Viper Drifting

usaf0016

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love it, and 200k miles too, i would brag too, you truly do drive that thing!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
damn that looks like fun. i got to do a little bit of that stuff the day before i swapped out my tires in a huge lot. it reminded me of being a kid driving around in the snow when nobody was on the roads...:)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
damn that looks like fun. i got to do a little bit of that stuff the day before i swapped out my tires in a huge lot. it reminded me of being a kid driving around in the snow when nobody was on the roads...:)

LOL... Yeah, when I bought my car the tires were basically scrubs. Easy to spin, and didn't care about the wear rate at that moment. New ones were on the way to Discount Tire. Fun while it lasted, cause the new ones stick much better, and cost to much to burn up in a parking lot. But as he said, really really fun for a bit.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just saw a NOPI episode last Sunday that showed two SRT10 drifters smash their Vipers. Hulk Hogan's son rear ended his into a wall twice and the other one flipped and landed on it's top. I recorded it, and if I can figure out how to convert a DVD to viewable video, I'll post it.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If drifting is about impressing 17 year old girls, the same must be said of any other form of racing. I really don't get all the bagging I hear about drifting on this forum. Drifting like anything else is about car control when it's hardest to control. Besides Drag Racing, the roots of drifting are more American than any other forum of motorsport. What red blooded American kid didn't do endless doughnuts and burnouts in dads old Chevelle.

Cool video, and great car control. I'd love to master that someday.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
17 year old girls?Try 5 year old girls and 7 year old boys.Drifting is a stupid ricer pastime.The equivalent of low riders.Monster trucks.Championship wrestling etc.Perfect for the IQ challenged.For the love of god at least auto-x it.Can you imagine some idiot drifting in a lambo or ferrari?I'd prefer to see a Viper put in a car crusher rather than drifted.Then again maybe its the owner that belongs in the crusher. GTS Bruce

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce, why the anger? The guys having a great time in his Viper, did someone make you the keyholder of proper gentlemanly use of the Viper? So what your saying is that someone like Samuel Hubinette is an I.Q. challenged individual. It must follow that you are a better driver than anyone who drifts as well, because you certainly are intellectually superior, right? Please inform us on the proper use of a Dodge Viper, since I didn't get that manual.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I'm to believe all these magazine articles and videos of Jeremy Clarkson, that must have been computer generated because everyone knows a Viper will spin with no warning.

I'd actually love to learn to drive like that, and maybe before I put on a new set of tires I'll give it a try. I think the whole "sport" of drifting is dorky and about as interesting as watching turtles race, but I think that knowing how to catch a car that's trying to come around would be a very valuable asset.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to give it a try if I could find the proper place to do it without getting arrested. I have several older tires that need to be burned up. I spoke with Sam H. when he was here in the Northwest for competition. I was surprised to learn that he used 4th gear primarily except on the short, tight radius turns. He has amazing car control. If you have seen the A4 commercial on TV where the guy does a 180 and slides perfectly into a parking space between two cars - that's what I'm talking about. Sam said that he has done that a few times in a public setting and then calmly got out of the car, locked it and walked away. He said the reaction of the by-standers was priceless.

Bob K

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well the Viper owners are showing their age here eh? (not all of them but a few). Heaven forbid someone actually DRIVE their Viper on a TRACK! Your poor Viper may sit endlessly in the garage like a 3D poster but that doesn't mean they all do. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean its uncool or stupid. The Viper is a beast of a car and being able to control spinning 335's for more than 2 seconds is a chore. I love owning a Viper, it has been a dream of mine since I was 12 years old but I had no idea that my fellow owners were so "high and mighty" and that they looked down upon those who don't stick their cars in a museum......I feel like I'm on a friggen Lamborghini forum or something. :dunno: You guys need to put down your cigar and go for a spin....you just might enjoy it.

Not a Viper so I'm sure it'll really get flamed but here is me playing in my bud's 350Z trackday car. I'm in the Silverstone Z (darker silver). It may not be fun to watch or be a true sport but damn is it fun! Don't knock it till ya try it. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZQ-5og5LSU

Rob

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of tires 17" rims. Fairly good shape. Decided I would rather just drive the car than take it to extremes. Used them to go down the 18th mile track 6 times. Anyone interested?

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would like to comment on this car, the driver and drifting in general.

The car is a 1996 RT/10 with almost 200,000 miles. The engine was replaced at 96,000
miles with an Arrow rebuild. We supercharged the engine and did a valve job on it about a year ago, since then it has lived on the rev limiter for numerous drifting events.
I am amazed at the durability of this engine.

This customer drives has driven his car daily for the last ten years to and from road race, drag and drifting tracks for competition (and back home) for years. He is truly a Viper fan.

On the subject of drifting. I was not a fan at first, but after being contracted by Mopar to head the Viper drift team for a season and working on the car for two winning seasons I gained a great respect for this sport. It is hard to set up a car to grip and slip at the same time. Russ from Archer racing, Tom Odell (GTSR former crew chief) and myself struggled to understand this new concept. The amount of skill required by the driver to drift competitively in competition is huge. I walked away from all this with a great respect for all involved.

Dan Cragin
DC Performance Inc.

OP
OP
Reaction score
Haha ... GTS Bruce,

You mentioned Auto-Xing ...I've done quite a few over the past 10 years including winning the TCRA Division 2 Time title at the Cal Speedway, as well as a bunch of other unimportant stuff. The real fun is all about enjoying what you do. For me drifting has been a blast. It's one of the hardest motor sports I've ever had the privilage of being involved in.

If you're interested here's some of the other racing I've done ...

http://members.cox.net/gstg3/racing.htm

I'm really looking forward to next year. Dan (DC Performance) keeps telling me I have to make a descision if I want to make a competition race car or a daily driver ... so far I'm still holding on to both :cool:

By the way DC Performance has been absolutely incredible to me over the 10 years they have been servicing my car. Now if I can convice Dan that I can have a competitve Drift car that still has it's A/C unit in there ...haha. :cool:

www.gstg.info

SidewinderGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats a great video.:2tu:
Here`s one of me trying the same thing and spinning out.
ITS A BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drive:

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Reaction score
It's awsome fun ... yea it's fairly tuff to keep it under control. The big issue is steering angle which is not easy to adjust. DC Performance (310) 841-6996 is doing all my engine modifications, and SWS (Street-Wise Racing) is doing all my steering and fabrication adjustments, like roll cage, etc. If you're interested give Doug (SWS) a call (949) 459-0744. He's done a great job for me and is very interested in Vipers modifications. He'd love to hear from other Viper owners interested in Drift / Car control adjusments.

There are not many vendors out there that have the skill and knowledge level needed to make a good drift car. Dan at DC Performance is one of them. Doug at SWS handles the Saleen Mustang Drift cars as well as mine. Auto-Form also definately has the expertise, but I was unable to contact them in over 3 months of calling. I think they are simply to over booked with work at the moment handling the Mopar drift cars.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blah,blah,blah,drifting blah,blah.Write when a Viper gets back to Lemans.Drifting is low riders,ricers,cage fighting,championship wrestling,hot dog eating contests,survivor,the simpsons etc.Have fun.Sorry I'm not interested. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
Reaction score
To each their own. Some like Drag racing (done it), some like Auto-Xing (done it), some enjoy just driving it (do it all the time), and some like Drifting (getting better at it ...haha). I have been enjoying my Viper for the past ten years and hoping to enjoy it for the next ten. One of my favorite things about the Viper is that it no matter what you like to do with a high performance car the Viper is one of the few that can do it all :cool:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey 96-RT10,
Although I don't care much for drifting, I'm not above giving it a try. You're enjoying the ride and that's what's important. After putting 200K miles on your car, I would say your getting full use and enjoyment.:2tu:

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't mind Bruce, he's the VCA grumpy old fart.

Dan I didn't know you were a joint effort with the Mopar team.

and yes Hogan is a newb at drifting, Chris Cook however is not. The car just hooked at little to far wide hitting the big plastic barrier with the rear catching it and flipping on it's roof. Chris was ok just a weee bit hurt but the hardtop and roll cage on that thing held up extremely well. The top just had a big mark on it that would buff right out.

--RS

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's difficult to take Viper drifting seriously when hogan is wrecking a Viper, which seems like every week, on the Speed channel...he's doing more harm than good. He's turning it into Viper bashing. Kid needs to spend his father's money somewhere else.

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blah,blah,blah,drifting blah,blah.Write when a Viper gets back to Lemans.Drifting is low riders,ricers,cage fighting,championship wrestling,hot dog eating contests,survivor,the simpsons etc.Have fun.Sorry I'm not interested. GTS Bruce

Don't you bring Cage fighting and the Simpsons into this Bruce!!! hahaha
Two of the best pastimes in this great country!!
As for drifting.. have you ever done it!?! It takes superior control and quick reactions to become even good at it! But hey, you just keep that car looking good and sitting in your garage, talking crap about things you have no clue about...
:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960