Viper vs. Corvette drag races!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, SoCal's really started something now! There's a two-page thread over at the Corvette Forum ( http://www.corvetteforum.com/ubb/Forum49/HTML/000352-2.html ), the net of which is that there will be Viper vs. Corvette drag racing all day on 8/18 at Famoso Raceway near Bakersfield, CA. I encourage everyone in the area with a Viper and an interest in some fun racing to join us! So far there are about 30 Corvettes and 5 Vipers attending the Saturday races, and I'd love to see that ratio even out a bit. The Corvette group is starting to get serious, bringing along modified engines and drag slicks to the party. I know there are a number of fast Vipers in the CA / AZ area -- how about some of you turning out to represent our V10 contingent?

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Treynor;

Sounds great, though I live in Iowa.

I get frustrated with the drag race thing because of the "modified" aspect. You don't really know what you are racing unless the prodpects are graded by mods. It would be so nice if the only mods allowed in "stock" would be tubes and K&N's. You can easily modify most of these great performance cars. What a difference 50k can make in a car that looks factory.

It sounds like fun, wish I could be there. Is it normal for the strip owners to really seperate the modified cars, or does Viper just run Vette? Maybe a dumb question, but I don't have a dragstrip near me. It would seem fruitless to compete in an open "Viper/Vette" drag. How do they break the catagories down?

Sincerely,

Jim

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,
You're absolutely correct, it doesn't make sense to have competitions based on outright speed without a set of rules or classes to compete in. For this particular outing, it's all just for fun and we're there to do some racing and enjoy the company. People will figure out which cars are fast soon enough
You must be registered for see images

Most amature drag racing is "bracket racing", where you try to come as close as possible to a time you specify without going faster than it. You stagger the launches of the two cars by the difference in their specified times, so in theory both arrive at the end of the dragstrip at the same time. This approach eliminates most (but not all) of the advantage of having the faster car.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treynor got your mail but could not send it for some reason. Jason Heffner supercharged my car, it cost about $12,500 and I have had it on with no problems for about 18 months it makes 570 hp on the rearwheels emissions legal with no other modifications. The car runs 10's on a regular radial and 10.4's on slicks It just ran a 10's on pzero's at enlishtown friday. Hope this helps.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben's right, we need more support from the Viper community. To clarify we will rent the Famoso track for the WHOLE day for unlimited runs, and it looks like there will be a camera crew from FOX Sports Net there filming for broadcast so come out. Go to the address Trenyor posted, register n the board, add your name to the thread and you're in.

The Corvette boys are talking all kinds of mods to beat us so lets go.

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O.k., SloCal, this might finally be our showdown that has secretly left you shaking in your boots. I think I've even convinced Mumdodge to make a few straight line runs, but you never know. Also, if Brett can get a car that is actually made in America, he might be able to be dragged out.....

WAR SLOCAL SMACK

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to hear Kid, you've been ducking me long enough. I'm sorry to hear you had to cancel on going to Carlsbad this Sunday, I guess you came down with a case of Yellow Fever.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I officially signed up on the CF. I hope there are some fast Vettes there. There's only one C5 I know of who can take me!

P.S., Kid: "SloCal" -- I like it

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which C5 runs faster than an 11.7? The only 'fast' car I knew of who planned to attend was Beach Bum, who has an 11.5sec C4.

Also interesting to note that we have the first objection to Vipers showing up, with no plausible reason given. I guess the poster didn't like the idea of losing... over, and over, and over...

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well well -- looks like we're going to have some competition. This Corvette just joined the fray.

SoCal, it's not too late to get NOS for your car

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treynor,

I can give you Larrys email (guy that bought my 94 supercharged snake and he might want to go, see thread below) He'll show those modded up vettes who's the boss. Maybe Kid97GTS got his name and number at that car show..

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben,
There's a guy named Bob down in OC who has a white C5 convertible with ported heads, cam, headers, exhaust, lower final drive ratio, nitrous, and probably some other goodies. I was always a tenth or so faster than him, until he decided to squeeze right off the line, at which point he laid waste to me with an 11.3 ET. I do not know if Bob is joining in the fray, but he has by far the fastest C5 I have seen at the drag strip.

As for JB's blown Vette, it has never turned ET's as good as you'd expect (i.e., typically in the high 12's). I don't know why, could be the driver. Joel is a cool guy in any case.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW, Ben, I also posted a response to the ZR-1 guy who had a **** up his a$$ about the Viper guys being invited to join in. I basically said it's fine to hold an elitist event, but don't complain if you can't get enough of your own to sign up to make it happen, which is why the Viper guys were asked to join in. And besides which, do we get pi$$ed off when Vette guys show up at Viper Days? Heck no, it's fun to have some diversity!

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If 11.3 is the fastest 'Vette there, I might as well leave my bottle at home -- I should be able to run that on motor & slicks alone
I think SoCal's getting nervous, however, especially since he's now talked FOX into filming the proceedings...

Regarding the ZR-1 owner, I'm actually rather pleased that only one Corvette owner has objected to Vipers attending the races. I half expected a storm of protest, since stock-for-stock or mod-for-mod Vipers are quite a bit quicker (and more expensive) that Corvettes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
booth