Viper or Ferrari...Go easy please

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone has their personal opinions and you should go with what you really want. I am fortunate enough to have a superchared 96GTs and about 6months ago bought a 2002 360. Its not the Testarossa but still a ferrari. In my case I wanted the F car for a long long time and kept buying other cars because of many of the comments already made. I can tell you the F-car is made to be driven. They are NOT happy sitting in a garage. That being said if you worry about depreciation don't buy one to drive. It is rediculous how these cars depreciate with mileage and it really doesn't make sense.

In any case they are very different cars. If I had to choose one it would be tough. Really depends on what you want.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you rented a GTS for a month and still have to ask then you need to get the little red car with the prancing horse.

Then after about 6 months you'll sell the ferrari for a loss and get the Viper.

bye bye now, have fun.

Right because we all know Ferraris don't hold their value. :rolleyes:

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
F the ferrari Testerossa..total pig and outdated..If you want an exotic..goe for this

4718104_0490-med.JPG

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A s/c viper is fast machine but if you think a viper with a roe s/c is in the class of an enzo in top end and handling you are on serious drugs! How could it be for 900G less.. :D

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper with Roe S/C = Enzo Ferrari super car performance, and save a few hundred grand...AL...

But at the end of the Day it's still a Dodge. Hey that's way we tell Mustang and Corvette owners here, truth hurst sometimes.

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar426: LOL, That's what seriously nearly kept me from buying my GTS. Did I want "a Dodge" ? The newer F and L cars are very exotic and with that more fragile, but it is supposed to be a "labor of love". What really swung me was the Viper is American, which ment even more to me after the events on 9-11-01, and it's a much simplier, more reliable package.

It may be a "clown Shoe", but it's sure a cool one ! I am like the original poster of this thread. I "need" at least a dozen cars, and therein lies the struggle. Press on friend, and go with your heart. But old school is old school. Personally if I were looking at the price of a Rosa, I would buy a 70 Chevelle (or similar) plus a couple of other cool cars and be just as happy with it/them...

( Yes, I just said I would rather have a 70 Chevelle than a Testerossa. )

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a s/c'd viper (at least an SRT )is probably not far off in performance from an enzo(0-60 3.4, top speed 212) a stock SRT is (0-60 3.9, and top speed 196) add another 200 rwhp and you cant be too far off. other handling/braking characteristics are not that far off. and if you are talking value the $800 oil changes are a joke on the enzo(oil is almost $80 a qt. for the special Shell oil, that if you dont use it voids your warranty on a $200,000 engine)

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
( Yes, I just said I would rather have a 70 Chevelle than a Testerossa. )

Agree 100%, i'd rather Old Muscle be it GM or Mopar. But then agian "I'm a old schooler in a young body. :laugh:

OP
OP
T

theitdude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you rented a GTS for a month and still have to ask then you need to get the little red car with the prancing horse.

Then after about 6 months you'll sell the ferrari for a loss and get the Viper.

bye bye now, have fun.

How utterly witty. Some of you poeple really are cockbites...

OP
OP
T

theitdude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I verified insurance is 600, yes that's correct 600 dollars cheaper a month on a Viper.
I think you mean the Viper is $600 A YEAR cheaper than the Ferrari. No way is the ins on a Ferrari Test going to cost an extra $7k a year in insurance.
Nope, you read it right. Almost 600 monthly more for a 90 -92 Testarossa.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ferrari has that big legendary name that everybody including your old aunt has heard of. You become part of that fraternity.
It says "you have arrived".
Kind of like the BMW of high performance vehicles.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ferrari has that big legendary name that everybody including your old aunt has heard of. You become part of that fraternity.
It says "you have arrived".
Kind of like the BMW of high performance vehicles.
True but most of us Viper owners have "arrived" and choose to have one of the baddest cars on the planet a Viper!!! :headbang:

OP
OP
T

theitdude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow... $600 a month... that's a lot of tires you can go through

I won't be abusing the car, so tires won't be an issue. I bought an NSX new in 94 and it ate rear tires due to the toe, or camber, whatever the angle is. The dealer actually gave me a cert for a extra set of tires. Rears lasted just over 6000 miles. That's pathetic. They said NSX's are set with agreesive camber to help the car stick.
I am having a PPI done on a red 99 GTS. If it passes and the offer is accepted, I will go with that. I have a neighbor who has a 328 and a 360 and he tells me the cure to wanting a Ferrari is buying one. Meaning, the endless maint. bills take the allure away pretty quick.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow... $600 a month... that's a lot of tires you can go through

I won't be abusing the car, so tires won't be an issue. I bought an NSX new in 94 and it ate rear tires due to the toe, or camber, whatever the angle is. The dealer actually gave me a cert for a extra set of tires. Rears lasted just over 6000 miles. That's pathetic. They said NSX's are set with agreesive camber to help the car stick.
I am having a PPI done on a red 99 GTS. If it passes and the offer is accepted, I will go with that. I have a neighbor who has a 328 and a 360 and he tells me the cure to wanting a Ferrari is buying one. Meaning, the endless maint. bills take the allure away pretty quick.

We're glad you'll be joining the party. :2tu:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to be a Lamborghini fan especially when I got a ride in one. Then Dodge came out with the Viper concept in 89 and production version in 92. The Viper instantly became a true American exotic almost overnight and was considerably less expensive.(with the exception of the dealer markups in the first years) I agree with Jeff T that you should rent a Ferrari. Keep in mind that shelling out $50-100k or more on a 2 seater is not a sane thing to do. Whatever you decide it must fill your craving for a thrill ride. If you don't get a rush when you get behind the wheel there is no point. I plan on keeping my black 2000 RT/10 forever as it fills my craving. Good luck.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For as many Ferrari's that are sold (not many), there are always a ton for sale. I think that tells you something.... Seems these cars go from one owner to the next. Many are sold after that first repair bill or 'routine maintenance' bill. That being said, if I had money too burn I would own a 355 Berlinetta. Always liked that car....