Viper Frame a mess

OP
OP
K

Kevin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi JDR;
The thought had occured and was checked that it could be the electric lock somehow jamming. It was more of a; the door did move just tight in the frame. I don't think without being a contorshionist you could pull the mechanical release and ram the door with your shoulder. To be honest when you pulled the mechanical release it wouldn't open but I don't remember wether it pulled all the way.
As for the hummer just my humor thinking of something more like a tank. Personally I think the new style hummer ***** I wouldn't buy one They remind me of a fat Volkswagon bus from the 60s. Hope That doesn't rub anyone the wrong way.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,

You said that my comments toward the plants employes (craftpersons?) is displaced and to "prove" you state that you "hired" 2 craftpersons from the plan to adjust your facia and they did a perfect job.

Don't you realize how funny it is?

1/ The crafpersons during production of your Viper didn't perform a correct alignement on your facia.

2/ When you hire and PAID those "same" craftpersons, they can do it

That only prove 3 things:

A/ They knew how to do it and a perfect alignement was possible.

B/If they were "real" craftpersons they will have done it correctly the first time during production/assembly

C/ They took a lot more pride in their job when they worked for themselves and/or for cash than for DC.

Luc.
00GTS

Sorry Luc, I should of provided more detail. This was a second fascia. I cracked my original on a curb (ouch!) and 2 different dealers were unable to position the replacement good enough for me. Note the replacement was direct from ASC (the OEM source) and was essentially identical to the original. The original was previously installed well and I had no complaints prior to my mishap. I do not believe they (the craftspeople) installed it any better for me then they did when they built it originally. Just much better than the dealers.

What I do believe is that the assembly and adjustment process for the doors, hood and front fascia are such that you need an experienced technician to do it right. Or an inordinate amount of time for trial and error.

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "new style Hummer"... you mean the H2? Are we now changing the subject from Welding to a Gelding? I'm sure I'll offend some H2 owner, but come on? Why didn't they just call it the "Hummer Jr."? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, thanks for the info, and Sorry all you H2 owners (not for my statement... sorry you have one :smirk: )

...actually just having a little fun, they're fine SUV's.

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just another thought here. I too have noticed that sometimes my doors are harder to open and close than at other times. However, I do not attribute this to the frame. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the door hinges are aluminum. I don't know if this is a fact or not and have my car in storage for the winter so I can not easily go check myself. Regardless of the material type, the doors seem to flex in the vertical axis very easily when opening or closing the door. If I put any significant body weight (such as using the door to assist myself out of or into the car) the door seems to bind and will not open or close easily. If I do not put weight on the door and simply swing it open or shut, it closes easily.

Suppose your doors are doing the same thing? Is it possible that the frame is not flexing but either the hinges are flexing or due to the incline you and your passenger are exerting force on the doors that you don't exert on the doors if you are on a level surface?

I am not trying to imply anything about right or wrong, I am just trying to offer another possible cause for the issue that you are experiencing.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does everyone know that the Hummer H2 FRAME is the same as a Chevy Suburbus? It's made by robots! Nothing to do with a Viper at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine