Vipers vs ZO6 General Concerns

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Z06 project has been on “paper” for a long time. When I was at VOI 8 in Texas, I brought up the ZO6 at the Viper Tech Sessions held in the banquet rooms. I voiced my concern that on paper, the ZO6 appears to be faster than a Viper. Now the Z06 is hitting the street…as it appeared on paper and fast.

The Viper Engineers basically said that they would never give up being King of the Hill and that they had something for the Vette.

I asked if there ever would be a Hemi Head for the V10 Viper. It was almost like I said something I should not have. There were a few smiles and no definite answer.

The other concern was lack of aggressive styling. There again they claim to have a car that will “scare small children” from its aggressive looks. Where is this car?

Now there is talk about a more powerful Viper Coupe for 2007. If this is true, why even release a 2006? (Look at the 1983 Corvette that was never produced).

How about the latest issue of Sports Car International: They compare the Viper SRT to the Convertible C6 (not the faster ZO6) and they state “In just about every environment I can think of, the Corvette will chew up the Viper and spit out little snakey corn chips”.

I wish the SRT team could post on here and eliminate much of the second hand info

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Z06 project has been on “paper” for a long time. When I was at VOI 8 in Texas, I brought up the ZO6 at the Viper Tech Sessions held in the banquet rooms. I voiced my concern that on paper, the ZO6 appears to be faster than a Viper. Now the Z06 is hitting the street…as it appeared on paper and fast.

The Viper Engineers basically said that they would never give up being King of the Hill and that they had something for the Vette.

I asked if there ever would be a Hemi Head for the V10 Viper. It was almost like I said something I should not have. There were a few smiles and no definite answer.

The other concern was lack of aggressive styling. There again they claim to have a car that will “scare small children” from its aggressive looks. Where is this car?

Now there is talk about a more powerful Viper Coupe for 2007. If this is true, why even release a 2006? (Look at the 1983 Corvette that was never produced).

How about the latest issue of Sports Car International: They compare the Viper SRT to the Convertible C6 (not the faster ZO6) and they state “In just about every environment I can think of, the Corvette will chew up the Viper and spit out little snakey corn chips”.

I wish the SRT team could post on here and eliminate much of the second hand info

For a car that is supposedly going to come out in 2007, I'm not very surprised that they don't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet. Im hanging on to my SRT 10 for a good while until they decide to up the HP a newer version. Regardless, I am dissapointed with the looks of the new coupe..and its rear end. I might just end up keeping the srt 10. As for the Zo6...who keeps their car stock anyways? :laugh:

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Every environment? ***? Where the hell were they testing these cars? Desert plains of Cambodia? Tropical Forests of the Condor? Snow-capped mountains of Tibet? Upside pyramids in Timbuktu?

About the only "environment" a Convertible C6 would "chew up" a Viper would be inside that of an X BOX. Perhaps if you gave the controller controlling the Vette to some live at home with Momma computer game nerd and the other controller controlling the Viper to some short-bus, special-ed retard with an IQ the equivalent of an auto-enthusiast magazine writer, the Vette might win. Otherwise the Vette would lose about as poorly as these drivel-spewing magazine writers write.

Looks like I'll add "Sports Car International" to my list of auto magazines that make great toilet paper when I go camping.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

"Looks like I'll add "Sports Car International" to my list of auto magazines that make great toilet paper when I go camping."

:p :2tu:

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score

As for the Zo6...who keeps their car stock anyways? :laugh:

New Z06 owners...that's who. I don't imagine they'll be able to do much with those engines. Afterall, how much more can you get out of a 427 small block making 11:1 compression.

MatchboxMadeMyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Z06 owners...that's who. I don't imagine they'll be able to do much with those engines. Afterall, how much more can you get out of a 427 small block making 11:1 compression.

Hey.. they can always put those "phat" spinning while idle rims on their cars! and neone lights and probably fuzzy dice and a phat 50 inch exhaust.

don527

Enthusiast
Reaction score

With the forged internals, you could always stick a supercharger on it like the 'Blue Devil' Z06.

http://www.imageark.net/image.php?id=122345

7.40 around the Ring is not too shabby.

Don

don527

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey.. they can always put those "phat" spinning while idle rims on their cars! and neone lights and probably fuzzy dice and a phat 50 inch exhaust.

:headbang: that would be the setup. They could then pull their cars from road racing like LeMans and chase the Viper in the drifting series :2tu:

You must be registered for see images

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Every environment? ***? Where the hell were they testing these cars? Desert plains of Cambodia? Tropical Forests of the Condor? Snow-capped mountains of Tibet? Upside pyramids in Timbuktu?

About the only "environment" a Convertible C6 would "chew up" a Viper would be inside that of an X BOX. Perhaps if you gave the controller controlling the Vette to some live at home with Momma computer game nerd and the other controller controlling the Viper to some short-bus, special-ed retard with an IQ the equivalent of an auto-enthusiast magazine writer, the Vette might win. Otherwise the Vette would lose about as poorly as these drivel-spewing magazine writers write.

Looks like I'll add "Sports Car International" to my list of auto magazines that make great toilet paper when I go camping.

very well said!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those pesky Z06's don't concern me much. I do look though to see if a nice looking girl is driving. Something I don't do if I see a Viper (sorry to the few that actually do drive a Viper).

Many a time I have had a vette, usually a Z06, drive rapidly to catch up to me acting like they want to go at it. And as soon as they get close they back off. Go figure.

DT04R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car that just put up an official Ring time of 7:43 :)

Regardless of exclusivity, etc., etc., that's pretty damn impressive (the 2nd Gen runflats must be reasonably effective too!)

Cheers!

DT

Whats a Z06??? :p

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those pesky Z06's don't concern me much. I do look though to see if a nice looking girl is driving. Something I don't do if I see a Viper (sorry to the few that actually do drive a Viper).

Many a time I have had a vette, usually a Z06, drive rapidly to catch up to me acting like they want to go at it. And as soon as they get close they back off. Go figure.

lol, i know what you mean. Happens all the time.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

About the only "environment" a Convertible C6 would "chew up" a Viper would be inside that of an X BOX.

Nope, nope not even. Viper still better than the C6 in Forza. :D

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score

With the forged internals, you could always stick a supercharger on it like the 'Blue Devil' Z06.

Don

Won't they have to do a lot of internal changes to the stock Z to put on a supercharger. Can't stay at 11:1? :confused:

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don

Won't they have to do a lot of internal changes to the stock Z to put on a supercharger. Can't stay at 11:1? :confused:

I would think 11:1 would be too high

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Don

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Won't they have to do a lot of internal changes to the stock Z to put on a supercharger. Can't stay at 11:1?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Z06Diesel!

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don

Won't they have to do a lot of internal changes to the stock Z to put on a supercharger. Can't stay at 11:1?

Z06Diesel!

Even though the internals are forged, the pistons are not. At least, from what I read. They would need to be replaced for safety reasons.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I’m not positive but I believe that Blue Devil has lower compression pistons. That makes perfect sense doesn’t it? An engine that forces you to lower your HP before you can increase it. Maybe that’s why the Blue Devil only makes 600HP with a blower. SRT-10 engines with a blower make 700HP easy as-is.
Mark my words, there's not much more to be had from that 427 small block with 11:1. GM has blown their ***.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As for the Zo6...who keeps their car stock anyways? :laugh:

Yep Corvette owners NEVER mod their cars...........

For the record the C6-R that races Lemans uses the same block and heads as the C6 Z06. These cars are producing 800hp+ natually Aspirated, to say that this engine is maxed out is a fallacy.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don

Z06Diesel!

Even though the internals are forged, the pistons are not. At least, from what I read. They would need to be replaced for safety reasons.

The Blue Devil has 9:1 compression w/ forged pistons.

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don

Z06Diesel!

For a minute there I thought we were talking about the C6 Zo6, not vaporware tupper ware that has not been 100 % verified by anyone but the spy media. From the Zo6 press release.

The LS7's specifications include:
Unique cylinder block casting with large, 104.8-mm bores and pressed-in cylinder liners
Forged steel main bearing caps
Forged steel crankshaft
Titanium connecting rods with 101.6-mm stroke

Cast aluminum flat-top pistons

11.0:1 compression
Dry-sump oiling system
Camshaft with .591-inch lift
Racing-derived CNC-ported aluminum cylinder heads with titanium intake valves and sodium-filled exhaust valves
Titanium pushrods and valve springs
Low-restriction air intake system
Hydroformed exhaust headers with unique "quad flow" collector flanges

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yep Corvette owners NEVER mod their cars...........

For the record the C6-R that races Lemans uses the same block and heads as the C6 Z06. These cars are producing 800hp+ natually Aspirated, to say that this engine is maxed out is a fallacy.

Naturally aspirated is the key term you used here. If you take the EPA out of the equation, you can easily make that kind of power N/A. However, making it legal for the street, you bring the EPA back into the equation. Nobody’s gonna make 800HP outta that motor N/A and still pass EPA. They’re gonna have to blow it. In order to blow it, you’re back to square-1

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don

Z06Diesel!

For a minute there I thought we were talking about the C6 Zo6, not vaporware tupper ware that has not been 100 % verified by anyone but the spy media. From the Zo6 press release.

Unique cylinder block casting with large, 104.8-mm bores and pressed-in cylinder liners
Forged steel crankshaft

Dry-sump oiling system
Racing-derived CNC-ported aluminum cylinder heads with titanium intake valves and sodium-filled exhaust valves

Someone mention about a blower on the Z06 this I replied GM lowered the compression of the Blue Devil.

I NEVER said it was a production car or that it will be. All I stated was the Blue Devil prototype currently has a 9:1 compression.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Naturally aspirated is the key term you used here. If you take the EPA out of the equation, you can easily make that kind of power N/A. However, making it legal for the street, you bring the EPA back into the equation. Nobody’s gonna make 800HP outta that motor N/A and still pass EPA. They’re gonna have to blow it. In order to blow it, you’re back to square-1

I agree, but keep in mind not all states have EPA testing, besides I'm sure most will throw on Nitrous before lowering the compression. Atleast I would...

DT04R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howdy!

Given the pretty high flow of the LS7 heads (reported to be 360I/214E), and the unbelievably mild OEM cam (for a 427ci motor), I suspect we'll see some 500-525rwhp cam only (with a reasonably stout cam), and 525-550[rwhp] cam, headers (1-7/8 - 2" primaries) and some tuning (maybe an airbox upgrade).

I would suggest too, that anyone dropping 70 large on a C6/Z06, and another 6-10K on a FI solution, *probably* isn't going to sweat another few K for the labor and parts to swap out to some low compression, forged pistons (all other components seem pretty strong from the tech specs). More effort? Sure! More money? Incrementally based on the car + blower or TT, not really.

Of course this is all aftermarket, no warranty, take-your-chances type performance (just like bolting a Paxton up to a Viper) - the performance of the car, as it sits, bone stock should be pretty competitive, especially on track, with the combination of HP, weight, cooling, handling and braking.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I agree, but keep in mind not all states have EPA testing, besides I'm sure most will throw on Nitrous before lowering the compression. Atleast I would...

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Sure, every state is different but to be able to sell the car, you have to meet EPA guidelines set by the feds.

Anyway, the SRT-10 engine that’s being used in performance boats is making 650HP at the crank. The only real thing they’ve done to that motor is eliminate the EPA from the equation. Marine engines, just like race car engines, do not have to comply with any EPA standards. Eliminating only the EPA from a Viper engine is worth 100-150HP.

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don

Z06Diesel!

Forged steel crankshaft

Dry-sump oiling system

Someone mention about a blower on the Z06 this I replied GM lowered the compression of the Blue Devil.

I NEVER said it was a production car or that it will be. All I stated was the Blue Devil prototype currently has a 9:1 compression.

My fault then. You replied directly to my post originally, so I thought you were disputing the fact that the factory Zo6 came with Cast pistons.