Viper or Ferrari...Go easy please

theitdude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright I'm sure this isn't the first time this has come up. Please go easy on me. I am on the fence big time trying to decide on a GenII Snake car or a Ferrari Testarossa. I would like some feedback on the pros and cons of going Viper or Ferrari. I rented a 2002 Viper for a month and am familiar with it's handling/performance. I know cost of upkeep wil be much, much lower on a viper. I want to add the Roe SC. I am specifically in the market for a 97, 99 Viper. It will have the Roe SC. But I have a sinking feeling I will still hear that voice saying :It's not a Ferrari" even though a Viper will smoke a 92 Testarossa hands down. I'm not too concerned with top speed. It is more the overall car owning experience. I know I'm begging for a flame war posting about F-Cars on a Viper site. And I can't afford to buy both. So help me guys. It seems the Viper is the sound economical/reliability choice...but will it be enough...

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After renting one for a month, I'm sure you have experienced that the viper is a pretty "exotic" car. You get lots of attention, great overall performance, etc... Some people just "like" Ferraris. I know I do. I would love to have several different models, but can't actually justify the almost $1/mi maint costs. If you plan to drive it 5K miles in 6-8 years, that would be pretty reasonable, but if you plan to drive it 5K/yr that's a different story (In my situation). My advise is I personally think the Testarossa is "old school", but that's entirely up to you. Could you afford a F355 Berlinetta ? That is a much more "drivable" current technology car w/lower maint.

Wish you well in your search, limited income and/or garage space is tough. I struggle with it daily. :rolleyes: Let us know what you get. ( What is your actual price range limit ? )

brap

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well since I am a Viper owner, I am obviously biased. But I love my '98. Not only is it fast, but it turns heads like crazy. I can't go anywhere without people approaching me to want to talk about it. In my opinion, the Viper is a better looking car as well, but once again, I'm obviously biased.

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love Ferrari's but.......If you think Viper tax is bad get a Ferrari and pay the Maintenance cost of one of them things. Iv'e heard brake replacement (pads & rotors etc) on an Enzo is $36K. If you have a unlimited budget, get the Ferrari because your going to need it to keep it running. :eek:

OP
OP
T

theitdude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you've already decided that you want a Ferrari. Why waste time?

I have not decided. There's a lot to consider. One car can do an oil change at Jiffy Lube(not that I ever would) the other is $400 bucks for an oil change. A conservative estimate is $1 a mile to drive a Ferrari. It usually runs closer to $2 a mile on older models.
Also I have no interest in a 355. 348 and 355's just don't do it for me. No V8 F-Cars. If I didn't do a Testarossa, the it would be a 512BB, carbed engine.
What I like about the 512 series and the Viper are thet they are BIG cars. I'm old school I guess.
I was looking for valid points. I verified insurance is 600, yes that's correct 600 dollars cheaper a month on a Viper. That alone may very well decide it. But I own a few other Mopars...and frankly all the recalls on my RAM and Durango are a little concerning. I know Viper has had a few as well.

It's not going to be a daily driver, or a tracked car. Just a Friday work, Sunday driver.
I know both Viper and ferrari owbers who wuold never own the other because of the experience of owning their present auto.
Viper is a much cheaper to own car. But does it excite like a Ferrari long term?

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you rented a GTS for a month and still have to ask then you need to get the little red car with the prancing horse.

Then after about 6 months you'll sell the ferrari for a loss and get the Viper.

bye bye now, have fun.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I verified insurance is 600, yes that's correct 600 dollars cheaper a month on a Viper.
I think you mean the Viper is $600 A YEAR cheaper than the Ferrari. No way is the ins on a Ferrari Test going to cost an extra $7k a year in insurance.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get the Ferrari because that is the car you really want. Buying cars like these is not about logic it is about emotion. If you get the Viper you will wish you bought the Rossa. I say go for what moves you, as that is more important than any stats.

With that said I got a ride in a 92 Rossa two years ago and I was so disappointed. It has always been one of my favorite cars, but after getting inside it turned me around. The interior looks down right embarrassing. Then we went for a ride and it is so slow that it is distracting. A car that looks that visually impactive but is so underpowered was such a turn off. Then we did some pulls on the way to a meet and my car stock was so much faster… But I think we already know about the stats. The whole experience completely turned me on that car and I have scratched it off my list.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want a garage queen buy the Ferrari if you want to drive briskly get the Viper. (just my 2 cents)

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of my only issues w/ an older Ferrari is the first thing you'll get asked (or people will ask themselves) is: Is it real or a kit car ? And the small, old school wheels are kind of ****. Dude, you can always buy the Horse and if you don't like it, sell it ( maybe make a few bucks, maybe loose a few ) and then buy the Viper if that's what you want.

Don't get caught up in this one purchase will define you the rest of your life. In a way, your only out the sales tax...

I'm surprised the insurance is that different, I always got very reasonable Ferrari quotes from my agent. I always liked the 512TB but I don't know the difference in what your looking at.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the Ferrari because that is the car you really want. Buying cars like these is not about logic it is about emotion. If you get the Viper you will wish you bought the Rossa. I say go for what moves you, as that is more important than any stats...

;)

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suggest you rent a Ferrari for a month.

Different cars can attract different types of owners. All of my friends drive Vipers...Some of them drive NSX's, Lotus and Pantera's. I know a couple guys with Ferrari's but none of them are that friendly...

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BlueGTS has a very good point. I forgot about how dated the interior is. Contact your local Ferrari Club, someone will be glad to let you look at theirs and go for a drive etc... They, like the VCA Members would also help you find the right one to purchase.

I drove several Vipers that I would not have bought at any price (so to speak). It's all about the entire experience like BlueGTS said. You have to like that car.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned both, and I've considered going back to Ferrari. Then I thought, why would I want a car that is BARELY a match for a 350Z and a tune up is north of $5K IF they don't find anything else wrong!

Dude, you must adjust your mind. Owning a Ferrari on a budget is not worth the headaches. Get a Viper and be happy!

Where do you rent a Viper, for a month? musta cost a fortune!

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar debate before I bought my 99 GTS. The biggest kicker for me was I would have had to buy an older V8 Ferrari (far less in performance) for what I could get the Viper. I frequent FoW (Ferrari of Washington) and have never seen a 512TR for less than $80K, regardless of mileage. You can get two Vipers for that. Maintenance costs for Ferrari's are really bad and they are much harder to work on. Plus, you think finding a good Viper tech is tough. Bottom line is if you can afford a Ferrari go for it but jump in with both feet. If money will be a little tight definitely get the Viper. In my case it was really a no brainer once I weighed everything, cost being the most important. BTW if you are near DC I might be able to hook you up with some test drives of Ferrari's. Just PM me and I'll see what I can do. I'm planning a cruise in August in Fredericksburg and hope to have a couple there. Hope that helps.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I don't think I could get any more attention with the Viper than with any other car except for the Ford GT or Carrera GT.

Since I have almost 40K miles on the Viper. It has a little wear and tear, scratches, blemishes etc, I finally feel like I actually can enjoy the car. My car has only been out of service for about 2 weeks when it went off to Woodhouse for the recall. It would have only been a couple of days, but this horrible snow storm hit. When one of my employees flew out to Omaha to pick up the car, because of the bad weather, the service manager himself drove the car to the airport to meet him. Can you imagine a Ferrari dealership doing that?

My cost of ownership (knock on wood) has been incredibly low.

When I took delivery of a '96 911TT when I asked the guy who brought the car how reliable he thought it would be, he replied that he doesn't tow many Porsches, but tows Ferrari's all the time.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I shared some of your same feelings, the Testarossa was always a dream of mine. My dream came crashing to the ground one day, when on an open track day there were two of them at Willow Springs when I brought my 96 GTS. To be honest, I was quiet intimidated by these wide, 12 cyl. Ferrari.

When the track went hot I was supprised to see how easily the Viper dominated them. They really performed poorly in comparison. The kicker was when we did some bench racing at lunchtime, and the Testarossa drivers mentioned how terrible they were to race. Evidently the cabin air pickup for these cars is down by the road, and they said breathing all that dust really make the car awful to drive on a track.

My dream was just a fantasy. The cars were not very good, and I have never been more proud of the way the Viper dominated that track day.

PS. Both Ferrari drivers were asking me questions about buying a Viper.

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned a Testarossa for a short time and am much happier with my GEN 1. Now if you were talking a 360 or a 430 I might change my mind. The Testarossa is a pain to drive in the city. Lots of blind spots and a door handle costs $963.00!
Just enjoy which ever one you get.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You have been very fortunate. In my meager 8 months of ownership of a used '98 (which I bought with only 9K on it) I have had to, so far, change all the ignition wires, the power steering pulley broke leaving me high and dry on the expressway two days after ownership, new tires, fix an oil leak from the timing chain cover that took forever to diagnose right, fix the drivers door hinge, AND.... completely replace the clutch as it was ruined by previous owner, AND...my entire tranny is being rebuilt as we speak because it too was ruined, God only knows how the brakes are and countless other small things. It has been a nightmare money pit. All of this out of pocket as no extended warranty was available. Do NOT dream of buying a used Viper without some warranty coverage. This is thousands and thousands of dollars. My car ***** and is draining me dry. I only wish I had it to do over again.

Be careful what you fall in love with. I fell in love with the looks of the GTS and sold a brand new Z06 to buy it. [******] me.

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have been very fortunate. In my meager 8 months of ownership of a used '98 (which I bought with only 9K on it) I have had to, so far, change all the ignition wires, the power steering pulley broke leaving me high and dry on the expressway two days after ownership, new tires, fix an oil leak from the timing chain cover that took forever to diagnose right, fix the drivers door hinge, AND.... completely replace the clutch as it was ruined by previous owner, AND...my entire tranny is being rebuilt as we speak because it too was ruined, God only knows how the brakes are and countless other small things. It has been a nightmare money pit. All of this out of pocket as no extended warranty was available. Do NOT dream of buying a used Viper without some warranty coverage. This is thousands and thousands of dollars. My car ***** and is draining me dry. I only wish I had it to do over again.

Be careful what you fall in love with. I fell in love with the looks of the GTS and sold a brand new Z06 to buy it. [******] me.

[/QUOTE]
You cant blame the car for what the previous owner did.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just commenting on my "low cost of ownership". Chuck Tator wasn't sure if it was just mechanical failure or previous owner abuse on the clutch and tranny. I was taking the positive side, as I hope Dodge didn't put my lemon together this badly.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright I'm sure this isn't the first time this has come up. Please go easy on me. I am on the fence big time trying to decide on a GenII Snake car or a Ferrari Testarossa. I would like some feedback on the pros and cons of going Viper or Ferrari. I rented a 2002 Viper for a month and am familiar with it's handling/performance. I know cost of upkeep wil be much, much lower on a viper. I want to add the Roe SC. I am specifically in the market for a 97, 99 Viper. It will have the Roe SC. But I have a sinking feeling I will still hear that voice saying :It's not a Ferrari" even though a Viper will smoke a 92 Testarossa hands down. I'm not too concerned with top speed. It is more the overall car owning experience. I know I'm begging for a flame war posting about F-Cars on a Viper site. And I can't afford to buy both. So help me guys. It seems the Viper is the sound economical/reliability choice...but will it be enough...

Viper in that group.

EVERYONE on here knows how big of a Ferrari fan I am but the Testarossa is a bit dated. It is a great car but for the power and comfort I would say the Viper. Both are not luxury cruisers! If you had to choose a Ferrari, I would recommend a early 550 since it is close in power to the Viper and has that same pull. Downside is that it does not turn heads. Personally I do not care about that I just love the car itself and that is not why I would buy one but that is just me. The 550 is my next car and of course I am going to talk highly about it but it really is great. Good luck with your choice!! If you have any more Ferrari questions, let me know.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Unfortunately it sounds like you've had some bad luck with your car. I don't think this is the norm. It's certainly part of the gamble you take with purchasing any used vehicle, whether it be a Viper or a Ferrari. Milage alone can be misleading. Service, maintenance, and care are what keep a car going. My '96 RT/10 has been trouble free. The only thing I used the warranty for was the side sill rivet issue. Dodge got me new side sills and had them painted in a week. As for my out of pocket, it's just been regular fluid and filter changes and a set of tires. It's actually one of the most trouble-frre vehicles I've owned.

As for the original post, definitely get what makes you happy. Otherwise, there's a good chance the novelty may wear off and you'll regret your purchase in the long run.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rational buy = GTS
Emotional buy = Testarossa

You can go fast and look cool in the Testarossa or go faster and look equally cool in the GTS.

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like you've already decided that you want a Ferrari. Why waste time?

I verified insurance is 600, yes that's correct 600 dollars cheaper a month on a Viper. That alone may very well decide it. But I own a few other Mopars...and frankly all the recalls on my RAM and Durango are a little concerning. I know Viper has had a few as well.

I hope you mean $600 a year or every six months???? I only pay a little over $700 for a full year of insurance, with full coverage on my snake (and that's with two speeding tickets!).

I was a little the same boat as you, but a few evenings of research and seeing the massive maint costs for a Ferrari, and the fact that most of the work had to be done by a Ferrari mech pretty much made up my mind. I can do a lot of the maint myself on the Viper (something I enjoy, each to their own I guess).

Also a lot (not all I know) of Ferrari owners tend to be snobs/a$$holes. I like car people, not peni$ envy people.

Cal

MatchboxMadeMyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
with all the stuff above taken into account isn't it also going to be cheaper to make mods to a viper than it would on a ferrari ? i'd imagine it would be a crapload more to twin turbo a ferrari than to single turbo a Viper

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang