Viper Tech in Austin Texas

Phil Lee 94 red RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had the head gaskets replaced on my Gen I by Chris Pharr of Atomic 4X4 & Perormance. Chris has been working on Vipers since 1995. The service was great.
Chris has a very high standard of quality. I watched him for hours, paying attention to every detail. His rates are more than fair, and I feel he didn't charge me enough for all the work he did. It's nice to know that there's someone that can service your ride that loves Vipers as much as you do. Thanks Chris for getting me going again.
Any Viper owners in the Austin area should give Chris a call if you need any work done. His number is 512-215-1720 or 512 310-5875. :2tu:

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I will have to second that one. Chris was trained by the best (you know who you are) and is only 12 minutes away from my house in Round Rock, Tx. I as well watched as he
1. Replaced my entire exhaust system
2. Changed my oil and clutch fluid
3. Stopped a slow dipstick tube oil leak
4. Replaced my u-joint loops
5. Did a full check on the car to see if anything looked out of place

All the above with no grease marks, fingerprints or any sign of dis-repsect to the car...now that is rare!

Chris is convenient, fast and his prices enable me to still be able to afford to keep it on the road.

I feel a tech session coming on...

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David Weaver at has always exceeded my expectations.
He is located right off of I35 at American Racing Technologies owned by Cody Whitehead in Buda, TX...great location for us South Austin guys!

I haven't used Chris but it is great to have a well recommended alternative in Austin. Thanks for the info!

nicholas8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody have any recent recommendations for a Viper Tech in the North Austin/Round Rock/Georgetown area?
Took my car to a dealership saying they can work on it only to call me back to saying they changed the oil but couldn't do anything else. I am hesitant to take it to another dealership without a tech working there.
Thank you!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for digging this up. I'm looking for one around ATX too. I'm guessing that Chris isn't around anymore?

nicholas8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for digging this up. I'm looking for one around ATX too. I'm guessing that Chris isn't around anymore?
I called both the numbers listed above from 2007 just to see if by chance still his number. 1 number was disconnect and the other was generic voicemail and didn't leave a message.

Calvo Motorsports. They are more into Gen 4-5. Depends on what you're needing done.

Thank you! I will contact them and see if they will do service or just performance upgrades. Hard to tell by their website.

I will report back when I find somebody.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried them. They don't roll out of bed for anything under $10k. They only do big jobs.

nicholas8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the heads up about Calvo.

I called a shop that specializes in classic cars but said he can work on the Viper and will do service work. Change fluids, new rotors and brakes, etc... Not a Viper Tech but he seemed very knowledgeabIe. I will keep you posted if I decide to use him.

Mac Haik in Georgetown said they don't have a Viper Tech but again somebody there that can work on them. The service manager I talked to said he has a Viper and this particular guy at Mac Haik does the work on his.

We'll see. As nice it as it would be to have a Viper Tech it looks like that might not be an option here locally.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is just a Dodge, with all systems designed, engineered, manufactured, installed and serviced just like any other Dodge vehicle. The Gen 1 and Gen 2 cars were all, literally, as easy to figure out as a base model stripper RAM pickup.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is just a Dodge, with all systems designed, engineered, manufactured, installed and serviced just like any other Dodge vehicle. The Gen 1 and Gen 2 cars were all, literally, as easy to figure out as a base model stripper RAM pickup.
Yes and No. Sure it's an ICE car just like everything else out there but Vipers are basically hand built low volume craft cars. So there are many systems unique to Vipers such as engine controllers, body packaging, not to mention 2 more cylinders. How many other cars have an 8+ liter V10? That's another whole can of issues.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The engine uses Chrysler family architecture on the ECM. The V-10 is a V-8 with 2 more cylinders hung on one end. It's a double-wishbone suspension at both ends, which is the same configuration as the Challenger and Charger. They are nothing to be afraid of, but you would do well to own a service manual or CD set for it. I know more about my car than even the Viper Techs did at my dealer.

nicholas8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was my initial thought too... it is just a dodge.

But after the getting told from the dealerships they won't do basic service requests, it had me questioning.

But I agree, I am sure it is not difficult to work on it and I could figure it out on my own, it would just be nice to be able to take it to someone that I know will do a good job and it won't be their first time working on one.

There are certain things I enjoy working on and will do myself, but other things would rather have someone else take care of.

And perhaps your point is don't be scared to find somebody that is not a Viper Tech to work on it.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The engine uses Chrysler family architecture on the ECM. The V-10 is a V-8 with 2 more cylinders hung on one end. It's a double-wishbone suspension at both ends, which is the same configuration as the Challenger and Charger. They are nothing to be afraid of, but you would do well to own a service manual or CD set for it. I know more about my car than even the Viper Techs did at my dealer.
Chrysler engineers would have stroke if they read this. lol

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was my initial thought too... it is just a dodge.

But after the getting told from the dealerships they won't do basic service requests, it had me questioning.

But I agree, I am sure it is not difficult to work on it and I could figure it out on my own, it would just be nice to be able to take it to someone that I know will do a good job and it won't be their first time working on one.

There are certain things I enjoy working on and will do myself, but other things would rather have someone else take care of.

And perhaps your point is don't be scared to find somebody that is not a Viper Tech to work on it.
I have the same mentality. I've had to do most of the work myself but some times you just wish there was somebody you can trust to do the job.

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depending on what you want done, taking it to Tomball Dodge / Viper Exchange and their Viper Tech Morgan may be a good option for you.