Viper Won't Start - Help!

SmokesnRoadbeers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2001 RT/10

Turn the key - nothing but a bunch of clicking

-Charged the battey - display on charger say the battery is full
-Battery instrumentation on dash looks normal

Gave it a jump - the thing started, then took it for a 20 minute spin. When I turned it off then tried to start it nothing but more clicking.

Funny thing is, it started last night so I assumed that everything was OK until this morning.

Any adivise before it goes into the dealer tomorrow?

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think you have a bad battery. How old is it? Many times you can get a bad battery to show it is charged, but it still will not have any starting power. Find somebody with a Battery Load Tester and have it checked. Also make sure the battery terminals are tight.

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also, the clicking you hear is most probably the starter solinoid throwing the Bendix gear into the flywheel, but not having enough voltage to start spinning the starter. In warmer weather, many battery failures are very sudden, now they are fine, next time they are gone.

OP
OP
S

SmokesnRoadbeers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your probably right, have the same issues with the Seadoo's... I'm lucky if I get 2 seasons out of those.

-thanks

Bullsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd definitely say battery too. I have had them in the past where the battery indicator would even say they had a full charge and get nothing but the starter solenoid clicking. Put a new battery in and off it went...

ACR VYPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check for corrosion on the terminals? Maybe a bad connection? Clean your terminals first. It is definitely not the alternator because you said it runs fine after it is started. Just to make sure, disconnect the battery while the car is running. If it continues to run then you definitely have a bad connection, battery, or wiring leading up to the battery.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would also say check your ground terminal at the battery. It can be on enough to charge the battery slowly but not enough to allow the amps to be pulled from.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2001 RT/10

Turn the key - nothing but a bunch of clicking

-Charged the battey - display on charger say the battery is full
-Battery instrumentation on dash looks normal

Gave it a jump - the thing started, then took it for a 20 minute spin. When I turned it off then tried to start it nothing but more clicking.

Funny thing is, it started last night so I assumed that everything was OK until this morning.

Any adivise before it goes into the dealer tomorrow?

Sound similar to what I experienced with my '01. I ended up replacing the battery. If your Viper has the original battery its time to swap it out.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its the battery. i have had that happen on 2 other vehicles in the past. time for a new battery and a battery tender

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the postings about positive and negative cable connections both at the battery, and the other end of the cables, such as the frame for the ground. A high resistance will cause a big voltage drop when trying to pull enough current to turn over the engine; but, very little when trickle charging the battery, or measuring the voltage remotely.

If you could measure the voltage right on the battery posts when trying to start the car, and the voltage doesn't drop, you know it is not the battery.

Lots of batteries get replaced when the connections were actually the cause. However, on a Viper, if you are going to all the trouble to access the battery, and if the battery is a few years old, you might as well replace it.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, replace the battery. It's happened twice on my Viper. Same symptoms. I bought this Battery Tender : Online Shopping

I will hopefully not have to waste time with the battery R&R every year. :D

ViperVon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check for corrosion on the terminals? Maybe a bad connection? Clean your terminals first. It is definitely not the alternator because you said it runs fine after it is started. Just to make sure, disconnect the battery while the car is running. If it continues to run then you definitely have a bad connection, battery, or wiring leading up to the battery.
I'd be careful about disconnecting the battery while the car is running......You're opening a closed circuit which can give you a voltage spike and also backfeed some of your grounds. Not comletely sure about the effects of this on a Viper but I believe that was something people did back in the 60's and 70's when cars did not have all the electronics they have now. Also if you do unhook it while running be real careful with the positive cable, as it is hot and touching the frame with it could blow your alternator....Just a word of caution.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang