Viper SRT-Coupe Production Changes

AlbertFattal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's official. This is what the next coupe NEEDS to have to keep my heart.

First, styling cue's taken from the Competiton Coupe that sould stay on the production Viper SRT-10 Coupe:

You must be registered for see images

Last, styling cues taken from the 2000 Viper GTS-R Concept that should stay on the production Coupe:

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, make it look like the 2000 GTS-R Concept, remove the wing. Leave the roof-scoop away. Also add the refuelling units, the wipers, and the rear vents as Albert mentioned them. Put a smaller diffusor on it and bump. There it is. The super-seller.

I still can't understand why they put so much effort in designing a new Viper that looks like a Z28 'Maro from the back, when they got the most wonderful coupé ever designed in their garages... Doesn't get into my head.

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's what makes an exotic sports car. I know they can do it, but will they? If they do, then I'll sell everything I've got to get one. But if they don't give us a car like the GTS-R, then I'll not be buying one (or 2 or 3). Ever since I saw that car I've wanted one, just like the first Gen. I cars. If they don't build it, then I don't know why they tease us with these concepts(GTS-R). I hope that the car at Dallas is not even close to the final production car, because if it's not anything like the above then I'll pass. DC, I hope your listening. JUST BUILD WHAT YOU ALLREADY HAVE AND IT'LL BE ANOTHER HOME-RUN. UP THE STICKER PRICE AND WE'LL BUY THEM. GIVE US ANOTHER EXOTIC CAR LIKE THE GTS-R AND WE'LL KEEP COMING FOR MORE. PLEASE. :2tu:

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great job in breaking down the specific design details and combining the best elements of the 2000 GTS-R "VGX" Concept and the Competition Coupe...
The new coupe should borrow heavily from VGX and CC, particularly in the overall greenhouse shape and in many of the small (but significant) design details as you have outlined. I like some of the exotic concept car touches and would like to see them make it through to the production coupe.

Again, Great job, I like this analysis.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a side note. The next coupe should play heavily in D-C's racing heritage building. The production car should have those "race" details that will be helpful at Lemans etc.
30 years from now Chrysler will be able to reference back to this car, in a similar way that ford is reserecting their GT40.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great work - and I agree. The CC coupe is a far cry ahead of the concept coupe in looks. By adding more curve like the Gen 2 GTS in the side and rear vents it'd be awesome.

The only part I never liked about the Gen 3 is the ridge along the top and especially as it passes the rear roof pillar in the CC. I'd round off the entire ridge and erase it, and that would make the rear fenders looke mroe flared and blend into the rear roof pillar - without that ugly "Marcos" looking round lipped rear fendor look.... fat and curvy is good, sudden edges don't look right there.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the best thread on the SRT Forum at present. I hope DC is reading this one. Last week I had actually asked Joe Houss for Dan Knott's email address. I was going to thank Dodge and him for a great VIO8 and request that the Dodge SRT design team make more aggressive changes on the street concept coupe(especially hood and fenders) prior to production. As one of my friends(Vince) mentioned at the tech session at VOI8 on the future(generation 4) cars...the "WOW" factor in looks needs to be brought back.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep an updated GTS is what is needed.Leave the body alone.Improve brakes and handling.Go back to an improved head cam gen 2 engine.Leave that cheap srt motor in the truck. Bruce

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I never heard of a "stain" finish on aluminum? I have only heard the word "stain" used to describe wood surfaces. "Satin" is a word used to decribe metal finishes, such as a "Satin #4 brushed" finish.

Nice piece overall, well done, very expressive and clear.

I always felt the rear end of the Comp Coupe looked disproportionately long, but if they get rid of those "single most hated" fins, the rear end wouldn't look so long from the side.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice for the most part. I disagree with the following:-

1. Widening up the front end would increase frontal area and drag and lower top end.
2. The bigger hood scoop does not look better than the smaller one in your photos. I prefer the smaller one.

Great job overall. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great job -- are you listening DC?

I agree with the comment that not having the side gills and the rear relate is one of the most criticized aspects of the VOI Concept Coupe.

OP
OP
A

AlbertFattal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never had so much emotional passion towards a car as I did looking at this very exact photo directly from DaimlerChrysler's website: http://wwwsg.daimlerchrysler.com/GMS/CONTENT/IMAGES/CHR2000101233838.jpg

Am I the only one crying my heart out to see this very model go into production? That picture brings so many words to my mouth, you cannot even begin to explain the figment of existence it has. That picture alone screams life. That picture is the true Viper. I have never felt so strong about a car, not even when I first saw a Viper - This is the one to build.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice for the most part. I disagree with the following:-

1. Widening up the front end would increase frontal area and drag and lower top end.
2. The bigger hood scoop does not look better than the smaller one in your photos. I prefer the smaller one.

Great job overall. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

I disagree with this. The key to the comp coupe's aggressiveness is the wider fenders. Plus the wider front end will increase the track and therefore handling. How can you explain why the comp coupe uses it instead of the SRT-10 front end? I'm sure the engineers cared a bit about top end with the comp coupe.

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let's keep this going so somebody will see it from DC. Albert, if you post it on GEN I/II also, it'll maybe get some more attention.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never had so much emotional passion towards a car as I did looking at this very exact photo directly from DaimlerChrysler's website: http://wwwsg.daimlerchrysler.com/GMS/CONTENT/IMAGES/CHR2000101233838.jpg

Am I the only one crying my heart out to see this very model go into production? That picture brings so many words to my mouth, you cannot even begin to explain the figment of existence it has. That picture alone screams life. That picture is the true Viper. I have never felt so strong about a car, not even when I first saw a Viper - This is the one to build.

I keep the copy of Automobile Feb 2000 on my bookshelf at work which has the front shot of the GTSR Concept on the front cover. It was the day that I picked up that mag that I knew I had to have a Viper. That pic still gives me the chills when I look at it.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the feeling the new coupe has to inspire, no matter what the final design look like. It's no good if we have to explain what it is.

OP
OP
A

AlbertFattal

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I keep the copy of Automobile Feb 2000 on my bookshelf at work which has the front shot of the GTSR Concept on the front cover. It was the day that I picked up that mag that I knew I had to have a Viper. That pic still gives me the chills when I look at it.

Here is the original photo - just look at the perfect details: http://wwwsg.daimlerchrysler.com/GMS/CONTENT/IMAGES/CHR2000101233857.jpg

sammy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes you wonder why the srt looks like it does when they could have had the lines of the concept. Is'nt that why the first gen was such a big hit?

OP
OP
A

AlbertFattal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to also add this, one of the features I was saddend left the Viper: