-5pm.

Ø COST: Please not there is an up charge for being such a premier track! Prices below are reflective of that.
o Season Package: $4000 which includes 5 full package events and 5 half day Fridays. Paid by April 1st , 2005
o Full Package: $780 Full package includes a Friday pm reception party, an embroidered Viper Racing League polo shirt and a goodie bag, 2 practice sessions totaling 1 hour of track time, one 30 minute qualifying and a 30 minute race on Saturday. Sunday 2 practice sessions totaling 1 hour of track time, and a 1-hour race, Saturday pm sit down dinner, FREE water for the entire weekend, and a transponder.
o A la Carte Package: $400 1 day, $650 2 days, includes track time only. Additional add ons: Embroidered Viper Racing League polo shirt $45, $25 Fri pm reception, $45 Saturday pm dinner, $25 transponder.
o

Ø PAYMENT: Viper Days accepts Visa and Master Card AND American Express. Make checks payable to: Viper Days, Inc. Payment for each event is paid in full prior to the event!! Late Entry- 7 days before event will result in a $100 late fee, NO EXCEPTIONS!!

Ø HOTEL INFO: Be sure to call the Inn on the Lakes to make your room reservation and ask for the Viper Days room block. Please make the reservations early for I am sure that the hotel will be sold out! The hotel is only 9.4 miles away from the track.

Inn on the Lakes 863-471-9400
3100 Golfview Rd.
Sebring, FL 33875
74 rooms reserved! Cut off date April 7th
$72/night for King or 2 Queen beds

Ø TRACK SIDE SERVICE Archer Racing Accessories is the Exclusive trackside service company. Archer Racing can do all your track needs including suspension, brakes, alignments, engine modifications and exhaust. If there is something specific you would like, Call John and make an appointment. 218-727-4806

Ø TIRES Bobby Archer Enterprises is the Exclusive provider of trackside safety needs, tire mounting and balancing, and sales. Those needing Michelin or Hoosier tires please call ahead and order them so they can bring them to the track. Call Bobby @ 817-877-1772 LAST DATE TO ORDER TIRES IS April 19th Call Troy or Bobby 817-877-1772

TRAILER AND RIG PARKING Thursday drop-off ONLY is allowed!! Please call Anna 863-655-1442 ext 203 so they can open the gate for you.

Ø CAMPERS/MOTORCOACHES ARE ALLOWED!NO Electricity or Water hook-ups .Self-contained

Ø FUEL The track is selling 93 $3/gal, 100 Premium Unleaded $6/gal

Ø MED+STATS 2005 IS MANDATORY! There is a NEW form requiring additional information. Please bring your Med+Stats lanyard or fill out Med+Stats confidential information and return with payment ASAP. Renewal will be only $ 15.00.

Ø FRIDAY NIGHT ARRIVAL: 6PM until 9PM at the Inn on the Lakes . Check in and register at the reception with hors d’oeuvres. Tech. inspection will occur all day Friday at the track or Saturday morning. Please join us for hors d’oeuvres, drinks and some Viper Tales. A Viper tech inspection tip: empty your glove box and trunk at the hotel instead of the track.

Ø GUEST PACKAGE: For those who do not wish to put their car on the track and/or guests, we offer a food package of the reception and a banquet for $75.00 per person. Children will be given a discount, must call Courtney for details!! Dinner only is $45

Ø GATE HOURS: Friday 6am-8pm; Sat 6am-10pm; Sun 6am-8pm

TRACK INFO

SATURDAY: The track will go hot at 8:30. You do NOT need to be at the mornings drivers meeting. Red’s first session is 9:30am Drive arounds will be from 7-7:15am , Sat night banquet at the track will start at 6:30 cash bar and 7pm dinner at in the media center over looking the track.

SUNDAY: The track will go hot at 8:30 with the Red Racers

NEW RULES FOR THE 2005 VRL RACING SEASON!

Please see the web site for rules changes!! http://www.viperdays.com/vrl_rules.html these rule changes will be sent to you with all of the 2005 forms!!

TIRES FOR THE 2004 VRL RACING SEASON

All cars shall run the spec tire of the series – Hoosier 18” size for the Series. Available in 305-30-R18 and/or 335-30-R18 only.

ALL Hoosier tires will be branded and will be purchased from Bobby Archer Motorsports.
Wheels shall be 18" in diameter, as approved by VRL.

Visual inspection required. Forgeline will be the official wheel and use will get one bonus point per event.

www.sebringraceway.com to get directions, hot lap around the track, track map, etc…

www.weather.com and type in the zip code of 33870 to get the area weather

www.mapquest.com to get directions to and from your house to the track, hotel etc..

LTHL-GRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 practice sessions totaling 1 hour of track time, one 30 minute qualifying and a 30 minute race on Saturday. Sunday 2 practice sessions totaling 1 hour of track time, and a 1-hour race, Saturday pm sit down dinner, FREE water for the entire weekend, and a transponder.
o A la Carte Package: $400 1 day, $650 2 days, includes track time only.

Some of us in the Florida track group are considering this event but have a couple of questions:

1. The cost per hour of track time seems high. We routinely run at Sebring for $250 per day with virtually unlimited track time. There is usually a discount if you run both days so call it $400-$450 for 2 days unlimited vs $650 for 4 hours. Why is this?

2. Why is everyone staying 10 miles away at Inn on The Lakes instead of trackside at Chateu Elan?

Skip at Viper Days

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will try to answer your questions about Viper Days at Sebring.
1. Cost – The Viper Days event is not just track time it is much more.
• The purpose of Viper Days is to assist Viper owners to learn how to be safer on the road and help protect their life and that of their passengers. Far too many lives have been lost and Vipers damaged or destroyed, we are here to do our part to see this improve.
• This is a not only a driving school but a great way to get together with other owners and Viper related vendors.
• A driving school to teach rookies all about their Vipers and how to drive them safely. Dr. Phil Goglia is in classroom to discuss how the driver functions in this atmosphere and their nutritional needs.
• Advanced classrooms for intermediate and advanced drivers. Learn how to find that second you have been looking for.
• In Car instruction for all rookies and advanced instructions available for those that want in car instruction.
• A Friday reception/ registration party where you get to meet all the other drivers and swap stories. We also hold a Q&A Forum for all drivers hosted by the Viper related vendors and sponsors. Viper Techs are present and no question is too tricky to answer.
• You will receive your registration goodie bag with Viper information and a commemorative polo shirt and information about Viper related products.
• A Saturday night banquet held at the track with a door prize drawing and charity auction of Viper related items.
• The Michelin Challenge Series is a timed solo event for drivers to compete in one of seven classes and trophies are given three deep.
• Trackside assistance is something that is not available at most events. At Viper Days we are fortunate to have Archer Racing Accessories and Bobby Archer Motorsports available to keep you on the track. At Viper Days if something breaks or needs repair or you need to replace a flat spotted tire it can be done!
• Watching the Viper Racing League and Neon Racing League race is also a lot of fun but also educational. Remember- They run the same engine, differential and transmission as a production Viper. The racing quality is top notch!
• The Viper Days staff of eight travels to every event to make your event memorial.
Actual costs – Event $700.00 minus $50.00 for being a VCA member minus $100.00 for your first event of season minus $100.00 from the Florida VCA clubs =
NET COST $450.00 The best deal going!!

2. Why not Chateu Elan?
The selection of a host hotel is based on proximity, number of rooms, availability, pricing and facility. In the case at Sebring the Chateu Elan did not have adequate available rooms and we were required to look at the next best facility that meets our requirements. There are a few rooms available at the Chateu… so have at it.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting some questions about Viper Days.

As I was "watching" the Sebring World Challenge race, I was thinking about how proud the Viper Days folks should be - as they are quite responsible for turing out some excellent drivers - drivers that are holding their own against "real professionals" and factory teams.

Mike McCann, VRL alumnus and all around good guy, raced several seasons at Viper Days - honing his skills in an environment that encourages participants to help one another and believes that helping someone else go faster only serves to improve the competition for everyone. All this in a fun, safe and no contact environment. 2004 brought Rookie of the Year honors to Mike in SCCA Speed World Challenge.

And maybe even a better example is Sonny Whelen. Sonny's first ViperDays was Motorsport Ranch in 2001(?) and he spent at least one full season in the Michelin Challenge Series - LEARNING how to go fast in a Viper. Measuring his progress against the VRL guys at the time (folks like Mike) and finally moving to the VRL where he was the GT1 Champion last year. And, as Chuck said, even though Sonny's driving Tupperware now, we still can enjoy his recent success as the highest finishing rookie at Sebring. (More intersting, IMO, is that I think he put down the second fastest lap of the race.....) My money is on Sonny for this years Rookie of the Year.

So, where else can you get this? Certainly not trading pointers with the front drive Hondas and Acuras at open track days. Certainly not at SCCA racing where track time is measured in minutes for the course of the weekend.

ViperDays is the ONLY Viper specific venue that TEACHES the beginner through the wheel to wheel racer. ViperDays is the only venue with a points system and championship series for Solo II type driving (not that any of us is competitive). ViperDays is the only series that helps any driver that wants to advance to run the wheel to wheel series. ViperDays is the only challenge and race venue that travels with their own car and driver SUPPORT vendors. Where else can you go and get your car set up by the fabulous Russell from Archer Racing? You get trackside alignments from recognized EXPERTS at open track events? How about tires / wheels / safety equipment? - Bobby Archer brings everything you need and will work tirelessley (pun intended) to make sure you don't miss any track time. And, who could forget the best damn team of event organizers in the WORLD. Between Courtney, Tracy, Penny, Tom, Kevin and Skip, you have eerything you need to have fun and be successful.

So yeah, you can run less expensive events, and some may even be less expensive on a per track minute basis - BUT - it's been my experience, and most everyone elses, that the track time you get at Viper Days is focused on improving you as a driver. You are out there with like vehicles so the closing speeds are safe and passing is reasonable (not passing 14 Miatas a lap - unless you are into that, of course...) and you have other drivers, in similiarly prepared cars (i.e. the points matrix) with which to compare your times, lines, experiences. And timing - none of this "everyone run their own HotLap timer" crap - where you never know of the times are real or it's working right, or if your buddy is telling you the truth... they have real timing and Penny gets you your times faster than you can put in a lap at Sebring. And depending on how you do - there are trophies and bragging rights.

Ask the current crop of Speed GT guys where their practice and training money was best spent.

And THAT'S why Viper Days isn't your regular open track day event.

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LTHL-GRY, let me add my perspective too. I had been driving SCCA autocross since 1990. I have been attending Viper Days since 2002. While you may get to burn more fuel and use up more supplies in other events, they do not come close to ViperDays in knowledge gained. The instructors and classroom session provide invaluable teaching on driving skills. Everyone is approachable, and the race team mechanics as well as Archers techs are willing to teach. I have learned more about preparing and maintaining my car from Russ and Tom than I can ever sum up. In general the best example I can give is the Summer of 2002. I took my GTS to Mid-Ohio in the Spring and ran with the NASA. I did ok, the "instructor" I had showed me a line and I drove it. A guy was there with a 200? 911 turbo and I could do well to keep up. The next month I was at Mid-Ohio with ViperDays. The line I was taught was significantly different and I felt I became quicker and smoother. I went back to Mid-Ohio in the fall with the NASA and lapped the guy in the 911 during each of four different 30 minute sessions. I also saw guys break their cars and have no recourse but to go home home due to no trackside support. Janni may jump my butt for saying this, but you can get as much experience driving fast on country roads as you can get on open track days. Viper Days is a school where you learn to prepare, maintain and handle our cars in a high speed environment. It is also a great group of enthusiasts to get together with. I feel the cost is well justified.

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of us in the Florida track group are considering this event but have a couple of questions:

1. The cost per hour of track time seems high. We routinely run at Sebring for $250 per day with virtually unlimited track time. There is usually a discount if you run both days so call it $400-$450 for 2 days unlimited vs $650 for 4 hours. Why is this?

2. Why is everyone staying 10 miles away at Inn on The Lakes instead of trackside at Chateu Elan?

[/QUOTE]

I always find it amazing that someone who spends 70-80 k on a car is pinching pennies about track time. Don't get me wrong we all want the best deal out there. I myself asked the same questions. My first ever time on the track was at Viper Days. Then on to the local clubs and tracks. It was not the same. So what I passed 23 Miata 's a day. I would rather pass a equally prepared Viper. One thing that VD does is grid each session by time. So if you are the fastest you will go out first--I have never seen another club do that. If your in the middle you might learn something that the guy in front of you is doing better than you thus you might pass him.
You can always go to Bobby Archer and ask how to do a particular corner or a line through another corner.Or ask anyone who is there or the VRL racers--They all help.

Unfortunately our Northern and Central Cali Viper Clubs are into the wine and cheese cruises--Yeah they are good for one outing. Heaven forbid if you actually drive the car the way it was meant to be driven. I can't get into those boring adventures. Its really too bad more don't come to the track. I have seen too many totaled Vipers due to the drivers inability to drive the car. I know its and ego buster--but it is true

You have to decide if you want to put your skills up against an equally prepared car or a Miata.

As far as the hotel--Probably the banquet facilities.

Joe B

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cannot resist the opportunity to ring in here as well... Having run Sebring in January with the PBOC folks (who do a great job BTW), I few differences jumped out at me. First, there's little to no "help" to be found if your car needs work (major or just set-up) or the driver needs work, whereas at Viper Days both can be addressed DURING the event by John Archer and/or Bobby Archer. Second, passing 275hp cars on the back straight gets boring after the first session, but passing an equally prepared car that you've hounded for 3 laps - now that's fun! Third, timing for everyone is included and gridding (after the first session) according to time makes sure ALL of your track time is good, instead of the first 5 laps being stuck behind slower cars. Finally, it's a great big family that runs safely together during the day, shares knowledge, tools, parts, etc., and has a great time at night. Viper Days has spawned many good race drivers and taught safe performance driving to countless others. The experience of Viper Days events is absolutely worth the cost.

Just my 2 cents...
Rich

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been to several of the Viper Days as a photographer but haven't taken my Viper yet. I have learned alot just by talking to the people in the garage. The instructors answer any questions you have and the racers do the same. It's not a typical race garage where everyone keeps secrets, people share stuff from driving tips to mechanical tips. Even if you don't bring your Viper I would recommend attending to at least check it out.
Tim

LTHL-GRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will try to answer your questions about Viper Days at Sebring.
1. Cost – The Viper Days event is not just track time it is much more.
• The purpose of Viper Days is to assist Viper owners to learn how to be safer on the road and help protect their life and that of their passengers. Far too many lives have been lost and Vipers damaged or destroyed, we are here to do our part to see this improve.
• This is a not only a driving school but a great way to get together with other owners and Viper related vendors.
• A driving school to teach rookies all about their Vipers and how to drive them safely. Dr. Phil Goglia is in classroom to discuss how the driver functions in this atmosphere and their nutritional needs.
• Advanced classrooms for intermediate and advanced drivers. Learn how to find that second you have been looking for.
• In Car instruction for all rookies and advanced instructions available for those that want in car instruction.
• A Friday reception/ registration party where you get to meet all the other drivers and swap stories. We also hold a Q&A Forum for all drivers hosted by the Viper related vendors and sponsors. Viper Techs are present and no question is too tricky to answer.
• You will receive your registration goodie bag with Viper information and a commemorative polo shirt and information about Viper related products.
• A Saturday night banquet held at the track with a door prize drawing and charity auction of Viper related items.
• The Michelin Challenge Series is a timed solo event for drivers to compete in one of seven classes and trophies are given three deep.
• Trackside assistance is something that is not available at most events. At Viper Days we are fortunate to have Archer Racing Accessories and Bobby Archer Motorsports available to keep you on the track. At Viper Days if something breaks or needs repair or you need to replace a flat spotted tire it can be done!
• Watching the Viper Racing League and Neon Racing League race is also a lot of fun but also educational. Remember- They run the same engine, differential and transmission as a production Viper. The racing quality is top notch!
• The Viper Days staff of eight travels to every event to make your event memorial.
Actual costs – Event $700.00 minus $50.00 for being a VCA member minus $100.00 for your first event of season minus $100.00 from the Florida VCA clubs =
NET COST $450.00 The best deal going!!

2. Why not Chateu Elan?
The selection of a host hotel is based on proximity, number of rooms, availability, pricing and facility. In the case at Sebring the Chateu Elan did not have adequate available rooms and we were required to look at the next best facility that meets our requirements. There are a few rooms available at the Chateu… so have at it.

As this would be our first experience with/impression of Viperdays we have questions and just want honest answers without putting you on the defensive.

As a salesman myself I would say that your advertisement for this event left out some valuable information. Specifically, it references the amount of track time for the money and that is all, unless you want to pay more. There was no mention of in-car or classroom instruction. The other things you mention like receptions, goody bags, and track-side assistance are at an additional cost above and beyond the price for the track time, $45 for a golf shirt ain't no gimme. Also, you quote $700, the post I replyed to quoted $780 for all the bells and whistles. I also thought the discount was $150 for first timers. Many of us are not VCA members due to the corruption and nepotism that is rampant in our region, so no VCA discounts for us.

The Michelin series is only for Michelin tires which none of us use so are we out of that one?

How are numbers assigned? What kind of tech-in can we expect? Are pits assigned or FCFS? What are the saftey equipment requirements?

Is Viperdays a for profit business?

The post mentions 2 "races" is that for everyone? Is it wheel to wheel or times against times?

Just tell it like it is, you don't get much track time but you do get other *valuable* things if you want to pay extra for them...

For the VD fan club, Janni as always 8~),TacDoc, JoeB, Rich W, & Pictureman, Thanks for your replys/input they will better help us decide wether nor not to attend, however:

As far as being "cheap", watching expenses is any good business mans priority, and a good reason why many of us can even afford a Viper in the first place. For me the raceing expense is negligable compared to the income I lose by being away from my business. A cost benefit analysis must be done for all expenses that result in a loss of income.

At our track events we don't have much time at all to worry over Miatas... Mostly we're tryin' to run with the Ferraris and other fully race-preped cars like Porsches, Busch series cars, open wheels, turbo 'vettes and even a class winner and some top finishers at LeMans... Worthy competition you would all have to agree, and more representative of a true raceing environment. In fact we will be at Sebring the very next weekend (May 7) why don't some of you stay over and see for yourself. I have 2 guest suites available for free with plenty of parking...

Hell, I might come just to meet you guys (and gals) and laugh at Scary Crashinski.

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JT:

Who's on the defensive?????

I think you bring up some excellent points about information that is lacking from the folks at Viper Days. Truth be told, they could use this sort of feedback relative to communication and as to why some Viper owners haven't come to their events.

Hope to see you there.

Rich

silverz06vette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have about 25 trackdays and by far the 2 viperday w/e's that I have done at VIR are the best run period. Plenty of time on the track and good classroom instruction.

Those guys from Archer are great, they even tried to help out one of those other cars (z06) that had some problems.

Look fwd to seeing all of our viper friends again at Sebring.

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The above testimonials speak volumes because they come unsolicited from people who routinely travel hundreds of miles to attend Viperdays events. They are obviously convinced (as I am) of the incredible value that Viperdays provides. This isn't your father's track day.

Here is an alphabetical list of Viperdays drivers who have competed in the SCCA PRO Racing Speed World Challenge GT Series to date:

1. Tommy Archer
2. Bobby Archer
3. Al Becera
4. Kevin Chambers
5. Lenny Diller
6. Warren Diller
7. Robert Dopp
8. Adel Elsayed
9. Rob Foster
10. Mike Hartley
11. Kenny Hawkins
12. Rich Marziale
13. Mike McCann
14. Jim McCann
15. Paul Mumford
16. Frank Parise
17. Brett Pearson
18. Keith Videtto
19. Sonny Whelen
20. Stan Wilson
21. Bob Woodhouse

John Dearing is also registered and expected to compete during the 2005 season.

The rest of the competition in the series is a virtual who's who in road racing such as Max Papas, Andy Pilgrim, Boris Said, Johnny O'Connell, etc., and Viperdays prepared such drivers as Paul Mumford (who won the second Pro race he entered) and MiKe McCann (Rookie of the Year in 2004). Both Tommy and Bobby Archer are Speed GT National Champions.

Viperdays is about lots of quality track time, great instruction, and track support that keeps you running all weekend. The goodies and banquets are fun, but the real deal is the results you get from participating.

Strong local participation would do a lot to help Viperdays make ends meet, but it always seems that the bulk of the participants come from everywhere else in the country. If they're that convinced, wouldn't it make sense to give it a try?

LTHL-GRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JT:

Who's on the defensive?????

I hope no one, certainly not me LOL...

I think you bring up some excellent points about information that is lacking from the folks at Viper Days. Truth be told, they could use this sort of feedback relative to communication and as to why some Viper owners haven't come to their events.

Hope to see you there.

Rich

It certainly makes sense to go when its this close to home. Most of the events are indeed "hundreds of miles" away (from Florida) as one of you put it.

I am sure I could use some one-on-one if for no other reason than to unlearn some self-taught bad habits.

looking forward to more info in re the rest of our questions. Thanks for the continued input.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not very good at the multiple quoting feature - so let's see if I can respond in <font color="blue">BLUE</font> and imbed my answers....

As this would be our first experience with/impression of Viperdays we have questions and just want honest answers without putting you on the defensive.

As a salesman myself I would say that your advertisement for this event left out some valuable information. Specifically, it references the amount of track time for the money and that is all, unless you want to pay more. There was no mention of in-car or classroom instruction. The other things you mention like receptions, goody bags, and track-side assistance are at an additional cost above and beyond the price for the track time, $45 for a golf shirt ain't no gimme. Also, you quote $700, the post I replyed to quoted $780 for all the bells and whistles. I also thought the discount was $150 for first timers. Many of us are not VCA members due to the corruption and nepotism that is rampant in our region, so no VCA discounts for us.

The Michelin series is only for Michelin tires which none of us use so are we out of that one?
<font color="blue">The Challenge Series is sponsored by Michelin, so if you want to compete for prizes / points, then that's the tire you have to run. If not, then you can run another brand - not compete for points - but should you run a stickier tire than a street tire, you will need the specified safety equipment for a higher performance tire. The Viper Days points matrix will tell you what stuff you need. It's available online at www.viperdays.com</font>

How are numbers assigned? What kind of tech-in can we expect? Are pits assigned or FCFS? What are the saftey equipment requirements?
<font color="blue">Numbers are assigned FCFS, unless you have a nmber on file that you use at all ViperDays events. Courtney will work with you - esp. if you already have your car all stickered up, as they say... Tom Sessions is the Chief Tech Inspector - your car should be in condition to run on a track - clear brake fluid, new fluids otherwise, 5/6 point harnesses up to date, helmet SA95 or newer and less than 5 years old (again - rules are online above). Tom looks over the cars and finds things like - incorrect frame recalls, power sterring issues, loose stuff, etc. He's always on the lookout for potential weaknesses and ill-prepared cars, but ultimately it is your responsibility to make sure your car is safe. Pits are pretty much FCFS unless you have a specific need, such as power, camper hookups, etc. ViperDays and Vendors get priority pitting, obviously. Safety requirements are also online both in the Michelin Challenge Series rules and the points matrix. Even if you don't run the Challenge Series, you STILL have to have the safety equipment required depending on how your car would be classed in the Challenge Series. Sounds complicated, but it really isn't - the more prepped your car, i.e. the faster it is capable of going - the more safety equipment you need - pretty standard - just that ViperDays rules are done better than most because of the specificity and knowledge that comes with running a single marque series.</font>

Is Viperdays a for profit business?
<font color="blue">Yes</font>

The post mentions 2 "races" is that for everyone? Is it wheel to wheel or times against times?
<font color="blue"> Races are just that - wheel to wheel, door to door, rolling start, who crosses the finish line first, Viper Racing League races. One short race on Saturday and a longer inverted grid race on Sunday. Rules and requirements for the VRL are also posted online. the Michelin Challenge Series is timed and best time of hte weekend is stacked up against others in class for points / trophies. </font>

Just tell it like it is, you don't get much track time but you do get other *valuable* things if you want to pay extra for them...

For the VD fan club, Janni as always 8~),TacDoc, JoeB, Rich W, &amp; Pictureman, Thanks for your replys/input they will better help us decide wether nor not to attend, however:

As far as being "cheap", watching expenses is any good business mans priority, and a good reason why many of us can even afford a Viper in the first place. For me the raceing expense is negligable compared to the income I lose by being away from my business. A cost benefit analysis must be done for all expenses that result in a loss of income.

<font color="blue"> I am as "frugal" as the next person, and we've now raced other venues. For racing, there is no other league that offers the practice and race time that Viper Days does - and therefore on a per minute basis, it is on a par with SCCA and very often can be cheaper. For the Challenge Series, there are other programs that can offer you more track time, but I don't think that after 3 hours or so, you stop learning. It'll be interesting to see if the Florida guys that have a lot of time at Sebring see improved track times running with Vipers only. I will suspect that they will. You can truly only measure yourself when you are measuring your results against other Viper drivers in similarly prepared cars. </font>

At our track events we don't have much time at all to worry over Miatas... Mostly we're tryin' to run with the Ferraris and other fully race-preped cars like Porsches, Busch series cars, open wheels, turbo 'vettes and even a class winner and some top finishers at LeMans... Worthy competition you would all have to agree, and more representative of a true raceing environment. In fact we will be at Sebring the very next weekend (May 7) why don't some of you stay over and see for yourself. I have 2 guest suites available for free with plenty of parking...
<font color="blue"> Again - it's hard to know where you should be in relation to these cars and these drivers with the variety of factors such as levels of preparation, tires, weights, etc. I am sure some fast folks show up there - as they do at other events. We'd love to stay, but that pesky work thing intervenes and we have to get ready to try to get to freaking IOWA 2 or 3 weeks later to continue to run the VRL Series.... </font>

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LTHL-GRY, I am a Challenge Series competitor. I bought my first Viper in '03, it is a SRT10. It was the first SRT10 to compete at Viper Days. During the past two years I have only missed three events 2 due to family committments and 1 due to a close incounter with a berm at Gingerman(home track). Missing that one really HISSED ME OFF!!!!.

I had never driven a Viper until I drove it off the show room floor. So when I showed up at Mid America(IOWA)in May of 2003 I did not have a clue as to how to drive this car fast. It was because of the instruction that I have recieved for the last two years that I was able to take third place in the modified class in both the Eastern region and Nationally in the Challange Series :D . Yes you can get stickier tires, but why not drive on the track with the same tires you drive on the street with? After all the main reason for Viper Days is to learn how to better drive the amazing vehicles. That way you know who the car is going to behave when you are on the street doing silly things.

So "is it worth it?" You bet your sweet bippy :headbang: . Even towards the end of the season I was still asking for some help with turn in points on some of the tracks we go to. VIR in particular. You can always get someone to ride with you, the racers are the best put the local guys are great also. The social events are a bonus the track time is almost more than you can take in one weekend. By the time 5:00PM on Sunday rolls around I promise you will be tired. The track support can not be beat, in fact I have an appointment with Archer Racing to corner balance and set up my car on Friday morning. Having just installed Motons on my SRT10 I want to be able to get the most out of this car as I can and the track support helps us do that.

As Bob Barker says "COME ON DOWN" Then after you have done this one you will discover how much fun Viper Days events are and you will be bitten by the same damn snake that has bitten us all. See you at the track :headbang:

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Skip &amp; Courtney
How about their own run group - this way, all these "Florida" Vipers that are similar can run together, get the experience of a lifetime, and tell their own war stories. Sounds like some of them may already now the track, so they will be quick to instruct.
Also, they won't have to worry about some of us passing them :2tu:

LTHL-GRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright then, I have checked out the VD site and need some help with the points system...

I calculate I have 16 possible points:

02 R/T +3
No cats +2
Tubes/filters +2
Stock engine compresion +2
Delrin bushings +1
Non adjustable MOPAR R/T rear spoiler +1

That's 11 for modified class, now for the gray areas:
Does a vec-1 count as an aftermarket computer? +3
Do stock ACR shocks/springs count as a shock change? +2

I also saw traction control (?) and ABS-aftermarket so is there an add on for stock ABS?

If so I have to run Super Modified?

Where do you get the arm restraints required for R/Ts?

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has been years since i last attended a Viper Days event. You guys in florida best take advantage of this. This year at Sebring might be florida's last chance. VD's has not attended florida for some time. Get your cars out on the track, let the archer's or the other participants help &amp; guide you along. You'll learn much more than racing.

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding the cost issue of Viper Days. I recently was invited to join our local country club. This "opportunity" would only cost me a $10,000 initiation fee and $7000 a year dues. HMMM, I then realized I belong to the best country club there is, Viper Days. I do not spend near that much each year in "dues", ie. event fees. I get to buy really nice stuff for my car and still pay less a year than my other option. I never was one for chasing a little ball around a big field, I prefer to chase other cars and stay out of the field.

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LTHL-GRY
I would score your car as 16 points based on what I learned from Tom Sessions last year:
02 R/T = +3
No Cats = +2
Tubes &amp; Filters +2 (unless K&amp;N, then +1)
2002 Engine +2
Delrin Bushings +1
Mopar R/T rear spoiler +1 (only if over 4" Height)
VEC-1 +3
ACR Shocks or Springs +2
TOTAL POINTS = 16 = SUPER MODIFIED.

No adder for stock ABS, it's already in your model year.
Even if you change to Motul oil(-1), you are still in Super Modified.
You could get to Modified with K&amp;N Filers (-1), Motul Oil (-1) and removeing you rear wing(-1), but how do YOU feel about that. Modified is still a fast class, but you are still going to have alot of fun and learn a ton, not knowing your driving skills and all.
At this point, you may want to call Skip Thomas and discuss it with him. He is more knowlegeable than myself.
Note, I spent a small fortune modifying my Viper down to the Super Stock level, but I added all safety realted items.
Check the score sheets &amp; times from last years events, Super Modified sometimes only has a few cars in it. Good Luck.

LTHL-GRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks FlyBryViper,

I think Motul &amp; K&amp;N is the way to go and if my Purners can be dated and certified then I have enough deducts to be in the modified class.

That spoiler is way to good to give up... Definitely makes an R/T safer at speed.

Still looking for info on the arm restraints...

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that by zeroing out the VEC-1 you can remove the points adder. I don't think the Mopar spoiler is over 4" in height, so that should be a zero. You should be able to get to Modified pretty easy.

Bobby Archer / Team Tech. most belt manufacturers have arms restraints - SCCA requires in all open cars.

LTHL-GRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought about zeroing the Vec-1, but I think I can get to modified and still use it... I need -3 so with motul and k&amp;n I only need -1 more point and the wheels will get it.

What is the procedure for dating and certifying wheels?

If I only have a 1 piece suit do I have to have nomex underwear? Are nomex balaclavas and socks required? Are 2-layer suits allowed? Is there a minimum SFI rating? The VD site only says "nomex suit"

I found the arm restraints, but how are they mounted/attached?

I thought I knew a little about this but this discussion is showing me how much of a 'rook I really am...

Looks like I am about to go on a shopping spree...

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JT:

There is no doubt that Viper Days is more expensive that a lot of other opentrack/racing clubs but,they offer you more services and more importantly,being able to run with cars similar to yours.
I know this business very well and have no interest in "promoting" VD,on the contrary since I run an open/track/racing club in northern California,but the truth is that Skip and Courtney work very hard at putting a 1st class show together and that do not come cheap.

Also, you have to keep in mind that entry fee "pricing"is directly related to the numbers of participants and obviously, since only mostly Viper drivers/owners can participate, they have a very narrow "customer base" compared to clubs like mine.

Luc. 00GTS

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John Purner can certify your wheels- he's done so for some of the VRL guys. Not sure if Skip will have Forgeline on site in Sebring to certify.

Arm restraints attach to your harnesses - not quite sure how it works, but basically you attach to keep you parms form flailing out the roof / window in the event of a rollover.

One piece suit or one layer? Not sure that number of layers is specified for Challenge Series, but if it's not, do the research on how long a one, 2 or three layer suit will protect you in the event of a fire and that'll probably answer your question. For extra fun, buckle yourself all in the car - helmet and everything, and time yourself getting out. VRL guys are required to do fire drills.

And good for you for doing all this early! Preparation is key! See you in about a month!

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Basic rule of thumb I learned years ago is:
single layer professional suit = 30 seconds fire resistance,
add 15 seconds for each additional layer, including underwear.
Ex. 2 layer suit is 45 seconds, plus underwear (+15) = 1 minute. I don't want to need that long, but think worst case, on fire at 120+ down a backstraight.
Today, suits are better, so you will only be more protected.

#54gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me give you an example why you pay a bit more with ViperDays. I ran VIR in 03 and my time was 2:23. in 04 I ran it again after being with Viper Days and ran the same track in 2:16 and took first place. So you do the math!!! Like my buddy who loves golf told me once: "You can go to the driving range with your clubs and practice your mistakes all day long, you'll never improve. Nobody will be there to correct you". So that somebody is the experience instructor, and someone needs to pay him that's why it's a BIT more.

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I knew you had to be getting paid to yell at me through the intercom as I missed my braking point, or turn-in point, or smacked the throttle like a drag racer, or missed a shift, or any of the other crazt stuff I was doing.
Of course, after all your great instruction, I was first in my group and 3rd in my class. Thank You to all the instructors that teach us to drive our Vipers safely at speed!

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On the arm restraints, I had to get them this year and had the same questions. One end of course goes around your bicep and tightened with velco, the other end has a loop on it and you put i around one of your buckles on the six or five points and then snap it in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21