Viper the Most Collectible Car

Was your decision to own a Viper influenced because it could be a collector car?

• Yes

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 85 73.3%

• Total voters

russellesq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yahoo News recently reported the five most collectible cars for the future and listed the Viper first. :2tu: I think this is something that we already knew. Happy to see that those in the auto industry agree. A copy of the article is attached.

Attachments

• 11-01-02 Future's Most Collectible Cars.pdf
    26.3 KB · Views: 139

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Early RT-10, some GTS's, and maybe some ACR's, but that is about it. Others may be collectible, but that doesn't mean they will be worth much.

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed - they really have only dropped in value. Some of the other cars listed on that list have not only held value, but have increased dramatically as well...like the F40 and the Enzo. They also list the ZR1 as a collectible, which may well be, but IMO, will also drop in value as well.

The FGT has held value -- I have one on the way to me now.

viper03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I refinanced my 2003 at a lower interest rate and the bank loan officer said the average retail on my viper is almost the same as what I paid for it 4 years ago.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figured long ago that the Viper would always be more collectible 30 years from now when no car won't have some sort of "road control module" that will limit your ability to actually drive your vehicle and most will be on "auto driver mode". I figure this will happen in the name of safety and incrementally as drivers get less and less skilled. Then people with money will yearn for a car without controls and the early Vipers 1992-2008 will be the sports cars sought out. I figure they'll make the Viper carry a transponder to ensure other "Auto piloted vehicles" know the location of the "old car" amongst them, and Corvettes will have much tighter integration because of the ability to control them via "stability control programming" interfaces.

I may be reading way too far into the future, but I never plan on selling my Viper....other cars go first!

Regards,
Aaron

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once the President of the financial institution finds out the officer is writing loans and valueing your vehicle the same as it was 4 years ago, they will be out of a job. Take the loan and run!

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just once I would like a collectable car. I have lost money on every Viper (7) I bought. (some a lot of $$)

Would still do it over because I did not buy them for an investment

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Vipers will become more collectible,but it's going to take a couple decades. Who knows what things will occur in the future though? If we don't get the ultra liberals out of power we won't even be able to drive our cars! So,best enjoy our fun cars now and just hope the future works out for the better, and we won't all be driving big electric go-karts. Big Green ones! :omg:

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I figure they'll make the Viper carry a transponder to ensure other "Auto piloted vehicles" know the location of the "old car" amongst them, and Corvettes will have much tighter integration because of the ability to control them via "stability control programming" interfaces.

I may be reading way too far into the future, but I never plan on selling my Viper....other cars go first!

Regards,
Aaron

I have the feeling Vipers will have to be transported to a track by green machines if wanted to drive them occasionally;). The green movement spreads like cancer ,and it doesn't look good for us gearheads .:eater: There will be a gazillion garage and trailer queens .

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didn't buy the Viper because it was a future collectible so much as it's as close to an American exotic (outside of the Ford GT) as we could have. Big cubes, big power, and no apologies approach. It doesn't get any better.

Whether the value skyrockets or drops like a stone - this is a rare breed of car in today's day and age and you will have to pry my cold dead ass out of it before I will be parted from it.

Raisin Man

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yahoo News recently reported the five most collectible cars for the future and listed the Viper first. :2tu: I think this is something that we already knew. Happy to see that those in the auto industry agree. A copy of the article is attached.

Notwithstanding the events at VOI 11, can't help but think enthusiasm for current car is a result of some being less-than-convinced next GEN Viper will be as good as advertised...

jman2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my viper cause i have respect for it being what it is! :headbang:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like every generation thinks two things are unique to them... they invented sex and the world will end while they are alive. :D

OP
OP
R

russellesq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agreed - they really have only dropped in value. Some of the other cars listed on that list have not only held value, but have increased dramatically as well...like the F40 and the Enzo. They also list the ZR1 as a collectible, which may well be, but IMO, will also drop in value as well.

The FGT has held value -- I have one on the way to me now.

We might be talking apples and oranges here. The article stated nothing about value or investment, rather only what it deemed to be collectible and perhaps in high demand in the future.

Now on to the topic of value, I think if you only do the math, that being not a significant amount of Vipers being made (supply) compared to a possible collector status in the future (demand), means a possible increase in price.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think in many ways, you just have to look back at history a bit to determine if true. Look at the 60's muscle car era and the values of those cars today...

My family always had corvettes when I was growing up (ironically up until I could drive). I remember '58, '62', '63 split-window. Funny part about all of them was none of them were considered collector cars in the 70's or any of the other 60's muscle cars. It was not until the mid 80's that their values started to rise and 90's sky rocketed. My father still goes into amazement when he looks at what he owned, what pice he bought/sold them for and what they go for today. I always ask in amazement of how did he not know they would be collectors and worth something later. Much of his responses are like what was said in this post. (they were still going down in value, etc)

Anyway, the point is a viper (any of the years) by simply being american built, high HP sports cars without a bunch of electronics and built in low production numbers will definately be collector cars. Probably not for another 10yrs or more, but they definately will be. I am sure some of the special editions and years will be more desirable than others, but even that is hard to predict.

As for the other cars on the list, they are all very easy safe bets as well. The Ford GT is such an easy one and really has its current value because they no longer build it. If they had still been building them for the last 5yrs, the used ones would be worth much less.

All that said, I have only purchased one car as a collector (100% stock 65 corvette rdstr with all options and 40k original miles in 1988). Sold in 2005 for a 4x increase. Loved the car and wife wishes we still had it, but reality was difficult to enjoy as had to keep stock, all #'s matching, etc. I will not be surprised if the Viper follows that same path in the future, again just not sure when that future point happens.

Lastly, if what I suggest happens (who knows...) I do think having the originality will matter, so having all those original parts we have changed (stock exhausts, air intakes, etc) will matter in value. Anyways, just my guess based upon past history.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang