Viper-Spec PS2s???

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote from the SRT Engineers yesterday:

"As you have learned with the Viper specific PS2 versus the regular PS2, just because two tires have the same model name and tread pattern, they are not necessarily the same. A non-Viper spec PS2 is a much more pedestrian supercar tire than the Viper spec units."

Who sells Viper-specific PS2s and how do I know if I have them or not? I had never heard of this until the SRT Engineering Chat on June 21. Don't tell me I have to go to a Dodge dealer and buy tires at some absurd up-charge to get "Viper spec" tires. :crazy2:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"As you have learned with the Viper specific PS2 versus the regular PS2, just because two tires have the same model name and tread pattern, they are not necessarily the same. A non-Viper spec PS2 is a much more pedestrian supercar tire than the Viper spec units."

Who sells Viper-specific PS2s and how do I know if I have them or not? I had never heard of this until the SRT Engineering Chat on June 21. Don't tell me I have to go to a Dodge dealer and buy tires at some absurd up-charge to get "Viper spec" tires. :crazy2:

VPA has the Viper specific ones if i'm not mistaken.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What exactly is the difference? I would hate to have a pedestrian super car tire when a non-pedestrian alternative is available!

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Buy them from JonB or Tire Rack. The viper specific michelins have a "C1" designation which is stamped on the sidewall.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The nomenclature of the "Viper Spec" tire from Michelin, as well as the build spec has varied over time.

The Gen 2 and Gen 4 are called "C-1" which is a simple, internal acronym that relates to the Construction (some say compound, not true) On your Gen 4 Non ACR PS2 sidewall, there will be a small 1.5" box with C1 inside it. This means you have an OE-Spec tire.

It is NO LONGER POSSIBLE to buy the Gen -2 or Gen -1 Viper Spec Tires.... but DO drive the car anyway? "Spec" tires evolve from an elaborate engineering computation to get the PERFECT match of performance and traction for the weight, suspension, and aero of the design specs of the car. Extensive testing and collaboration was done with Team Viper an Michelin, since 1990.....For proprietary reasons, neither Dodge nor Michelin has revealed all the details of C1.

On your Gen 4 Non ACR, there will be a small 1.5" box with C1 inside it. This means you have an OE-Spec tire.

If you DONT HAVE or CANNOT BUY SPEC TIRES.... Please CEASE DRVING IT....Please forward me your keys and title immediately for dismantling. Thank You.

PS The 1991 and 1996 Pace Cars rode on GOODYEARS!

Last edited:

Ginja

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you DONT HAVE or CANNOT BUY SPEC TIRES.... Please CEASE DRVING IT....Please forward me your keys and title immediately for dismantling. Thank You.

LOL! - I'm more than happy to provide the same service here in the UK!

OP
OP
S

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys-- I checked my tires and they do have the "C1" on them. Whew!, I was feeling a bit "pedestrian" for a while. Then I got run over in a crosswalk by a 345/35ZR-19 Viper-spec. All is good, despite the treadmarks.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You may find it surprising that the Viper Spec tires have LESS tread-depth than the non-Viper-spec of the same size.

Why? Tread = squirm = less traction and more heat under side loads. And more weight, too. So the BENZ gets more tread, longer life.....the Viper has higher cornering limits that Kuno Wittmer or Ralph Gilles or Tommy Archer would notice......but not most owners including me.

Another note: If you want to run ACR-sized front 295 PS2s, [and many do that track faster] you wont have a PS-2 "spec" on the front, but it will outperform the 275-spec front. Thassa Fact...

OP
OP
S

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This reminds me of the old line: "stock tires, shaved to half tread depth for racing". Hopefully there are more differences in the construction than just tread depth for the Viper-spec PS2. Otherwise, I'd gladly take the standard non-Viper rears and "run 'em down" a little with some less-than-conservative applications of throttle, and maybe a few trips down Infineon's quarter mile to benchmark the Viper's straight-line numbers in it's present state. Extra rubber to throw away is certainly a plus for me, at least on the rear, even with the added unsprung weight. At $900 per pair, the bleach box isn't as attractive as it used to be with my old muscle cars running $200/pair rears.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This reminds me of the old line: "stock tires, shaved to half tread depth for racing". Hopefully there are more differences in the construction than just tread depth for the Viper-spec PS2. Otherwise, I'd gladly take the standard non-Viper rears and "run 'em down" a little with some less-than-conservative applications of throttle, and maybe a few trips down Infineon's quarter mile to benchmark the Viper's straight-line numbers in it's present state. Extra rubber to throw away is certainly a plus for me, at least on the rear, even with the added unsprung weight. At $900 per pair, the bleach box isn't as attractive as it used to be with my old muscle cars running $200/pair rears.

You must be my age, old-timer!

When the PS-2s debuted, there were no "Viper Spec" tires for about 5 mos. I ran them, DELIGHTED to be rid of my run-craps...
For 80% of owners, I suspect the LESS COSTLY Benz tire of the same size, with MORE tread, would be just fine. A bonus is longer life.
This might be sacrilige to the esteemed tire-engineer at SRT...... but when the SPEC tires are gone, we will be forced to drive acceptible alternatives like Gen 1-2 owners must do now.....

And NO ONE could likely convince me back into the Gen 3 "viper spec" runflats....maybe if they were stickered-new and Super-cheap.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Have to give props to Luke Pavlik , another Club Sponsor ( Tire Rack ), who brought these specifics to everyone's attention many years ago with the Gen IIs. It was a surprise to many , but a great benefit to those of us running Viper Days, as we had the correct tires to run on at the track.

Alot of the Vendors on this site keep up with what appear to be mundane subjects to some, but they can make an important difference in how your car performs .

Great thread and I am sure many owners, especially new, were surprised to find out this information?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Michelin Engineers sponsored and attended VOIs 1-10...and most Viper Days "Michelin Challenge" events from July 1995.

Skip Thomas' program was the source for most of my historic infos, dating from that era.......participants will remember the Michelin Tech talks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte