Vipers Own the 1 Mile!!

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Vipers Own the 1 Mile!!

Actually, I am surprised that the magazines don't publish more environmental info on their top speed runs. Elevation, temperature and inclines/banking must have a significant affect.

--- Ken

lol - yeah - remember the elephant on Jumbo Drop movie reached around 100mph+ making it the fastest Elephant in the world....

falling out of a plane :)

Going fast downhill is a huge rush though! Unless you want to stop of course :ooo:

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm not going to dispute any numbers, but I will say this -

1. WITH EQUAL DRIVERS, a stock GTS will be a LOT more than a few MPH fast than a stock Z06 in a mile run. Heck, it is usually +5 MPH fast in the 1/4 mile on average. I'd say 10-13 MPH, which the magazine articles I've read agree with, when testing both cars at the same time - with same driver.

2. I've run Z06's. The greater the speeds, the more the Viper pulls. No freak'in way a Z06 is going to make up ground after the 1/4 mile. Quite the contrary, that's when it begins to REALLY disappear. So 10-13 MPH seems reasonable.

3. On my personal closed road 1-mile stretch, I've hit 170 MPH in the mile. Not sure about elevation, but the road looks/seems very level. I think the magazines are actually accurate with regards to this test, assuming low altitude and level surface.

My .02

THISLDO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

PRESS RELEASE

The One Mile Shoot Out is currently under investigation by the United State's Office of Equal Employment and Opportunity Commision. A 300 page indictment alleges that the timing directors for the event have discriminated against GTS Vipers and posted false results lowering the cars speeds in the One Mile Shoot Out. The matter first came to the attention of the EEOC when Vipers were listed as having speeds of less than 160 MPH in a measured mile. The timing devise used in the event is currently being tested by the FBI for tampering. Results are expected soon and a Department of Justice spokesman is quoted as saying, "Their going down on this one. Everyone knows a GTS can do 170 MPH or more in the mile, all of the magazines say so."

The scheme was apparently hatched by disgruntled ZO6 owners who sought to decrease the disparity between the speeds of the two cars in one mile. Joe Shown of Stapleton, Nebraska is also under indictment for falsely posting speeds of 164 MPH in the event for the last two years. FBI Agent Sneed Gluckfern said that his office was aggresively investigating the case and would recommend jail time for Shown. "Give me a break" Gluckfern said, "Ain't no way a car with 400 wheel horsepower will have a higher speed than a GTS in one mile." Agent Gluckfern went on to say that he is confident that the magazine articles produced as evidence in the trial will result in Shown's conviction. Shown may also face charges of illegal wagering alcohol on a racing event. Bond was set at $100,000 for the alleged perpatrator. One annonymous Viper pilot said he knew something was wrong when his GTS only measured 157 MPH. "I was appaled, I know my car is faster than that. The timing equipment has obviously been tampered with." Additional endictments are expected.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We are forgetting a few very important factors when debates like this pop up. It is called stock or not, majority of the vocal/racing zo6 community seem to have a very loose idea of what stock really is.

It is not unusual to see someone say my zo6 is stock, then when questioned further stock includes exhaust/headers/drag radial/air box/ls1 edit tuning.

Magazines may not be the best drivers out there but that does not mean their test results cant be used to judge cars side by side. As a majority a gen 2 viper basically lays the smack down on any stock zo6, in every category besides braking. When it comes down to straight line speed especially in 1 mile, the comparison is a joke.

And as far as the promoters zr1 is concerned I am having a very difficult time believing anyone that actively promotes events and races in them will keep his car stock, or any where near it. But then again a zr1 is still a vette and by being so may fall under the imaginary stock category.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

THISLDO,

I know how it feels when everyone is staring real data in the face and refuses to believe it :)

BUT,

I don't see a ZR-1 keeping up as well as has been said. A ZR-1 is going to be at LEAST 10mph behind just after the 1/4, and I don't see it closing the gap to within 4mph after 3/4 of a mile more. Same with the Z06 - it's going to be down 4-5mph in 1/4, so I don't see how it's going to close to 2mph in 3/4 more of a mile. Hey, but the numbers speak for themselves. How many stock Vipers were there this year, and how many stock ZR-1's and Z06's?

P.S. 395RWHP is very impressive for your mods. My friend had just about every bolt on known to man and would run 11.60's at around 120 or so in his ZR-1. We were pretty dead even in highway pulls.

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote: "100-150 MPH takes place in less than 6 seconds standing on the gas in 4th gear @ 4,000 RPM! It is faster if I do 3-4, but 5200 RPM in 3rd gear @ 100 MPH to 6000 RPM takes about a second. Also, 80-150 goes by in about 7.5 seconds. For comparison sake, the Venom 800 in the Car & Driver magazine 2,000 HP shootout last year did 100-150 in 7.9 seconds. The LPE Vette did it in 7.6 seconds. I know the Venom 1000 cars are faster, but they are running more boost than me as well."

:eek: :eek: Those would be some of the quickest times I've ever seen for a high speed road car. Drag cars are one thing - but this is quite a different beast. Do you realise the average family car cannot go 0 - 50mph in under 6 seconds? It takes massive power to run that from 100-150. Enjoy! And stop picking on the poor little superbikers - they don't stand a chance!

....speaking of whom - did you ever see the crap going down on the 'bussa forum when Gerald beat a bussa twice on video in a couple of fun runs? There was more than a few bussa owners who were certain they would own any Viper out there and the "problem" was simply that "they" were not riding :rolleyes: .... if you meet any of those arrogant riders in Chicago (closed track of course) - do us all a favour and humble them. All they'll then be able to say is "well you've got a supercharger and my weanie hasn't - wait till you meet my mate's 450hp turbo Bussa!" ...but at least they'll go home knowing they got owned!

I think you guys are nuts for going such insane speeds! But that's what hot-rodding is all about! I've always been interested in the one mile and top speed wars. I just wanted to put some superbike perspective into the mix. When the ZX12 came out in 2000, Doug Meyer took a completely bone stock 12 and drove it to 192.3 mph from a standing start at the Maxton Mile, and this was verified by the East Coast Timing Association. With just the addition of a pipe, he went 199.2 mph in a standing start mile.

Just a few months ago, a pro drag racer took a completely stock Busa and a 12, and pushed both to high nine's (9.8-9.9 sec) and 146 mph in the quarter mile...and both were showroom condition, no straps, no lowering kits, no drag tires, no filters, etc. These bikes can go 0-100 mph in about 5.5 seconds, so by rough estimate, they're going from 100-146 mph in around 4.5 seconds or so...

So the big bikes still deserve some respect. Of course, the big factor here is that the bikes were driven by experienced pro racers who know how to extract the best out of their machines. Put it in the hands of a much lesser racer (like me) and things won't be so impressive.

If you really need competition, the Florida guys run the 9/10 mile standing drags...there was a video here of a turbo Busa going 227 mph on GPS...now that's power! There's several groups out there (Velocity Racing, NLR) who are going for 250 mph and 260 mph on the Bonneville Salt flats, on turbo Busas. I think the 250 goal will be reached soon.

Oh, and the quickest street-legal sportbike now stands at 7.56 seconds at 190 mph in the quarter mile...crazy!

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you guys are nuts for going such insane speeds! But that's what hot-rodding is all about! I've always been interested in the one mile and top speed wars. I just wanted to put some superbike perspective into the mix. When the ZX12 came out in 2000, Doug Meyer took a completely bone stock 12 and drove it to 192.3 mph from a standing start at the Maxton Mile, and this was verified by the East Coast Timing Association. With just the addition of a pipe, he went 199.2 mph in a standing start mile.

Just a few months ago, a pro drag racer took a completely stock Busa and a 12, and pushed both to high nine's (9.8-9.9 sec) and 146 mph in the quarter mile...and both were showroom condition, no straps, no lowering kits, no drag tires, no filters, etc. These bikes can go 0-100 mph in about 5.5 seconds, so by rough estimate, they're going from 100-146 mph in around 4.5 seconds or so...

So the big bikes still deserve some respect. Of course, the big factor here is that the bikes were driven by experienced pro racers who know how to extract the best out of their machines. Put it in the hands of a much lesser racer (like me) and things won't be so impressive.

If you really need competition, the Florida guys run the 9/10 mile standing drags...there was a video here of a turbo Busa going 227 mph on GPS...now that's power! There's several groups out there (Velocity Racing, NLR) who are going for 250 mph and 260 mph on the Bonneville Salt flats, on turbo Busas. I think the 250 goal will be reached soon.

Oh, and the quickest street-legal sportbike now stands at 7.56 seconds at 190 mph in the quarter mile...crazy!

Busa's are impressive.....No matter if it gets beat by a car it doesnt change the fact that a stock Busa is badass...I dont think these guys are doging the bike ZX its the owners that refuse to give the Viper the credit it deserves...Any car that can outrun a Busa has got to be special....It aint just Vipers that out run em either....You got Vettes,Supras, mustangs etc....The one thing they all have in common is that they are heavily modded...Geralds car even beat a modded Busa if I remember correctly. And there are a few SC Vipers even faster than his :eek: It aint safe for superbikes anymore....

7.5sec @ 190 :eek: that is insane....Aint there some streetlegal turbo Mustangs that are about that fast?

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still don't get the comparisons between bikes and cars. It's apples and oranges. Would you compare the space shuttle to a Busa? It's great that there are high performance machines on 4 wheels as well as 2 that are kick ass but how can one compare the two together??? The only thing they have in common are that they run internal combustion engines and are on spoke wheels.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
7.5sec @ 190 :eek: that is insane....Aint there some streetlegal turbo Mustangs that are about that fast?

Yes - and other cars too. There's even an EFI quad turbo Camaro that runs 6's at 212mph! Oh yeah - fully street legal and registered... street driven but not exactly a grocery getter...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine