Viper Magazine

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone get their issue of Viper Magazine yet? I thought I'd have it by now.
confused.gif

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My <u>Viper</u> magazine arrived today (12/26/02). Can't wait to find time to sit down and read it.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr Roof:
Got mine today!

Mine stinks, Seems we should have a better magazine
shake.gif
shake.gif
shake.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Read mine today and have to agree. Worst one I've seen since '98. Tech Q&A was lame. Also don't care about updates on Dodge Nascar racing...if I did I would have bought an Intrepid. How about an update on factory backed Vipers running in the FIA, ALMS, ROLEX 24, Le Mans...opps forgot there aren't any. Maybe that's why the mag is not very exciting anymore. Since there are no factory racing Vipers please spare us the Nascar crap and at least use that space for tuner/modification features. Just my .02.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Page 42 has a little write up on the BBQ Paul Roland has every year. Any viper owners in the Seattle / Tacoma / Portland area should plan on attending next year. Paul puts on a great event and the food is alway great!

Also, same page shows a banner I did for the event.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr Roof:
Got mine today!

Mine stinks, Seems we should have a better magazine
shake.gif
shake.gif
shake.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Viper Mag is the result of hard working business people informing and entertaining viper owners at a price any kid can afford.
PS.Thanks for showing TOOOFST this month.

supergrin.gif

VENM8R

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine just came in today too. It's printed on heavyweight paper, all color, etc. It's not too bad of a magazine. It costs a lot of money to print a rag and with the relatively small amount of vipers around (compared to other types of vehicles) we are lucky to even have one.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just like having the magazine. Wow......do you complainers have anything else to do? Life could be alot worse! Yeah, there could always be improvements, but it's not that bad. Tell you one thing...everytime I read it at the gym while doing cardio, someone asks if they could see it next.

Here is a thought. I'd like to see more comparisons done by different vendors on Mods., one size exhaust vs. another & noise differences.
Someone write on how all the "pro's" out there seem to hook up at the line while the others sit & spin the tires for 3 seconds.
Someone write an article in each issue about tricks on a certian modification installation.....we all know there are not-published tricks to some installs....The Q&A section doesn't cut it.
If we really want a good magazine, someone should keep track of the discussion board and those topics with the most hits could be summarized and mentioned in the issue in constructive depth. (Just leave out the "Bash Alex" thread from a few months ago).
In addition to the advertisements, part of the magazine could be devoted to a install-result type article on different modifications.

Andrew

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dr Roof, Since you have an idea of what the content should be, then make a suggestion, send in a photo or better yet write a story and submit it. Mark Gianotta is always looking for interesting articles. Coverage of individual tuners would be a problem. Once you open up the free advertizing for one than all would want equal coverage or they might threaten to pull their advertizing. Now if they actually accomplish some news worthy feat like SVS did with the run at Bonneville than I could see that as being a viable story. Coming up with a new product would not qualify (in my opinion).

Actually there have been many reports in the past on the accomplishments of Vipers racing all over the world but I don't see why Viper Magazine should report on every race that a Viper competes in. If you want FIA, SCCA, ALMS results than you can subscribe to the individual magazines which cover each of those sanctioning bodies in depth.

If you have an opinion on what should be covered than lets hear it. Maybe we can put a positive spin on this tread. By the way my issue showed up on 12-26.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine showed up yesterday. Who's complaining? I don't agree. This magazine is great. Great pics, variety of information, nothing wrong with nascar or other updates, good quality paper...at least I don't feel like I'm holding a newspaper.

I must be nuts. I like it.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I did get a message on my voice mail that my issue had been mailed...... but I still have not received mine... and I live in North Florida.

The one I do have (Eric gave me the last issue when I picked up my Viper) has been read half a million times.

I don't see any problem at all with highlighting a different Viper tuner guy in each of several issues, jsut give each reputable tuner a feature in an issue?

Skip the NASCAR stuff.. I can subscribe to a NASCAR magazine for that.... why not put ANY info on a Viper racing in though... makes more sense for FIA standings than for NASCAR stuff. Plus I seem to recall the LAST issue has a piece on NASCAR specifically Elliott on page 40.

As a suggestion maybe there could be a section that records 1/4 mile times, HP, 0-100-0 times, etc of various owners w/different mods.. kind of like in the back of each Car & Driver issue they have a data synopsis of all the cars they have evaluated?

The first Vipers are coming up on 10 years old, how about a section every once in a while on upkeep for a collectible car.. or some restoration tips ie.. locating those hard to find obsolete parts?

Just some thoughts,

Lance

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
I'm glad it's on quality paper and excellent pics. Content is ok. Tech could be better. Maybe add a GM bashing section.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe a "babes and vipers" section would help out.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GRRRRRRRRRR. I still don't have mine and I've had several people call and tell me that my wife is on the cover with 2 other Gateway Viper Vixens. I guess my mailman is taking the Pony Express Route this week.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think "The Suits" are too worried about product liability issues to let great, knowledgeable guys like KS, John Fernandez, Herb Helbig, etc., offer truly useful tips on modifications.

The regional reports have to be in 3 months ahead of time and that stinks (been there and done that.)

Face it, Dodge - these cars are like the Max Wedge and Hemi cars of the '60s and I think it's reasonable for us performance nuts to have factory performance clinics and tech info (remember the Direct--&gt;&lt;--Connection program?) offered by Dodge. Now John F. is heading up Mopar Performance. Hopefully there's a chance.

Go ahead and call me crazy, but that's what I want. It would make my $100 membership worth a lot more.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Malcoll, I believe they have given a lot of coverage to many differant Viper racers in the past (and I am sure in the future). I remember reading about a Viper in Australia, the ViperSpeed World Challenge effort a few years ago, ORECA, Carsport, Taisin GTS-R's, VRL, VCA Club racing, etc. So I think that although this last issue didn't have much, it would be unfair to say that it is overlooked completely.

I do like the suggestion on restoration. Now who could be the VCA member who would qualify and write that article? Has anyone had to restore one yet? I would like to have some paint codes for the early 3 spoke wheels and the grey dash boards. N.O.S. parts I don't know about. Many of the body panels for the Gen I cars are no longer available. Did anyone stock up while this stuff was still available? I bet there is very little stuff stashed away. I know I have extra tires, hoses, spark plug wires, rear window glass, side curtains and a top but, not carpeting or seat skins.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm afraid I have to agree with the negative post.

This month's issue was quite a yawner.

I actually opened it looking for 'MEAT' on the SRT. Seems like, though they wanted to profile VOI (and that's fine), but shouldn't they keep driving home the SRT message, and supporting the new car? How many pix were there of the SRT in the magazine? I don't remember too many.

Yes, I know there is a multi-month lag to publication, but frankly, Viper mag has never been, for me, what I look for in a car magazine.

It strikes me as an advertising vehicle. No controversy, no in-depth technical articles, no show-your-warts honesty. All safe, short, marketing pieces with a(one, 1) nice acompanying photo.

Wouldn't the front/rear chassis recall have deserved a full article? How about the ACR belts? An explanation and some photos would have been awesome! We're owners--we want the GOODS, baby. Use the magazine to give us the inside scoop.

How about an article on the heat problem in the SRT-10? Give us the entire story about how the problem was discovered, what kind of back-room strategizing took place, what engineering decisions were proposed, how the problem was brilliantly solved, and what happened when the mags printed stories about it anyhow.

How about a profile on emmisions, and the challenge Dodge faces every day meeting them? Dodge gets it done, baby, in a market where toyota finally threw up its hands and gave up on the supra, I understand primarily because of California emmisions. The story of how we make all this power while protecting the air has got to have a lot of interesting twists and turns, and be filled with it's share of "VIPER WINS AGAIN" punctuation marks.

We want the soap opera baby--we are passionate about our cars, and want the behind-the-scenes passion in our magazine. Make the viper real to us, not just some picture of two smiling people standing in front of a car.

Think of a comedy piece on the daily experience of owning a viper. A comedy piece on your first time at the race-track.

Walkthroughs about HOW to do things to your car, how to go to a racetrack for the first time, even.

There are some things that EVERY other owner seems to do to their Viper, yet I haven't in 3 issues (only) seen anything addressing any of them in detail, aside from an article describing what Wayne did to his (with no real meat in it, itself).

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mal-

My whole way home from work I was looking forward to the mail. I felt like the little kid in 'A Christmas Story' DOUGH! Foiled again. There are 3 other Viper owners in a 3 mile radius of my house and 2/3 have already gotten thiers and I haven't spoken with the 3rd. My wife is looking forward to seeing her picture on the front of it too! Oh well, there's always tomorrow. Let me know when you get yours. The Pony Express is one theory. The other is that the Victoria Secret Catalog was stuck to it and my mailman is 'borrowing' it for a couple extra days
blush.gif

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd, I think you haven't been paying too much attention to who pays for this magazine. If you haven't figured it out from the advertizing space than take a look at the lower left hand corner of page 7 in the volume 9, winter 2003. I only agree with one of your suggestions. An article on the intracacies of passing the EPA certification would be interesting, but I am sure someone else would say that "that was pretty boring".

By the way I counted 10 pictures of the SRT-10 and 2 of the Comp Coupe in this edition of VM. Not bad for a car that hasn't even made it into the hands of Owners. If they did any more coverage there would be a backlash from those who have the older cars. "Now that there is a new Viper we with the old ones are forgotten blah, blah, blah"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960