Viper line up for sale......

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess is Chrysler will have a contractor build it under Chrysler direction. Not unlike other how Daewoo builds GM cars and keeps the badge under the OE name. It will still be a Dodge Viper but built by (Pininfarina, Saleen, Roush, Prefix............)

That's my take on it. And if that's the way to keep the Viper alive then so be it. It's good news. But Chrysler and the third party still need to be smart about it. If either get greedy then it will be the end of the Viper either entirely or at the least, as we know it.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris will be on the board shortly to comment further.
And shortly it is! Just so everybody is aware, the VCA national officers were with Chrysler executive staff at Chrysler's HQ when this was released to the newswire. It has been discussed at length and is a VERY, very good thing. Realize that the entire release talks about the future of the Viper and we firmly believe that this will strengthen the longevity of the brand. Why would you buy a specific model only to shut it down? You wouldn't.

It is certified through 2010, but with a new owner possibly in the works who knows where it will go. And of course when "exploring options" comes up that doesn't mean it is a done deal. They may buy the just the rights to the name, the plant - who knows? It could indeed mean that somebody else builds and owns the rights to the Viper name, but under the direction of Chrysler. The key is that they approached Chrysler/Cerberus directly about possibly making that purchase.

The bottom line is that the future of the Viper is still unknown. But this very clearly demonstrates that the Viper has a very serious value as a marquee vehicle. In my personal opinion, this all but guarantees that the Viper will live on regardless of who owns the rights. If Chrysler chooses not to sell it then they would obviously do something else with it - you don't just turn down a huge offer only to turn off the lights on it ten minutes later. This is a GREAT time to be a Viper owner as the future suddenly doesn't seem so gloomy - there is some serious money that wants to see it continue.

And one last note: The VCA will play a critical role in this as well. As the single largest (and only major) ownership group of the brand, Chrysler wants us to be intimately involved in the process, including meeting with any potential suitors beforehand. So what does that mean to you? That means that as a VCA member your voice will be heard loud and clear throughout this process. So don't worry about that Tata Viper just yet. :2tu:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chrysler considers selling the Dodge Viper

Flash from Autoweek:
Chrysler considers selling the Dodge Viper - AutoWeek Magazine

The Dodge Viper sports car could be history--at Chrysler LLC.

The company said on Wednesday that it is "exploring strategic options for the Dodge Viper business."

"This strategic review comes as the company focuses on enhancing its core business and leveraging its assets," Chrysler said in a statement.

Here is what Chrysler CEO Bob Nardelli said about the potential sale of the Viper:

"We have been approached by third parties who are interested in exploring future possibilities for Viper," Nardelli said in a memo to employees.

"As the Company evaluates strategic options to maximize core operations and leverage its assets, we have agreed to listen to these parties. We will do so keeping in mind the best interests of those who have shown tremendous support for the vehicle--including employees, suppliers, dealers and a worldwide group of loyal Viper owners and enthusiasts.

"Viper is an integral part of this company's heritage. While this is a strategic review, our intent would be to offer strong operational and financial support during any potential transaction, in order to ensure a future for the Viper business and perpetuate the legacy of this great vehicle."

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Chrysler considers selling the Dodge Viper

i was just reading that.....

Chrysler Explores Sale of Dodge Viper Unit
August 27, 2008, 11:38 am Link to This
E-mail this
Topics Mergers & AcquisitionsIndustries Airlines/Autos
Chrysler, the automaker, is exploring strategic options for its Dodge Viper sports car business as the struggling company tries to raise cash to ride out a deepening industry downturn in the United States.

“We have been approached by third parties who are interested in exploring future possibilities for Viper,” the chief executive Robert L. Nardelli said Wednesday in a memorandum to employees.

“As the company evaluates strategic options to maximize core operations and leverage its assets, we have agreed to listen to these parties,” Mr. Nardelli added.

The Dodge Viper is a low-volume V10-powered sports car, which was first produced in 1992.

A Chrysler spokesman Todd Goyer said about 11 Viper cars are built daily at Chrysler’s Conner Avenue assembly plant in Detroit. Chrysler has sold 682 Vipers so far this year, up 111 percent from the previous year.

Like its larger competitors, General Motors and Ford Motor, Chrysler, which is majority-owned by private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management, has faced scrutiny over its ability to ride out a downturn in American auto sales that many analysts expect to stretch through 2009.

All three Detroit automakers have been hit hard by the sharp decline in sales of pickup trucks, sport utility vehicles and vans that followed the rise in gas prices this year.

Chrysler said the decision on Viper is “a stand-alone strategic review, unique to Viper” and it has not set a definitive timetable for completion of the review.

Chrysler, which has retained Lazard as its financial adviser on Viper, had said earlier that it has identified about $1 billion in non-earning assets for potential sale to raise cash.

The company, which has released limited financial data since Cerberus bought it from Daimler about a year ago, ended June with $11.7 billion in cash and had earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization of $1.1 billion in the first half of the year.

Go to Article from Reuters via The New York Times »

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Chrysler exploring options for Viper?

I hate to inform you guys, who were talking about the baby seat tie downs, but if you actually look at your GenIII-IV passenger seat and behind the seat on the bulkhead wall, there at anchor points for a baby seat already!
P.S. My '08 kicks some serious &#$!

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The GenIII-IV already has anchor points for a baby seat, both behind the seat on the bulkhead (inside the panel) and right where the seat back and bottom come together!

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I could see Saleen buying up the rights and tooling to the Viper, considering they are already involved in the new Viper's body and paint. Also this would further their strong hold on building true American supercars.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank you Chris for your personal take on this VERY important subject. As VCA Members and probably speaking for ALL VIPER FANS, we WANT this Viper to live on...also being realistic as well in these times. We can only make our voices heard and hope. :drive::drive::drive: DRIVE AND ENJOY~!!!
**I already mentioned that a RACE Viper had a BABY SEAT installed, it was a GTS!**

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is great news I think. It shows that the suits are smart enough to know that even if the Viper doesn't quite fit into their business model, it has legs on its own... selling it would be a great decision. Let's hope someone who knows what they're doing buys it. Saleen sounds like a great idea.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i hate bull**** write ups by guys who don't know what they are talking about ... check out these quotes

Dave Cole, director of the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, Mich., said he was not surprised to hear Chrysler had put the Viper business on the block.

"The Viper is very low-volume compared to the Corvette," Cole said. "It is a muscle car without much finesse. It's an engine with wheels. It's just not a sophisticated execution."

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me if they stop making them. I have mine. It isn't like all the existing ones will go ~****~! and disappear. If anything, the Viper production ending would help us that own them. Supply vs demand would eventually increase the prices of used ones.

Priced any Ford GT cars lately? Damn, those are going up in value.

als 08 viper acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
damn they only sold 600 vipers this year? Thats only 12 per state!

This 682 Vipers Sold needs to be Clarified. Is this the number that has been delivered to the dealers only & picked up by the Customer. It was my understanding when they cut off ordering in late February 2008 that they were going to build approx 1350 which was all they could handle for 2008.

Al

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, I posted that article as well, lol~! Let us HOPE that Saleen picks up the Viper...I think that'd be a VERY smart move...as they help the Vipers now. OR Mercedes could pick it up...? ~juli
(Think McLaren VIPER)

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Viper's making a profit for the company, why would Chrysler sell it?

If you're any other company wanting to increase profits, would buying into a gas hog sports car that includes a gas guzzler tax for every US buyer seem like a smart move in these times?

- That'd be like opening up a refrigerator business in Alaska..

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm not surprised to hear it. I hope someones buys it who is willing to put some money in future development.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you're any other company wanting to increase profits, would buying into a gas hog sports car that includes a gas guzzler tax seem like a smart move in these times?

- That's like opening up a refrigerator business in Alaska..

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, I posted that article as well, lol~! Let us HOPE that Saleen picks up the Viper...I think that'd be a VERY smart move...as they help the Vipers now. OR Mercedes could pick it up...? ~juli
(Think McLaren VIPER)

NO MERCEDES!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

They hate all things American. They were the ones that blew the Viper's 10 year performance lead in the first place while pumping up their entire MB line to match or beat the Viper. This was intentional, as they can never stand an American brand kicking their @$$. Look at the ME412... cleaned the McLaren SLR's clock at a much smaller price tag. They scrubbed it.

Let's keep the Viper American please! :usa:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me if they stop making them. I have mine. It isn't like all the existing ones will go ~****~! and disappear. If anything, the Viper production ending would help us that own them. Supply vs demand would eventually increase the prices of used ones.

If you only put 300 miles a year on your Viper then I suppose you'd like to see them stop production. But many Viper owners bought their Vipers to drive them and since production numbers too high to put Vipers into any big-dollar market stratosphere we'd like to see the Viper continue to be built.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

NO MERCEDES!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:
They hate all things American. They were the ones that blew the Viper's 10 year performance lead in the first place while pumping up their entire MB line to match or beat the Viper. This was intentional, as they can never stand an American brand kicking their @$$. Look at the ME412... cleaned the McLaren SLR's clock at a much smaller price tag. They scrubbed it.
Let's keep the Viper American please! :usa:

Well, I would just say I want the VIPER to STAY the RAW BEAST that it is...if it's Saleen that takes over, that would be awesome. ANYBODY who buys this 'niche' market from Cerberus, I would think they'd make it a money-maker, no matter who they are...and what they develop for a *new* Viper. I think it'd be hard to say that it'll stay an American DODGE VIPER....VERY unfortunately. :( I WANT the VIPER!!!
~~~juli

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, I would just say I want the VIPER to STAY the RAW BEAST that it is...if it's Saleen that takes over, that would be awesome. ANYBODY who buys this 'niche' market from Cerberus, I would think they'd make it a money-maker, no matter who they are...and what they develop for a *new* Viper. I think it'd be hard to say that it'll stay an American DODGE VIPER....VERY unfortunately. :( I WANT the VIPER!!!
~~~juli

I'd rather the Viper die a quick death than to let is slip into obscurity, which Daimler nearly did with their neglect of the brand.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'd rather the Viper die a quick death than to let is slip into obscurity, which Daimler nearly did with their neglect of the brand.

I hear ya...and the VIPER could've been promoted much better too. BUT, I will stand by wanting the VIPER to continue...and HOPE whoever DOES buy it realizes WHAT a niche market the car really IS and keeps it the RAW BEAST that we all want it to stay. :drive: ~juli

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This 682 Vipers Sold needs to be Clarified. Is this the number that has been delivered to the dealers only & picked up by the Customer. It was my understanding when they cut off ordering in late February 2008 that they were going to build approx 1350 which was all they could handle for 2008.

Al

That figure quoted is for retail sales were the vehicle has been deliveried. As of 8/25 there have been 1244 built in 2008, and 19 more were built in late '07.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The most likely possibility is that they feel they could make a better return on investment elsewhere (i.e.: in another market segment).

This sounds to me like a last ditch effort by Chrysler to get something out of the Viper platform/brand before they make the final decision to axe it. Sort of like an NFL team taking a 7th rounder in exchange for a player they know they're going to cut soon anyway.

speedpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
someone may buy it but they are probably trying to figure the production cost as a stand alone unit. They will need to see what Chrysler will continue to supply. Deal will put sorely needed cash in Chryslers pocket. As the are selling less cars than many other manufacturers it still cost them a bundle to develop a platform. If they are selling 150,000 Ram trcks and GM or Ford is selling 750,000 the cost per platform for development alone is huge. Then you have common parts like cars and trucks share so it is even more costly to develop each part. Do hope it stays American!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Chrysler may sell Viper unit

David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau

Chrysler LLC said today it was considering a sale of its Dodge Viper business and has hired financial consultant Lazard to advise it.
The possible sale of the iconic two-seat 600-horsepower sports car follows the announcement earlier this year by General Motors Corp. that it was considering a sale of its Hummer brand.
"We have been approached by third parties who are interested in exploring future possibilities for Viper," said Bob Nardelli, Chrysler's chairman and CEO, saying the company is focusing on enhancing its core business and leveraging its assets. "We have agreed to listen to these parties. We will do so keeping in mind the best interests of those who have shown tremendous support for the vehicle -- including employees, suppliers, dealers and a worldwide group of loyal Viper owners and enthusiasts."

Chrysler's sales of the Viper are up 111 percent through July to 682 vehicles over 323 vehicles in the first seven months of 2007 -- but it is a tiny fraction of the company's total sales. A company spokesman noted Chrysler had sold more than 150,000 Dodge Ram pickups during the same period.
"Viper is an integral part of this Company's heritage. While this is a strategic review, our intent would be to offer strong operational and financial support during any potential transaction, in order to ensure a future for the Viper business and perpetuate the legacy of this great vehicle," Nardelli said.
The V-10 Viper is hand-built in a low-volume, modular process at the Conner Avenue Assembly Plant in Detroit. The vehicle was introduced as a concept vehicle at the 1989 Detroit auto show. It was first available as a production vehicle in the 1992 model year. Chrysler sold its 25,000th Viper in March -- an SRT10 presented by Nardelli to NASCAR driver Kurt Busch at the plant.
The Dodge Viper
You must be registered for see images attach
gets 16 miles to the gallon has a zero-to-60 time of 3.5 seconds.
You can reach David Shepardson at (202) 662 - 8735 or [email protected]

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: A China company might own us.

Well, if it is true, my hats off to a great run!

Basically a company like Saleen might be the only type of company that the Viper Hord would gravitate towards. If she goes overseas, "fagetaboutit". American owned or nothing I believe.

Can't say that the outcome is not expected with the country in consideration. Where did they get that 08' car count from? That does seem to be extremely low; like 1/4 of where I thought they would end up after this year!