Vipers Prices Gen 3

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The oil issue was that the pickup would uncover under long high speed sweepers (I think only left hand) and starve the engine, toasting bearings in a hurry. You have to be on a racetrack that has that kind of turn to start with and then you have to have the guts to hold that kind of speed through the turn, which depending on your tires might not even be possible to achieve the G forces necessary, though if you're low on oil would be easier. I'll agree it's certainly a problem, but really just for the track rats out there. I don't think you'd ever notice it for typical street driving, even agressive driving for that matter.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The oil issue was that the pickup would uncover under long high speed sweepers (I think only left hand) and starve the engine, toasting bearings in a hurry. You have to be on a racetrack that has that kind of turn to start with and then you have to have the guts to hold that kind of speed through the turn, which depending on your tires might not even be possible to achieve the G forces necessary, though if you're low on oil would be easier. I'll agree it's certainly a problem, but really just for the track rats out there. I don't think you'd ever notice it for typical street driving, even agressive driving for that matter.

Again, exactly correct. Couldn't have said it better myself.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with my 03. I use 0w40 instead of the factory fill, but I'm not sure of the oil pickup issue you're talking about. Taken it to the track a few times and was only limited by my lack of experience. Good deals are out there. In July 2010, I bought my silver 03 for $36k with 27,500 miles on it from FL. Clean carfax/title with only a replacement blower motor installed under warranty by the dealer when it was 2 years old. Awesome deal. I've driven it 15,000 miles and have only done oil changes and a few mods. Great car and I would buy one again without hesitation. I like gen 4 vipers, but not worth the extra $$$ for me personally right now.

I feel exactly the same with my 03. I can't drive 510 hp anywhere near it's limits (nor do I have the capability). I can't justify going to a Gen4, even I could afford it. If I could afford it, it would be because I wanted a coupe, or a different color, more than the performance issue.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since searching and buying an 05 Viper last year, I haven't noticed any significant price drop in Gen3 Vipers this year after the launch of the Gen5. That could have went both ways - price drops since people are trading in or selling for the new one, flooding the market, or prices rise since they are much more affordable than a 130K Gen5.

To me, the SUPPLY of Gen3s and even 4s are pretty high, considering how many were made, but about the same as last year. There are pages and pages of them on eBay and Autotrader. I think the relatively large supply keeps the price down. There is never any rush to get a particular one today, another one will show up tomorrow.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me, the SUPPLY of Gen3s and even 4s are pretty high, considering how many were made, but about the same as last year. There are pages and pages of them on eBay and Autotrader. I think the relatively large supply keeps the price down. There is never any rush to get a particular one today, another one will show up tomorrow.

There are only 46 listed 2003-2010 Vipers on eBay currently. IMO that is not a large supply for an 8 year range.
There are 20 Ford GTs for the 2005/2006 model year for comparison and 22 Plymouth Prowlers avail on eBay.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The fact is Vipers have been going up for the past few years , albeit only slightly. Prices can often vary as it is one thing to buy a car that has been gone through, or one that needs reconditioning like any 10 year old car ( with Vipers, consumers have almost demanded getting rid of the run flats, though any 10 year old tire on a high performance car should probably be replaced ).

Gen 1s don't seem to be moving much at all ( price wise ), but Gen 2s , 3s and 4s have all seen a mild increase of late, and this has even been reflected in Gen 3 and Gen 4 bank values ( what they are willing to lend ).

Everyone has their own opinions, and we are all biased about what we like , but we still get more calls for Gen 3s and Gen 4s than any other models on the used market. A Viper owner, as far as I am concerned, should feel the model he/she owns is the best one! The passion is understandable , but having owned everything but a Gen 1 or a new Gen V, I do think we do need to all respect our fellow owner's a bit more, when we consider we are only now getting near 30,000 Vipers ever made -- a number Corvette reaches in a normal year. We do own, and drive a very rare machine, and the pride in having a Viper should be better understood by the faithful.

ViperCobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The fact is Vipers have been going up for the past few years , albeit only slightly. Prices can often vary as it is one thing to buy a car that has been gone through, or one that needs reconditioning like any 10 year old car ( with Vipers, consumers have almost demanded getting rid of the run flats, though any 10 year old tire on a high performance car should probably be replaced ).

Gen 1s don't seem to be moving much at all ( price wise ), but Gen 2s , 3s and 4s have all seen a mild increase of late, and this has even been reflected in Gen 3 and Gen 4 bank values ( what they are willing to lend ).

Everyone has their own opinions, and we are all biased about what we like , but we still get more calls for Gen 3s and Gen 4s than any other models on the used market. A Viper owner, as far as I am concerned, should feel the model he/she owns is the best one! The passion is understandable , but having owned everything but a Gen 1 or a new Gen V, I do think we do need to all respect our fellow owner's a bit more, when we consider we are only now getting near 30,000 Vipers ever made -- a number Corvette reaches in a normal year. We do own, and drive a very rare machine, and the pride in having a Viper should be better understood by the faithful.

+1 :) ... Great comment!

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, if the prices do not go down, then this is as good as going up, technically speaking (considering inflation). There have been only a few times in a pretty long time when GM managed to sell 30k Corvettes in one year. The difference in sales is that mass produced Corvettes tend to sit in large numbers on dealers lots vs. a few Vipers collecting the dust. However, it seems to me that those few Vipers sit considerably longer than Corvettes. I am pretty sure asking prices and better incentives from GM have something to do with it. The incentives on Corvettes kill their resale values, no incentives kills the Viper sales-not sure which one is worse. As a Viper owner, I cannot complain since firm pricing does mean better resale values. I guess it is all a two way street since I have a Vette as well.

Rarity of Vipers is debatable IMO, if there was more demand and sales, Chrysler would be making more Vipers so I think this has more to do with marketability of Viper instead of planned limited production numbers and effect instead of cause. I seem to recall Giles bragging about increases in sale although lately, he seems to be more subdued about this subject.

Last edited:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
A Viper owner, as far as I am concerned, should feel the model he/she owns is the best one!

I certainly agree with this sentiment. The more I'm around mine and the others I get to drive with in the club the more I really like mine. I used to think that I really liked the coupe rear end more and was considering the conversion for my vert, but as I saw more and more coupes I started liking the convertible setup more (maybe just because I don't see as many). I really love the silver too and it's the only one I've seen in person so far in that color. I'm really on the fence with the gen 5 as well. I just never quite know what to think when I look at them. I like parts of them, but the more I see them the more I really still like the look of my old gen 3. I got to sit in one recently as well and wasn't really blown away by anything. The electronics are fun, but I didn't think the comfort or feel was really much better than my car. Granted I also didn't adjust everything to try to suit me since it was someone else's car. I still don't quite know what I'd do if I won the raffle car. Would probably end up giving it to my parents or selling it to fund upgrades for my car, lol.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are only 46 listed 2003-2010 Vipers on eBay currently. IMO that is not a large supply for an 8 year range.
There are 20 Ford GTs for the 2005/2006 model year for comparison and 22 Plymouth Prowlers avail on eBay.

To me, that's a big number for eBay- 46. Now look at Autotrader, 2003-2010. 194 Vipers for sale! That is a lot. There are 26 GTs as well, which is also a lot - surprising!

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2003 = 1875 vipers
2004 = 2433 vipers
2005 = 2003 vipers
2006 = 1869 vipers : 0752 roadsters & 1117 coupes
-----------------------
Total Gen 3 = 8,180

2008 = 1579 vipers
2009 = 0659 vipers
2010 = 0507 vipers
-----------------------
Total Gen 4 = 2,745

Grand total 10,925 so roughly 2% of the Vipers made between 2003-2010 are available on eBay & Autotrader.

Last edited:

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2003 = 1875 vipers
2004 = 2432 vipers
2005 = 2003 vipers
2006 = 1869 vipers : 0752 roadsters & 1117 coupes
-----------------------
Total Gen 3 = 8179

2008 = 1579 vipers
2009 = 0659 vipers
2010 = 0507 vipers
-----------------------
Total Gen 4 = 2745

Grand total 10,924 so roughly 2% of the Vipers made between 2003-2010 are available on eBay & Autotrader.

First, cool stats. But still, 2% is A LOT to choose from. Really, all Gen3s are basically the same, and all Gen4s are basically the same. You choose Vert or Coupe, ACR or not ACR, and color. Given that criteria, there are a ton to choose from. 194 choices is a lot to go through when looking for a car. How many more does one need?

Just about any car you want is available, except the occasional Violet viper or similar rare color. The low prices mentioned in some of the examples in this thread are for red / silver / black type cars where you will find basically endless choices, which hurts value. I mean, if you lose out on a red Viper, 10 more will show up tomorrow. Even the rare yellow 2005 car, there are quite a few for sale at any given moment since I always liked that car and watch the trends.

Anyway, I get your point, and it depends on what you think 'A LOT' means. When I was searching last year for my first Viper, I did not find it particularly hard to have many choices, and I was able to use statistics and eBay sale prices to get the best deal quite easily. If there was not a huge inventory out there, I would not be able to work on the pricing.

I will say that the huge inventory is because Viper owners are trying to keep the car value UP, which is a good sign. If you look at completed listing on eBAY, almost zero cars ever sell. The final bid values are too low, and sellers are NOT caving in, so that is GOOD.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I can say it was definitely easier finding my Viper than my XKR coupe I had before it. Looked up everything I could find for Vipers on a few different sites and made up a spreadsheet with miles, color, year, location, etc. Had probably around 15 on the list at first and narrowed it down to around 3-5 that meet my criteria. When I was looking for my XKR I had to have a coupe and wanted it under a certain price, so that limited it to just a few years. After searching every state's Craigslist, Ebay, and other car selling sites I only ever found maybe 2-5, and only two of those were really even within my criteria. You could find verts everywhere, but coupes were only imported something like 3 to every 10 verts apparently.

slowfrc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Show me a clean gen 3 with low miles (20k or so) with no problems/issues/salvage for 30k and I'll have 2 vipers in the garage. That's just crazy talk.

Never once did I say that they could be had for 30k with low mileage, I said to me they wouldn't be worth it to me even if they were priced that low. Many people feel the same way. There's a reason gen 2 GTSs sell for close to a gen 3 vert even though the gen 3 is far superior mechanically. A lot of people aren't fans of the gen 3/4 vert styling. People are less bothered by the vert styling with a gen 4 because of other mechanical improvements to the car thus my comment about the gen 3s being black sheep. I'm not trying to say that no one wants them but the price that they usually sell for compared to gen 2s and 4s is not commensurate with their performance.

Look guys, I'm not saying gen 3s are crappy cars, I'm just saying they don't have the following, and thus the low price the OP is referring to, as other generations.

Last edited:

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you underestimate the value of convertibles. Though I like the way the coupes look, I would rather own a convertible. I did buy a removeable hardtop for my car - so I have the best of both worlds - but it just isn't the same if you can't put the top down. But that's why they make so many flavors. We can all get what we like.

Never once did I say that they could be had for 30k with low mileage, I said to me they wouldn't be worth it to me even if they were priced that low. Many people feel the same way. There's a reason gen 2 GTSs sell for close to a gen 3 vert even though the gen 3 is far superior mechanically. A lot of people aren't fans of the gen 3/4 vert styling. People are less bothered by the vert styling with a gen 4 because of other mechanical improvements to the car thus my comment about the gen 3s being black sheep. I'm not trying to say that no one wants them but the price that they usually sell for compared to gen 2s and 4s is not commensurate with their performance.

Look guys, I'm not saying gen 3s are crappy cars, I'm just saying they don't have the following, and thus the low price the OP is referring to, as other generations.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Personally speaking, i think they look a whole lot better then the clown shoe....lol

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. I like the looks of the coupe, but I love convertibles. It's just a different feeling to drop the top and go cruise. It's not for everyone, but to me it adds to the driving experience that the viper offers.

Top down, loud exhaust, plenty of power.

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I got my hardtop for my 09 GTS B/W it truly completed the look for me. It's almost like I have two Vipers. To me, the top-down experience is awesome. With the hardtop on, it just looks so sinister.
:D

datruodb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coupe guys have dark tinted windows. I throw the top down and show my pretty mug. Hell, I might even throw on a tank top..... Poor coupe guys, just buy sun block for your bald head.... It's cool.