Viper Owner Invitational # 10

Jax419

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard throught the years that VOI will never be held in Chicago, specifically at the Nascar track in Joliet(chicagoland), because there are not enough hotels and other ammenities nearby to support a large group for 3 or 4 days. That is what I heard.
I vote for Detroit.

Not enough hotels in Chicago? You on crack? Its the 3rd biggest city in the U.S and the 2nd most number of conventions in the U.S are held in Chicago.

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yo Rick, If it's in Detroit we need to Caravan with that street Serpent of yours!

The NJ crew will give you a Saprannos style ****** for protection my friend!:2tu:

Last edited:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Cruising the Florida Keys ..... now that could be OK.

Spent three years living in Detroit. Did some one mention crime? There are just too many areas where Vipers and Viper owners should not go in Detroit.

Most cities either don't have the weather, the race / track facilities near the hotels or infrastructure to host a group of our size.

Vegas baby!

Dan :headbang:

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Dan, with all due respect - screw you. Its great to see that as a president you're willing to support only something on the left side of the country. Never mind all of the people that shipped their vipers or drove from the east coast or the midwest to attend VOI9. Hate to say it - but you WILL NOT be missed in Detroit.:nono:

Cruising the Florida Keys ..... now that could be OK.

Spent three years living in Detroit. Did some one mention crime? There are just too many areas where Vipers and Viper owners should not go in Detroit.

Most cities either don't have the weather, the race / track facilities near the hotels or infrastructure to host a group of our size.

Vegas baby!

Dan :headbang:

OP
OP
Y

YELLOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Rocket
Don't hold it in let it out ! It is nice to have a little diversity. How is the Street Serpent # 3 coming.
Hi Bobby
You are to much, you know I'm there.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am with Rocket on this one..... us midwest members deserve a location in our region just as much as each coast does. I also agree with an earlier reply, that we should not forget the Canadian contingent either. They got a long way to go if it is Vegas again. Just my 2 cents worth...

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy Mackeral ! how can you say Texas is central.I would think Detroit is more central fom all points, are we forgeting our Canadian folks. My vote would be Detroit or wouldn't mind Daytona either. I know one thing I'm going no matter where it's. I hate to be the one to say it, I wouldn't be surprise if this were the last one. :dunno:

Holy Mackerel! Have you ever looked at a map of the US? Here's one:

www.50states.com/images/us_map.gif

Texas looks pretty central (east versus west) to me! And if your complaint about Texas is being in the south, well look at your own suggestion of Daytona!

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats appropriate, coming from a guy in CENTERVILLE !

I have been to all 9 VOIs. The magic of # 1 in Detroit can likely never be repeated. Of the 240 Gen 1 RT10s there, only 10-12 were modified ! The smaller, more intimate event was truly a highlight of ownership. When Bob Lutz dropped by our snake-pit parking lot, (via his own helicopter) it was as if **** Jagger had just arrived.

I just hope the VCA can convince Cerberus to part with their investors money for a VOI. They dont "know" us like the old regimes did. We may have to re-prove our 'worth' to the bean-counters. A VOI in Detroit would cost Cerberus less $$.

I remember the helicopter JonB. The lot had a lot of grit, or gravel, on it and his copter whipped up a sandstorm which didn't make us too happy. Bob sent his personal secretary out to apologize to us. Ah, the memories! And as I recall, your passion then was as great as it is now.

I've been to all 9 as well and would go to most any length to attend #10 no matter where it's at.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I vote for Vegas only if the events are held at the ******* mansion! :)

OP
OP
Y

YELLOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy Mackerel! Have you ever looked at a map of the US? Here's one:

www.50states.com/images/us_map.gif

Texas looks pretty central (east versus west) to me! And if your complaint about Texas is being in the south, well look at your own suggestion of Daytona!

I guess Texas is considered central, I'll let you convince that one to the Canadian Club.We had VOI 8 in Texas. How about Ontario Canada thats central. I've been to a few Canadian events, and wouldn't have anything bad to say about it, nice tracks.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATVETS
I have heard throught the years that VOI will never be held in Chicago, specifically at the Nascar track in Joliet(chicagoland), because there are not enough hotels and other ammenities nearby to support a large group for 3 or 4 days. That is what I heard.
I vote for Detroit.

Not enough hotels in Chicago? You on crack? Its the 3rd biggest city in the U.S and the 2nd most number of conventions in the U.S are held in Chicago.

Hey Einstein, have you even been to Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet? Take out a map then tell me what you think. Chicagoland Speedway IS NOT in Chicago as the name implies. 1/2 hour to 45 minute drive to downtown where, you got it....the Hotels are! Most Viper owners do not want to drive that far twice a day, everyday to attend events, they want closeness.
Thanx for schooling me on how big Chicago is though, I had no idea!!

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATVETS
I vote for Detroit.

Hey Einstein, have you even been to Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet? Take out a map then tell me what you think. Chicagoland Speedway IS NOT in Chicago as the name implies. 1/2 hour to 45 minute drive to downtown where, you got it....the Hotels are! Most Viper owners do not want to drive that far twice a day, everyday to attend events, they want closeness.
Thanx for schooling me on how big Chicago is though, I had no idea!!

Sorry to butt in on an interesting aurgument, but the hotels I believe the first person is talking about are between Chicago and Joliet along I55. There are hotels, hotels and more hotels along I55 between Joliet and Chicago near Bolingbrook, Plainfield, etc., etc., etc... I drive from Peoria to Chicago all the time and there are enough hotels to handle 10 Viper Clubs. Would someone who lives in or near Chicago jump in on this? I am not looking for an argument, just stating what I see on every trip. I like the idea of St. Louis as it is a big enough city with plenty to do and is easy to drive around in and there are plenty of hotels in the downtown area and on either side of the river. Just an idea... :)

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to butt in on an interesting aurgument, but the hotels I believe the first person is talking about are between Chicago and Joliet along I55. There are hotels, hotels and more hotels along I55 between Joliet and Chicago near Bolingbrook, Plainfield, etc., etc., etc... I drive from Peoria to Chicago all the time and there are enough hotels to handle 10 Viper Clubs. Would someone who lives in or near Chicago jump in on this? I am not looking for an argument, just stating what I see on every trip. I like the idea of St. Louis as it is a big enough city with plenty to do and is easy to drive around in and there are plenty of hotels in the downtown area and on either side of the river. Just an idea... :)

Just to clarify, historically the plan has always been to have all the folks that attend stay in one hotel, logistically it is the only way to go (meetings, meals, transportation etc). That is one of the reasons that Pocono has not been considered as well, although there are plenty of hotels, none are big enough to handle the Club by themselves:(

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Detroit? Huh. Good for the Autoshow and the upcoming dream weekend...but, for a V.O.I.?

Even N.Y. would be a better place...Chuck, you had 137 in 2004, how about 650 Vipers on your property?

:D

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It has to be a place that has a track, but a track is a track. What counts is what else is there to do there to make it fun for 3 days. Vegas was awesome, but it can't be there every year -- not good for brand development in the east.

Chicago? I grew up there, yuck. The place is too spead out to find anything fun outside of downtown, and downtown would be one giant traffic jam.

Detroit? Much as I want to go, I might just skip that place -- maybe the worst roads in the country (aside from the crime issue). I would actually prefer nearby Cleveland over Detroit. I think they even have a track by the lake.

How about Louisville? Don't know if there's a track nearby, but there's a certain cool horse racing track there. And Indy might be cool too -- the heart of American auto racing. Even going back to Nashville would be better than Chicago or Detroit.

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd rather the event be held in the US. What about Reno Neveada? Lots of hotels, night life, and great scenic roads to drive on all around including around Lake Tahoe and 395.
:usa::2tu:
Flash

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd rather the event be held in the US. What about Reno Neveada? Lots of hotels, night life, and great scenic roads to drive on all around including around Lake Tahoe and 395.
:usa::2tu:
Flash

Better yet, how about Alaska? ... even farther away ;)

... if we went to Louisville, KY we could all drive over to the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, and have 300+ Vipers each do stop & go burnouts in front of the plant :D

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>and have 300+ Vipers each do stop & go burnouts in front of the plant
grin.gif
<<<

This would fit perfect in the "Tom Sidlik Corvette bashing scheme" !

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Charlotte (Lowes) Motor Speedway in the beautiful state of North Carolina. This area can support 170,000 visitors at any given time. Plenty of hotels and places to eat. AND ADD TO THE MENU, a brand new NHRA drag strip across the street from the main track! The weather is great, the roads are smooth and plentiful and organized cruises to the mountains and beaches would be awesome. What could be better?

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to clarify, historically the plan has always been to have all the folks that attend stay in one hotel, logistically it is the only way to go (meetings, meals, transportation etc). That is one of the reasons that Pocono has not been considered as well, although there are plenty of hotels, none are big enough to handle the Club by themselves:(

Makes sense. Most others are mentioning places with "plenty of hotels", but they probably do not meet your criteria of one hotel that is big enough for all. I still like St. Louis... isn't there anyone out there in the club that could comment on St. Louis and it's potential? There are some very large hotels (downtown & near the airport) and it is one of the most central locations. There is also a lot to do during any downtime. Just something to consider...:)

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think for those of us that went to the Belle Isle Grand Prix, the thought of Detroit changes immensely. The race was one of the best run events I have ever been too, and VCA and SRT treated owners like Kings. The car corral was packed with Vipers and it was fun to see all the spectators over checking out the Snakes and bypassing the Vettes, Furr-r-eees, Outeez, Porches, etc.

Plenty of stuff to do, and with all the stuff that could be done at the Home Office, there would be a good time had by all. With new owners, I would reiterate an earlier comment that it would be the least expensive for Cerberus and we could show them what a great bunch we all are!!

If Detroit is out, I will still go with my old favorite............Salt Lake City. Two sister Hotels , together in the Downtown area, that are across the street from each other -------they can accomodate us. Cruises up to Park City and in the Rockies ---- heck we would take over that town and others. We would be " THE CONVENTION" in town, not one of many, and we would be able to hang and socialize more in a smaller area.

The race track at Miller Motorsport Park is arguably the best in the Nation, and with two seperate tracks it is also deemed one of the safest in the World --- the designer actually designed the course with Vipers in mind ( his exact words ). There is an NHRA dragstrip in the area, as well as Bonneville down the road. Remember the Winter Olympics were held there, so those that think you can't party there, think again ..........it is not difficult at all.

Detroit first, and Salt Lake City second, either way let's all wish for VOI 10 to happen soon!:headbang: