Viper Totaled - Need Advice

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I need some advice from members that have had their Vipers totaled after being in an accident (I was involved in an accident last Monday, when a PT Cruiser cut me off and forced me to strike the shoulder guard rail).

I would appreciate it if someone could answer the questions below:

I bought my car new in September 2004 for $84K it currently has 8,900 miles.

My question is how much money can I expect to get from my insurance company? What is fair?

I checked Kelly Blue Book and these are their numbers:

Trade-in $65,245
Private $72,365
Suggested Resale $79,510

If I believe the amount to be unfair, what recourse(s) do I have?

Does anyone know how Insurance companies determine the pay out amount for a totaled vehicle?

Thanks for any input.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am very sorry to hear about this. I hope that you are all right!!!

As for the insurance, who is your insurer? Do you have a stated value policy? If not then insurance might take you to the cleaners. What I have found is they do not use the traditional KBB, they come up with their own numbers and unfortunately when battling the insurance company, there is little recourse. I have heard of people getting a estimator who knows Viper's very well but from what I hear that is the only thing that you can really do. LAURI with the 93 RT with white stripes, is going through the same thing now. I would say talk to him since he would know the best. GOOD LUCK AND HOPE TO SEE YOU BACK IN THE VCA WITH ANOTHER ONE!!!!!!!

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your ride. Usually that will depend on your insurance company. If you stated a value when you insured it then they will do it on that price. Then if not try to contact viper appraiser on your part and tell them that you had it appraised on that amount. The insurance company will pay the least if you let them appraised it them self. I think someone on the Gen. II forum is having the same deal right now. Do a search and it might give you some info. Good luck.

Mamba55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your viper. Hope you are okay. Here is how the ins companies work. To determine if the viper is totalled or any car the damage has to exceed 3/4 of what the car is worth. If they declare that the car is totalled than what they do is get their estimaters to give the value on the car and sorry to say that it will be no where near what KBB is posting. So if you know someone in the AUTOBODY business who will give you a price under that price than you should get it fix and than have a better chance of selling it not losing all that $$$$$. If you have pics of the damage and a list maybe i can see what it would come out to and where are you located by the way?

paul

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yet another totalled Viper... and another cut-off victim. January is not even over yet. Makes me want to lock mine up until further notice.

Sorry to hear about your snake, but glad you're ok. Hope things go well with insurance... I suspect there are a lot of pros here on that topic now that can assist you. :confused:

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the PT Cruiser cut you off, just sue the driver of the PT Cruiser. Then it's HIS insurance company's problem. Add in pain and suffering, injury, etc. and you will get full value for your car.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should get $79K - that's what your car is "worth" in a retail environment and that's the only environment you can purchase in.... that being said - don't be surprised if they offer you significantly less than that based on auction results or some such other nonsense.

you should also check your policy. I am with Fireman's Fund and I have FULL REPLACEMENT coverage on all my newer vehicles. If anything I own that's under 5 years old gets totaled - the Ins. co will BUY ME A NEW ONE. Erie Insurance is another company that will write this amendment. It's about $100 / year to have it and it's a no brainer for any daily driver / newer car.

I've exercised this clause once when our trailer was stolen - same coverage - they cut me a check within 30 days for a 2 year newer trailer - optioned exactly as the old one. I was out of pocket $50 - the amount of my deductible.

I do not pay the cheapest for car insurance or homeowners insurance - but every time some other agent of company looks at my policy and tries to MATCH the coverage and do it cheaper - they can't. So - maybe I could save a few hundred $$$$ per year - but it's just not worth it to me.

OP
OP
N

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice folks! I truly appreciate it.

I'll be reviewing my policy carefully, so that they don't try to pull a fast one on me.

Kai, I wish I could hold the guy in the PT Cruiser responsible, but he took off after I went to check on the other person that was involved in the accident.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai, I wish I could hold the guy in the PT Cruiser responsible, but he took off after I went to check on the other person that was involved in the accident.

[/QUOTE] What a TOOL..they should chop his sack off if they catch him...Good Luck with the claim :mad: :mad:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice folks! I truly appreciate it.

I'll be reviewing my policy carefully, so that they don't try to pull a fast one on me.

no witnesses? You need to get the police involved. Just makes your blood boil. :evilmad:

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you were forced off the road.

It is interesting that some people think that if you have stated value insurance you will GET the stated value. That is NOT true. If the value of the insured car falls below the stated value that is what you would get. Stated value is more relavent for older or classic cars, not newer "replaceable with equivalent cars".

There is NO WAY you would get $79,500 even if that is in the KBB. You can STILL get a NEW '04 for around $70,000 (I paid $72,500 in last June and there were a few traded at just under $70,000 on eBay at that time) and the insurance company will claim that your car isn't worth more than that, unless you paid for extra coverage and had documented modifications.

With 8900 miles I'd bet they'll pay around $62,000. Make sure you get the 7/70 warranty on your replacement car - they should figure that in is total value. It will NOT be fair unless you can get it out of the guy who forced you off the road.

I figure I paid at least $10,000 EXTRA to be the FIRST owner of my Viper, and if I were in an accident and the car was totalled, I am sure no insurance company would let me get that premium back - since my car is now a used one.

I wish you luck. Of course, if you are tight with your agent you could get a sweetheart deal.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My experience has been that they will make you a low ball offer. Despite how you feel, they will not increase the offer without just reason. In my case, they went from 11,500 on my last car to 13,000 when I pointed out that the car had a few options they overlooked. I got more when I convinced them that the car was in exceptional condition. This is the key, because condition is subjective and up to the person you deal with.

I ended up with someone that saw my point about loosing so much money, so he told me in a nice way that unless there was an error in the report about the options or condition of the car he was not authorized to give me more.

Lesson learned, when reviewing the options don't be too forth coming, leave something to work with including condition.

If I can be of more help PM me.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
****** to hear that Art...and you were just getting ready to throw some new wheels on the car too :( Hope your in a Viper soon and get the money you deserve!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Art.
I also would suggest you give Jon Brobst of Partsrack a call. Not only will he help you in establishing a value, his expertice and experience with Vipers makes him an expert witness. He also might be interested in purchasing your totalled car. He picks these up, and strips them for doner parts to keep other wounded Vipers on the road.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The information in KBB and NADA is only suggestive. It is based on depreciation due to the year, the car's condition, and the mileage. These guides use the same criteria for Vipers as they do for Hondas, Toyotas, etc. If everyone paid MSRP (or higher) for these cars, you can probably get close to a $79K payoff. Because some of these cars weren't selling at the time, a lot of folks paid considerably less than MSRP (due to market conditions). If I paid a little over $72K for a brand new 2004 SRT-10 will the insurance company cut me a check for $79K if I totaled it? I think not.

Lesson learned: Make sure you insure or find a company that will insure your future Viper for its full replacement value and find the best possible deal on the sales price (use Ebay, Autotrader, and this site to see what everyone else is paying for these cars).

Mamba55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your car. I am going through the same thing right now with my 05 mamba and they haven't totalled it yet but are planning ot fix it.
My INS is CHUBB and they are really good. I asked them to give me the value of the car and where they got it from. They valued the car at 75K for it is the mamba edition.
The guy told me over the phone is what they do is research on what the car is worth on several sites like KBB and etc.... Than they do research on what that exact car went for in several auctions in your area and finally they look at the blue book that used car dealers use i believe it is called the galve but after viewing all that they will also look at what shape your car was in before the accident and they will determine from that but you should get in the 60's and possibly low 70's.
Let me know if this helps you.
Paul

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are ok. My only experience was last year when my harley caught fire. The paid me the adverage of NADA, KELLY,& GALVES high retail book plus sales tax. The also paid for all accessories that I had invoices for plus tax. Before I met with them I had printed out all the Harley's that I could find for sale so I had bargaining power. I would also try to get your gas guzzler tax and freight back too.
Please feel free to call me if you want to talk.

Robbie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang