Viper hub with 5-bolt pattern?

mak1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi

I have started a project in rebuilding an SRT-10 into an AC-Cobra replica. I would really like to put on the "Halibrand Cobra III" wheels on this one (Theese wheels have a 5-bolt 114,3-pattern). The problem is that I don´t have enough space to put on "adapters/spacers" to adapt the Viper 6-bolt pattern (6x114,3) into the Ford 5-bolt pattern (5x114,3). First I thought I would disassemble the hub and put it in a milling machine to refit it into 5-bolt. But when possible, it would be a heck of alot easier to simply change the entire hub. Then comes the next question, anyone knows if there are rotors for the brake with 5-bolt pattern that can easily be applied? Anyone who has done something similar or know where to find spec´s on rotors, hubs etc...?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a cool project, for a possibly wrecked Viper? Though I don't have an answer for you, I do believe that the bolt pattern is the same as a Dodge Durango, Which of course is also six lug. You may actually find someone with that info. who might know of a possible cross reference. In fact the best person to ask would be Herb Helbig in his section on this forum.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys , he needs info on 5 bolt hubs ,not questioning his decision of his project.Maybe he has Halibrand fetish :) I don't criticize hot rodders for putting Chevy engines in their 32 Fords even though there're superior Ford engines available from SVT performance .:eater:

OP
OP
M

mak1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To make a long story short...

I just love the Viper! I have an 2001 RT/10 that I bought from a guy at this forum. The Cobra project has been something that I have wanted to do for a long time. I live in Sweden (Europe), and over here there is a Cobra replica based on the Corvette which is pretty cool. However, why build on a Corvette or Ford when you know how much cooler the Viper is? Therefore I bought a complete SRT-chassis to build on. Still I want the Cobra to look "retro" and the Halibrand rims are a part of the retro look. Not the type of rims I would put on my RT/10;-)

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mak1 , this is my son who is 21 now :drive:

You must be registered for see images

Cobras are cool ,even if it's only a replica with a 5.0
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
M

mak1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha! It looks really good! Is it yours? It also has the "cobra rims" (American racing, Halibrand etc.)

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Friend built it and had fun with it .He built a few , last one was a Factory Five model with fuel injection.He now has a Caterham Lotus Super7 kitcar with the 2000 cc Toyota GT engine and likes it better than the Cobras :rolleyes: .

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something like this?

If so, here ya' go...

Dodge part numbers:
4641517AD 5 lug hub bearing
4815594 5 lug conversion center bolt
6502294 5 lug conversion center bolt nut

Not sure what type of brakes you were going to use.
These billett calipers and rotors are made by STRANGE Racing.
I am going to be running 15x3.5 "skinnys"...

Good Luck

Good Luck

Last edited:

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Hi

I have started a project in rebuilding an SRT-10 into an AC-Cobra replica. I would really like to put on the "Halibrand Cobra III" wheels on this one (Theese wheels have a 5-bolt 114,3-pattern). The problem is that I don´t have enough space to put on "adapters/spacers" to adapt the Viper 6-bolt pattern (6x114,3) into the Ford 5-bolt pattern (5x114,3). First I thought I would disassemble the hub and put it in a milling machine to refit it into 5-bolt. But when possible, it would be a heck of alot easier to simply change the entire hub. Then comes the next question, anyone knows if there are rotors for the brake with 5-bolt pattern that can easily be applied? Anyone who has done something similar or know where to find spec´s on rotors, hubs etc...?
You need a set of 94-95 Mustang hubs. They share the same track width as the older fox body mustangs but are five lug instead of four. If you want to run a wider track width in the front then use the 1996-2004 Mustang hubs. I have a set of 94-95 five lug hubs in my parts container back home....but that's 5k miles away. :(

Edit
Nevermind what I typed as I don't think it applies to you after rereading your first post....these would work with a factory five car and I don't know why I thought that's what you were building. lol.

OP
OP
M

mak1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey!
Now we´re talking!!! Treesnake, what diameter do you have on the rotors?? I guess you have an RT/10? I am building on an SRT... If I recall it right, my RT has 340mm rotors and the SRT has 355mm rotors... Hehe don´t know if you guys are into metric;-)??
Thanks for all help!

OP
OP
M

mak1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahh sorry! Now I see that you also posted the dimension of the brakes... Thanks alot!

OP
OP
M

mak1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treesnake. I have planned on using the original SRT-brakes do you know where to search for a 5bolt rotor that will fit? I dont think it´s necessary to put in larger/better brakes since the Cobra will weigh appr. 2/3 of the original SRT-10.

OP
OP
M

mak1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more thing, Treesnake... Will this modification give you the same track or will it be wider/narrower after the modification? Have you also modified your Vipers rear wheels/brakes/hubs?

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treesnake. I have planned on using the original SRT-brakes do you know where to search for a 5bolt rotor that will fit? I dont think it´s necessary to put in larger/better brakes since the Cobra will weigh appr. 2/3 of the original SRT-10.

I would think that any of the ftermarket rotoe companies (Stoptech, Brembo etc., would be able to fix you up with a two piece rotor. You can order the coreect bolt pattern "hat", then order whatever size rotor you needed to fit your wheels and calipers.

One more thing, Treesnake... Will this modification give you the same track or will it be wider/narrower after the modification? Have you also modified your Vipers rear wheels/brakes/hubs?

At this point of the build, I haven't put the front wheels and tires on yet.
We did do some basic measuring to figure the offset for the fron t wheels.
Visually judging how the new brake system fits in the wheel well and on the steering rack, the "track" is the same.

Yes, I have definitely modified my rear wheels/brakes/hubs....
I am running a narrowed 9 inch straight axle

I am using the same brake set up on the rear as the front. The new lightweight system will stop these big 31 inch tall tires...

(Of course I always have the chute as a backup...;))

OP
OP
M

mak1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My god! Tell me more about the beast you are building!!! Will it be a "street legal" car or only for racing?? Stock engine (I don´t think so), or modified?

OP
OP
M

mak1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks nice! I will follow your project with enthusiasm. Now my Cobra project looks small in comparison to yours;-). REALLY impressive

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks nice! I will follow your project with enthusiasm. Now my Cobra project looks small in comparison to yours;-). REALLY impressive

Thanks. I just updated it.

Good Luck with your project.

Let me know if I can help with anything....

OP
OP
M

mak1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treesnake. Can you recommend a store in the US that might be able to help me out in this matter? You see, here in Sweden I´m lucky if I find a store that can supply american carparts. Then the problem is that they normally dont have any american parts in stock, meaning that they dont have a clue of measurements, they only know which parts that will fit which car by follow the partslist...

Last edited:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treesnake. Can you recommend a store in the US that might be able to help me out in this matter? You see, here in Sweden I´m lucky if I find a store that can supply american carparts. Then the problem is that they normally dont have any american parts in stock, meaning that they dont have a clue of measurements, they only know which parts that will fit which car by follow the partslist...

Yes I can. There are some very helpful vendors on here that will see this and offer to help you.
I will contact some vendors also.
One way or another, some one will contact you today.

OP
OP
M

mak1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant thank you enough! This really helps me out!

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant thank you enough! This really helps me out!

It's Saturday. Might not be able to get back in touch with you until Monday.

These are OEM parts and must come from a dealer.
I looked under "dealers" in the "Marketplace" section....

"No Dealers"...:dunno:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mak1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sound´s fine! I´m not in a hurry. It´s still winter and snowing over here;)...

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Onlooker comment - I built a replica Cobra with a 340 Duster drivetrain (340, A-833 4-speed, 8.75 rear) and had a Mustang II front suspension with home-designed 3-link rear suspension. It was a crappy car when it first ran, but was Solo II E-Mod champ several years later. I learned a ton about weight distribution and braking, frame stiffness and steering. While it took ~3years of on-and-off effort, it was worth it since I drove it for 10 years. I finally sold it only because I wanted to drive something more than 3 months a year, so I bought Dodge's kit car - a Gen 1 Viper.

Go for it. The Viper is appealing because it's the kind of car you want. The only thing better is a car you built the way you want.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
M

mak1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any vendors around who have read this/can advice on proper parts?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang