Viper's flaw

Claudio Ferraroni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper\'s flaw

When the RT 10 was first introduced it did not convince me: it's boulevard-cruiser look did not make me feel it was a true sport-car. Later, when the GTS was added to the model range, I really felt overwelmed. What a beauty!! That roof beautifully matched the dramatic lines of the body and perfectly melted with the tail. It made the car really perfect. If at Dodge really were inspired by the Cobra GT, they could not have a better job done: that car really has its roots in the golden memories of that true masterpiece. The raw power, the massive torque and the astonishing roadholding embodyed in those dramatic lines, started to make my sleep uneasy. When the GTS started to win on the tracks of the whole world, I finally decided to leave Porsche playground: that was the car to own. A 12% discount on a brand new 2000 silver GTS sitting unsold in eastern Italy swept away my esitation. I have been owning the car for two years now and never regretted one single day. I am still charmed beyond clearness by it's style, pleased by the power, satisfied with the handling. . . and conquered by that massive machinery invading the cabin and by the miracle of being so nimble despite being so huge. Due to the normalization of adrenalin level in my body (car has been stored for two months now) I feel able to talk about it's perceived flaws; I read this forum for a while and saw a lot of complaining about scanty braking capability, uselessness of right-door mirror, rattling and squeakings of various origin in the cabin, but never saw highlighted what I feel to be one important flaw of Vipers: the steering. When I drove my car at the beginning, I felt a sense of unease the cause of wich I could not immediately recognize: tha car was nimble , it got plenty of torque and behaved properly in any situation, still I felt difficult to negotiate the entry into bends on winiding roads. That feeling disappeared after many kilometers but reappered when driving the Snake anew after driving other cars. I devoleped a conviction: Viper's steering is quicker in the center than toward ends. It gives to me the sensation of a sort of varying ratio. Did somebody feel the same?? Not that the steerig is'nt sharp, no! It's. . . . tricky!!! It needs more concentration than it should! If you ever owned a Porsche you probably know what I mean: it just could have been better.
Sun is back in Italy, and I will soon sit behind the big engine. . . . . it's roar will sweep away all these thoughts. . . still I would like to know your opinions, friends.

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Viper\'s flaw

Claudio, you speak so wonderfully. I am glad you are a fellow Italian in rapture with the Viper. I have not noticed what you point out in the steering. It seems very controllable and balanced to me. (I also have a 2000.)

Sincerely,
Louis Leone (né Luciano)

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll try out my steering in the morning with this in mind, though it will just be in an rt/10...

BTW, do you mean gray, not silver, for your 2000?

Acatala7

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ummmmm well i was born in Gaeta Italy, moved to the states when i was 7, and am PROUD TO TALK LIKE A SAILOR AT SHORE LEAVE IN BANGKOK!!!!!!

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think yu hit the nail on the head as far as the "jumpiness" of the car goes..
smile.gif
smile.gif

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Claudio. You may be right about the steering. I think i read an article in Motor trend or car & driver comparing several sports cars on the race track as far as handling. Mario Andretti was the driver for all vehicles and commented how quick the steering on the viper was on center. Maybe it's just Italians that can notice it -You and Mario :)

OP
OP
C

Claudio Ferraroni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by slaughterj:
I'll try out my steering in the morning with this in mind, though it will just be in an rt/10...

BTW, do you mean gray, not silver, for your 2000?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I thought it was silver, is it not? Colour name being Viper silver.

OP
OP
C

Claudio Ferraroni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Acatala7:
Ummmmm well i was born in Gaeta Italy, moved to the states when i was 7, and am PROUD TO TALK LIKE A SAILOR AT SHORE LEAVE IN BANGKOK!!!!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does Bangkok have a shore?? Never noticed! It's my favourite holiday spot too; good choice! Your car too !

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am interested to see what kind of response you get to this. I posted a question a couple months ago, asking about the plastic screws in the front wheel wells. I received several responses on the board bashing me for questioning the Vipers craftsmanship. Some even told me to get a luxury sedan and quit questioning DC's flagship car. I also received several emails to my account, from people who thought there are certain flaws with the car. Overall I like the car. I would not have bought two of them if I didn't. But there is always room for improvement with everything. Apparently those that criticized me for asking about flaws, are not familiar with Continuous Improvement & Quality Management techniques used in manufacturing. Your comments are well taken. Aqua Fresca, Vino Puro, Catzo Duro, Figa Streta.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang