Vipers for Track Days, Setup

yellow02z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Z06 owner, raced wheel to wheel for 4 years, many track days, etc. Did 15 days / races a year avg.

Likely to buy 05 or 06, because I am tired of the Vette, and want a convertible. But I will want to do some track days in the Viper, and have some questions.

The Vette got very hot in track sessions, and I added trans cooler, diff cooler, big radiator, went through a number of brake setups, before I got to a fade free setup. I blew an engine (it did have a big cam, and it was 4 years of racing, but...) replaced a trans (x2), diffs (x2), etc. I also have roll bar, racing seat, track tires, etc. etc.

So here is the questions. Do I have to do all that cooling, etc. to keep the thing alive on the track? Do you feel Vipers are up to track abuse? Are those little roll bars sufficient for rollover protection? I would be doing less days than in the past with Vette, maybe 3 a year...

Thanks!

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put 110K+ miles on my '02Z06, most of them at the track:)

I did all the DRM coolers, trans/diff/oil, ran stock rotors/race pads, did overheat a BIT even after all that.

But the VIPER, whoah, started tracking that last year and it's a heavier car, mine overheats and it's a major issue with me at this point. I have done a few modifications to help with that so I don't have to keep pitting, waiting a few min. to cool it down and go back out again haha!

In my experience my 2001 Viper overheats MORE than my Z06 did.

I personally would get a GTS if you want to do a few HPDE's/yr...but you mention you miss the vert thing....sooooo hummm...a choice to be made.

OP
OP
Y

yellow02z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put 110K+ miles on my '02Z06, most of them at the track:)

I did all the DRM coolers, trans/diff/oil, ran stock rotors/race pads, did overheat a BIT even after all that.

But the VIPER, whoah, started tracking that last year and it's a heavier car, mine overheats and it's a major issue with me at this point. I have done a few modifications to help with that so I don't have to keep pitting, waiting a few min. to cool it down and go back out again haha!

In my experience my 2001 Viper overheats MORE than my Z06 did.

I personally would get a GTS if you want to do a few HPDE's/yr...but you mention you miss the vert thing....sooooo hummm...a choice to be made.

Hey Leslie - I think I know you - not too many females drive track days. I have same Vette, did all basic same mods, did track days for 2 years, raced with Midwest Council for 4 years. We met on a cold day at Mid Ohio,late year PCA day.

Anyway, I am looking to get an SRT10 convert 03-06 yellow or white, late this winter.