viper vs. sl65 amg.....

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SL65 will crush you in a drag or street situation. You need a supercharger. On a roadcourse, things are more interesting and the Viper could have an advantage.

The post about the Gen III or Stock GTS beating C6Zs is also false. I had a C6Z before my Gen IV Viper.

No matter what, you have a VIPER and your buddy does not!

Be safe!
Exactly - finally, someone else here who gets it!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, but there is a huge difference between that and the black series, which I think people are confused about. Isnt there also a difference in transmission and weight also?

My PR is 11.9 and that was with bad tires and no short shift. I am still in training though!

keep in mind, especially with benzes and bmws, there is this whole new euro-rice thing going on. people love to throw amg and M badges on cars that should really not have them, and this could be the case for both of us.
AS i posted previously you MUST check the wheels as they are indicative of the 65 series badges aside.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I do with my car and where I do it is my own business (for all intensive purposes I keep it on the track) and I really don't think that should change anyones input or advice. I am not a fool, and I am in no danger of crashing my viper because I am a safe driver....

I hope you don't plan to use that statement in a courtroom:D

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to your local track and run a quarter mile if your capable of AN 11.7 OR BETTER ect run him .If not you will lose as its much easyier for him to run a good time than it is for you as almost anyone is capable of putting one of them (SL-65 )FIRMLY IN THE 11S.

This is a good benchamrk. FYI, alot of amg owners say their car is stock but almost everyone I meet at the track rentals have a 'tune'. Even if it is a stage 1 tune it is a tune regardless. That being said most still run high 11's 11.7-11.9 Only a handful get to mid 11's . Even the best drag time I believe is 11.69 so your Viper wont be crushed, you just need to practice a good 60'

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a good benchamrk. FYI, alot of amg owners say their car is stock but almost everyone I meet at the track rentals have a 'tune'. Even if it is a stage 1 tune it is a tune regardless. That being said most still run high 11's 11.7-11.9 Only a handful get to mid 11's . Even the best drag time I believe is 11.69 so your Viper wont be crushed, you just need to practice a good 60'
The one Smith ran at E-Town(11.7) was new from Catena in Edison NJ.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it works, and I can support my claim with evidence! :D

oh and the wheels.... I mentioned this earlier, they are NOT the sl65 wheels....
Probably a garden variety SL500AMG - (badges changed )very nice car but nothing to worry about .LOL its easy to change a few badges ,15 grand plus of wheels is a different matter .Ps it could also be an SL55 -a ton more common (almost as fast as the 65 )available with a few different wheel sets

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
btw: don't forget his msrp is $194k so if it is close you still won! :drive:

Seriously have seen one out and about and they do seem to get up and go so do post the video of the closed course run.

Winning is winning :p There's plenty of guys in Mustangs who bring up the price argument.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sl500 is well under 500hp and a lowly V8. An Sl 65 was, at one time the "highest hp pass car ever produced".

I think that since he drives a Viper he should not have any trouble telling the difference between a sc'd V8 and a Twin Turbo V12?

Ted

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sl500 is well under 500hp and a lowly V8. An Sl 65 was, at one time the "highest hp pass car ever produced".

I think that since he drives a Viper he should not have any trouble telling the difference between a sc'd V8 and a Twin Turbo V12?

Ted
Well since my girlfriend owns both(i drive them all the time ) I CAN TELL YOU FIRSTHAND VERY LITTLE PERF DIFFERENCE BETWEEN a supercharged E-55 SL-55 and SL.65.(Her 18 year old son the first time down the track in a bone stock e-55 ran 11.9s)

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, but there is a huge difference between that and the black series, which I think people are confused about. Isnt there also a difference in transmission and weight also?

Yeah, they are completely different. The BLACK is much faster, lighter, etc. Think of the SL65 as a Z06 and the BLACK as a ZR1.

Nick

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, they are completely different. The BLACK is much faster, lighter, etc. Think of the SL65 as a Z06 and the BLACK as a ZR1.

Nick
Black is few hundred lbs lighter (Fixed Roof Ect )QUITE POSSIBLY A LOW 11 SECOND CAR

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my 2 cents i drive a gen 1 viper that rivals even new vipers but i get a bigger kick out of just letting people come up on me reving and wanting to race and i just pay no mind ( the i dont need to prove my self look) its much more fun knowing that you dont need to prove anything just driving a viper gives you presence felt and thats all you need !!!!!

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your right Vipzilla when it comes to a kid wanting to test their metal against a Viper. On those rare occasions when a formidable challenge arises amount two adults it's hard not to run through a few gears if the road permits.

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your right Vipzilla when it comes to a kid wanting to test their metal against a Viper. On those rare occasions when a formidable challenge arises amount two adults it's hard not to run through a few gears if the road permits.

OH dont get me wrong there are times when i have to let loose and destroy the comp. but thats also for my own enjoyment lol

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy depreciation! From $192,000+ to $75,000 in 3 years! Those MB's sure don't hold their value... :omg:
THE 65S TAKE REALLY BIG HITS because they are over 70 K more than the 55 or the new 63 series with only a SLIGHT perf gain.