Viper vs. GMC Denali SUV -- DENALI WON!!!!!

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To me whether this is on a carfax or not, it is what it is...a car that has been involved in an accident. That is where I would involve an attorney and try to recoup for diminished value. Obviously, if and when you sell the car, you would tell the potential new owner about the damages whether it is on a carfax or not, so I think whether is shows up is immaterial.

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man that *****, I was just showing my wife your car yesterday and telling her that this is what I want my car to look like. Now to see it in it stage is painful to look at. I would have killed that lady.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Sorry to see that. Let your insurance company handle it to YOUR expectations...thats what you pay them for. Good luck.
Women and SUVs...more dangerous than terrorism. Reminds me of when I was stopped at a red light in my RX7 and got rear ended by a woman in a minivan. I watch my rear view all the time now and leave escape space in front of my car when stopped so I can increase the space between the rear of my car and the idiots behind me when prudent. Most drivers do not stop behind others leaving the proper distance ie. able to see the rear tires of the car in front of you. Post pics after you get it fixed.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me whether this is on a carfax or not, it is what it is...a car that has been involved in an accident. That is where I would involve an attorney and try to recoup for diminished value. Obviously, if and when you sell the car, you would tell the potential new owner about the damages whether it is on a carfax or not, so I think whether is shows up is immaterial.

You should not need an attorney to get the DV.... but I agree with the suggestion to use a high end exotic vehicle repair facility... pick the one that all the Ferrari and Porsche guys go to... that shop will know how to deal with the insurance people.

As far as Carfax... waste of time. If you really want to know the history of your car ask your insurance agent to run an Auto Loss History Report. I had a Carfax on mine... nothing... later pulled a ALHR and found one claim where the soft top and windows were stolen..... An ALHR shows every insurance claim on your vehicle.. and on a Viper it is unlikely there was any damage done without an insurance claim.

Good Luck.

Lance

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manny, your killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My beloved RT/10 survived 9 years of pampered care and now this. Oh the humanity. I can't watch it any more. My poor RT/10 has been tainted. Hope it works out for you.

-JOnathan

Yeah, I know. Like I said, I have taken it out one time previously, then once on Thrusday night when I went out with some friends and then yesterday with my girl for 4th of July. I was extra careful about everything, including people drivig up too close, etc. But as luck would have it, I got smacked while not even moving.

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Accident happened about 30 feet from a police station. I had mass police there in no time. Heck, there were police on foot within walking distance that came over when they heard the crunch.

They did take a report. So this means it will be on car fax?

As far as Carfax goes, it's my understanding that they get all their information from the state DMV. If an accident report was not filed, they have no way of knowing the car was damaged. They do not receive any information from insurance companies.

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Tomer,

I too have State Farm. They insure 4 of my vehicles, and have been pretty good, so we'll see what happens. I just now need to get some information on Diminished Value and see what I can get out of that.

As for the turnk tub, I am not sure what that is. The right Quarter Panel is cracked to hell, and the left side doesn't have cracks, but the trunk lid has been pushed into it so that the pieces have formed a tight seal and the trunk cannot be opened. Where they have sealed, there is paint missing on that quarter panel. The rear bumper doesn't seem to have any damage other than a big scuff mark which would need to be repainted. Amazingly, the cheapest part of it all, the wing, suffered no damage that I can see. And finally, the part of the car between the trunk lid and the rear window is really scraped up from the trunk lid being pushed up into and over it. This also keeps me from opening the trunk.

AviSarfaraz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MAN! Superbar!!! :shocked: Get those ********, your viper is the prettiest Gen1 I have EVER seen!!! [******] them! Rip them ******** apart!!! :mad:

I feel very sorry for you Superbar :(

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
superbar

Hope you have access to legal counsel to protect YOU and your interests (ie Viper)

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJoe -- what do you mean? I am assuming State Farm will take care of everything for me. Curious as to why you think I might need an attorney.

Thanks.

PETSN8K

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bonkers, You're right when you say the insurance company is responsible for ultimately determining whether or not the car is a total loss. You're wrong when you say Carfax is an insurance database.

When you file an accident report with the police, a record of that accident goes on file (public record). If the car is deemed a total loss by the insurance company, the insurance company is required by law to do either 1) file for a branded title with the state DMV or 2) send a notice to the car owner (if the owner retains the vehicle) advising him of the state law which requires the title to be branded (1 or 2 depends on said state law).

State files are public record, insurance files are not. Carfax operates on the reports generated by the state and are not allowed access to the insurance company's database. A title can only be branded by the state, and then only after being advised of it's condition by either the insurance company or the owner. It then becomes public record and Carfax has access to it.

I know because I have already been through it.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I continued to avoid this thread 'cause I thought it was some cheesy story about racing a denali, but I am sorry to see that happen to your car.

PETSN8K

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Superbar, I'm not sure if it will show up on Carfax. I know Carfax has a hard time obtaining accurate accident information from some states due to the states reporting procedures. I have no idea if California is one of them.

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I forgot to mention one thing about the accident. While the cops were getting all the info, this one cop comes up to me and says that I don't have a front license plate. So I remember reading about that whole deal here in the forums and I tell him that a front license plate will cause the car to overheat and there is a form authorized by the CHP that allows Dodge Vipers to not need a front license plate. I told him I didn't have it with me as I just got the car, so he told me OK and to make sure I carry it around from now on. HA! Not sure if that would have worked had I not been in an accident and instead got pulled over for speeding or something, but he bought it, at least. Thanks to whoever started that thread.

PETSN8K

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gerald, I don't think so. Even if superbar did not have a valid driver's license the Denali's insurance company would still have to pay.

Well, at least in my state this is true.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might not fix it to "factory standards", or your standards.
Your car might have a ball and chain if your local PD / insurance company make the information on the accident / repair available to CarFax etc on future valuation.
Ms. Denali might tell her insurance company you backed into her, etc, etc, etc.
Just a thought.
Hope it all works out!
Have a nice day!

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Viper vs. GMC Denali SUV -- Body damage

Well the Viper is now getting repaired. I am told I will be without her for about a month or so. Not sure of exact damanges, but it's not going to be as bad as I thought (probably around $5 to $6 thousand.)

However, I found me another same year RT/10 that I am buying tomorrow and will then place my other one in the paper. Only did it because the new one I am getting already has a SVSi built engine plus lots of other mods. Will post photos once I have it here.

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this Manny, I felt really bad when I saw those pics. Hope you get it fixed quickly. Good thing is that you are ok.

Jon, I can feel your pain too.

Best of luck.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man that ***** - I'm sure it will come up good as new - but what a pain!

I've been hit bad twice in well over 1 million km of driving - once by a drunk in a full sideways slide on my side of the road around a blind corner - I just had time to aim my front right fender at him to avoid a direct head on....

second time I got stopped on the freeway by a traffic jam... but the old dear behind in her Audi was probably reciting poetry and ....whack! Saw it coming - but you can't steer a parked car. My car was unfixable - loved that car too.

Maybe you need a bumper sticker - BACK OFF A..HOLE!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenomXX