viper newbie

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my first post as a Viper owner and I'd like to say hello to everyone. I just bought my first Viper, a 2002 Graphite Metallic GTS. These things are beautiful.

Alittle about myself, in 2001 I ordered a 2002 Camaro SS with all the bells and whistles. Made some modifications to her, babied her, then sold her in January. Febuary 24th I bought my Viper. I live in Eastern PA so I have yet to drive her much, but I can't wait til the snow is gone. Man do these cars get the attention.

I have a few questions for everyone. Are there any little hints or tips that anyone can share, any good modification websites to read? Has anyone swapped out the factory exhaust for an after market cat-back exhaust? If so which are the better ones? Any easy, "need to be done right away" mods? Any info would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

Matt

tommygun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my first post as a Viper owner and I'd like to say hello to everyone. I just bought my first Viper, a 2002 Graphite Metallic GTS. These things are beautiful.

Alittle about myself, in 2001 I ordered a 2002 Camaro SS with all the bells and whistles. Made some modifications to her, babied her, then sold her in January. Febuary 24th I bought my Viper. I live in Eastern PA so I have yet to drive her much, but I can't wait til the snow is gone. Man do these cars get the attention.

I have a few questions for everyone. Are there any little hints or tips that anyone can share, any good modification websites to read? Has anyone swapped out the factory exhaust for an after market cat-back exhaust? If so which are the better ones? Any easy, "need to be done right away" mods? Any info would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

Matt

Congrats and welcome,

Hint and tip:Make sure the wheels are straight ahead when you mash the gas, I am sure the camaro was fast but these things are ungodly fast and torquey.

mods:sean roe, snake oyls, just do a search.

exhaust:Yes, do a search, too many to list.

need to be done right away:If it doesn't already have it, get a smooth tube air intake and k&n style air filters.

Good luck,

Tommy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Congrats, Matt...NICE choice.

Suggest that you jump right in and contact your local VCA members, join the Club...they can help you with mods, service tips, and FUN !!!

Keep your eye open for a Viper Days event in your neck of the woods...NOTHING like it !!!

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3369Picture_058-med.jpg
I started asking about air filters,smooth tubes and exhaust 2 years ago, and now I cant stop wanting more goodies to go even faster..See what my 60 dollar air filters turned into? Its MADNESS...you will see...Congrats and welcome aboard Matt. Roe racing has S&B air filters and tubes, better than K&Ns. Most people are using Borla or Corsa cat back exhaust systems. Anything you need to know about your Viper or mods can be found here. Use the search engine, you will be sucking up info for days. There are even soundclips for many aftermarket exhaust systems as well...Al...00PROWLER... :D :D :D :2tu:

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Congrats!

As others have mentioned - make sure the wheels are pointed straight when you get on the GO pedal. Also, even with the size of the Viper's tires - traction is limited in cold weather.

Good Luck.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome Matt- during the summer there are plenty of events within a reasonable driving distance (I am in the philly burbs). Shoot me an email if you want to meet up for some of them when the weather turns nice.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Exhaust ,filters and tubes are a must!
These things sound like a$$ with stock exhaust. You don't even have to spend alot of money getting it to sound like it should. Either delete the cats or the rear mufflers. Best is to buy a cat back system and delete the cats. B&B is the best kept secret as far as cat back systems go. They are the loudest and the meanest sounding, if that's what you like. My buddy put a Borla on, cause he couldn't hear his stock Viper whenever my car was within 50ft of his.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome! Join VCA as quick as you can, if you don't know how, say so and we will hook you up. Cat back exhaust, smooth tubes and filters. Tubes and filters worth 10HP at the crank, standard on the ACR model, catback...Borla, Snakeoyl only ones I have heard. I have Snake Oyl, lots of guys like borla. They all sound different, I would suggest not doing the catback until you go to your first get together and listen to the various systems.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, and really, watch the cold weather, the fall and the spring are when we usually get a couple reports of guys checking out in their Vipers, unexplained lack of control. This is about tire temperature, if you watch the speed channel there is a reason for all that weaving, keep the tires warm. You are now driving a race car licensed for the street. At this time of year if you hit it when you are not lined up straight or miss a shift, easy to do 2nd to third and 3rd to 4th you WILL spin. Having said that, ain't it nice to be driving a car that can cause that kind of warning?

OP
OP
M

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all. The original owner put smooth tubes and K&N filters on her. Once it gets nice out I'll probably blow them out to clean them. Can't wait to wash and Zanio her! I am kinda low on cash right now (as might be expected). So although I will eventually get a cat back exhaust, it will have wait til next year. This will allow me to do some research

One other question, the original owner had a clear protective "shield" on the very front installed I think its called "strong shield" anyone heard of that? Can I polish it?

Thanks again, I look forward in reading and learning and trying to help answer other's questions