VIR Race Report from a Rookie

KIKNVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just returned from Viper Days for my 3rd WTW race ever. What an awesome experience! THought I'd share with ya'll a few insights at what this was all about...from a mid-pack, rookie racer.

Arrived at VIR on Thursday evening after a 875 mile, one helluva long day tow from Chicago. CB broke while loading the car, Indiana fog slowed me down to a crawl. Not a good start for this trip. Never realized there were so many hills/mountains in West Virginia and Virginia. What is the "overdrive" button for anyway on the Durango?? I also had the fortunate experience of meeting Kentucky's finest on the Highway. Who gives a Viper guy a break?? To this day, I still don't know why he let me go. Finally managed to actually get myself lost, 10 miles from the Hotel. Forgot to map out the most important part: where was the **** hotel, and parking lot for my rig.

Friday morning, 10 short miles to the track, everything unloaded, for a day of practice. Sunshine, and only about 30 cars for the morning practice. Have a wing and splitter on the car for the first time, so need to shake down the car..how will it handle through the uphill esses..normally taken at about 120 mph??? THe car feels great, but I'm driving slow. Not sure why. I decide to hitch a ride in Barry's 70'ish porshe turbo, which can run with the best of them. VIR is Barry's home track.
Holy b'jesus..can this guy drive. I hang on, and get a bit religious as his car slids off the track, when his tires exceeded the laws of physics. A 2300 pound car, with 400hp and goodyear slicks can really rock.

Barry's ride woke me up. Without even taking off my helmet, I jump back into my car, and I'm cooking. I see Dave Held, and tuck in behind him for about 5 laps of nose to tail running. Later I found out we were running in the 2:08's, which was 4 seconds faster than last year. I'm thrilled. By day's end, I burn up more than a full tank of fuel, and nearly 60 laps around the track..or 200 miles. Not bad for only $150 for a test N. tune day! Thank you Skip! I think I'm ready for the Sat. race.

Sat: arrive at the track 7 am. No boozing the night before. I see some hung over faces..these guys will be in trouble later. Swap some tires, check all car vitals, fill fuel, and get ready for first practice session. Everyone is excited. About 20 cars run on the track for our first session. It's getting hot in the car, but luckily, the duct I rigged up is blowing some air against my body. Sweat is starting to drip into my contacts..have to deal with this one somehow. Overall, managed mid-pack times, and I'm satisfied. By late morning, the temp is rising, and times are getting faster. My car is running very hot, and I'm getting concerned. Don't want to lose the motor!

The race: the race was scheduled for a 4:30 pm start. I qualified around 10th. THis was to be a sprint practice race, only 10 laps. Sounds easy...maybe not. Sitting in the hot pits was brutal, waiting for the race to start. With the race suit, helmet, gloves, neck role, etc. I'm burning up. Where is the breeze??? The three minutes I sat there waiting to pull outa the pits seemed like 30 years. I thought the 10 pounds I lost, and miles I've run would help...nope!

We finally get moving, for a one lap warm-up. Don't want to wack the car in front of me, warming up the tires and brakes. We make it around the 3.4 mile track, and I'm ready, in 3rd gear, with one foot over the brake, and the other, on the gas. Damnnn...we drove by the starter again...why i think??? We go around for a second warm-up lap..finally...the green flag drops. I dive in the inside lane and protect my position, as all the cars are bunched up. We are really close together, but I worked hard to distance the cars behind me. Some fast guys were grided at the end (Skip and Chris Barone), so I keep my eyes peeled for them. Sure enough, I look into my mirror, and here comes Chris, barreling down the back straight at about 160 into the braking zone. Rather than duel him, and drive myself off the track in the process, I lift, and let him go. I sink into a steady, but swift pace (for me), and look for the cars ahead. Skip comes by, and same story: lift and let him go. We wave and part ways.

I approach a really cool Porshe Supercup car, driven by AJ from CA. This is one cool ride. Man can this guy brake. Followed him for a few laps, looking for weaknesses. Bingo..find it, and managed to draft him down the long straight, and pass him prior to the brake zone. He chases me for the rest of the race, but can't regain his position. The checker drops, and our race is over. My engine temp is buried..not good. Manage to cool the car down. My race suit is soated from sweat. I'm elated. Didn't go off track or hit anything, and finished 8th! Gulp down some water, and put the car away for the night.

Sun: slept well, and no booze. Arrive at the track at 6:45 am. Swap tires, bleed brakes. Have to find a way to cool the car. Tried "burping" the motor, water wetter, etc. **** . Not working. Nothing seems to help. Glad I had fresh engine oil.

I find out we will have a 23 lap race that will run just under an hour. Never done that before! I begun to worry: how am i gonna last that long. THe temp is supposed to get up to around 90 or so. Will the motor last?? More importantly, can I concentrate that long?

I qualified 11th, and was positioned behind 4 cars which were all very close in qualifying. 30 minutes before race time, I'm hotter than hell, just walking around the pits. I broke out into a major sweat just tightening up the lug nuts. How am I gonna put on the race suit, helmet, and last an hour?? I sat down in a buddy's trailer in front of a big ole fan for 20 minutes (thank you Roy and Nancy), slowly put on my gear, and got into the car, with some ice water handy in the car.

Here we go...the green flag drops, and were screaming down the front straight. I tuck in behind Lenny from Jersey, and looking for an opportunity. Bingo...he goes wide, and I dive in. I actually passed a car! I see Dave Held and Joe Bliss up ahead, and manage to catch up. With about 15 laps left, I decide to stalk from behind for a while, let them wear out some tires, brakes vying for position. After a few laps, Joe passed Dave, but I stay back. That was hard to do. I remain patient, and at about lap 14, Dave misses a shift,and I'm gone. Oh no...full course yellow! Dave comes back, and we go around a few laps. Still yellow..no passing allowed... all of a sudden, down the main straight, i see Dave on the inside accelerating rapidly. I think to myself..he can't pass, it's yellow. **** ...the green had dropped ahead and his radio man called to him. Adel, who was ahead of me, sees Dave coming, and closes the door on his inside pass. All the while, with foot to the floor, I go to the outside, and Adel and I go two wide through the corner, until I finally take the lead.

I see Joe ahead,and make my final charge. I think I can catch him, but running outa time. As I approached the "Oak Tree" corner, I was so close, but forgot to blip the trottle into 2nd gear, and the car fish tails, but stays on track. It's over. I won't catch him now. I later learn Joe passed a car under yellow, and would lose a few race positions. He finished 5th.

The funny part of this race, though, was the last lap. I passed Skip, Mike MCann, and John Weigel who all ran outa gas! It was like the tortose and the hare. For once, having a GEN I car, with a 22 gallon fuel tank paid off. I waved at each one, as I drove by (probably the only time this year). The checker flag dropped, and a sign was put up in front of me: IMPOUND. What was that? Only the top 5 cars were to go to impound for weigh-in/scale. I thought this was a joke. Anyway, I carefully drove over to the scales, and Tony Estes holds up 3 fingers. I think, what is he trying to tell me? Never seen that sign before. **** ...I came in 3rd place. I still don't believe him.

I drove back to the pits, still in disbelief, and my engine is now smoking. I pull off the hood, and holy moly, I blew the power steering cap clear off the pump. It was resting on my side sill. That cap was screwed on so tight before the race. I guess all the heat and vibration loosened it up. WOW.

The final race results come out, and sure enough, Tony's 3 fingers told the story. I loaded the trailer, and headed home. It was the easiest 875 mile road trip, I ever drove.

Skip, Linda, Courtney, and Tracy Thomas put on a first class event. Viper Days is an amazing experience. My only disappointment is that I have to wait 10 more days to do this again at Road America!

Hope ya'll enjoyed this story.
Tell me if you want one after Road America.
Sorry about the long length.

regards.
seth, the "Rookie"

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome Seth,

Great story! And you deserve it!

You have lots of people cheering for you behind the scenes. Keep it up.

Viper Days is awesome.

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seth:

Great write-up!!!! You're like a Viperdays version of Rudy! (just kidding)

Glad to hear to had so much fun, did it safely, and really achieved something special (3rd place amongst those cars is amazing).

Hope to see you at Putnam...

Rich

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great story and congrats on the 3rd place finish. We sure could use more posts like that on this board. I'll look forward to you post after Road America.

Ken Diemer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From everyone at Autoform, Congratulations!!! The guys are always cheering you on in your Gen 1 Viper(except when you are trying to pass Dave Held!
smile.gif
)It sounds like the Autoform Splitter and Spoiler are working for you. I hope you have a great time at Road America!

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seth man,
Great action, glad you took a spot for us rookies, but watch out the ol Red , white and Blue Oreca machine is back together and Im coming to kick your butt....guess I better get a bigger tank....sure had to be fun waving as you past all the guys who ran out of gas....GREAT JOB!

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congratulations SuperStud!

I miss the good ole days when we used to run together... but you're doing the Gen-1 owners proud!!

Definitely need you to ride with me for a few laps at Road America again this year.

(Tittle, my brakes ARE coming... right??)

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DavidB,

Getting very close. Also have the best box that even UPS can't destroy.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Talk to you soon.

Seth,

How did your brakes hold up for the event. With 3rd place they must have done alright. Any details?

Tittle

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great update Seth! Keep them coming. Feels like I was there. Dave's got you for a few laps at RA, and I'd like you to continue my Driver's ed at Putnam Park in Sept. If anyone is going to Viper Days at Road America in Aug. Seth's driving the black and silver #38. Stop by and say hello. He'll probably recruit you for his pit crew!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Boy, am I egg-sited about anouncing the raz at Road America!! I will have a new repetoire of Palatnik pundits.
Let's see:

".... and powerful Palatnik, nicks under Thomas, and Skips into the lead!"
"... here comes Super Seth behind the Black and Red beast of Mike , and can he pass him? He sure McCann!"
"... and the Super Platypuss is going for the lead, but he is being HELD back. Git the heck out of the way, Dave!"
" ... getting 3rd at his last race was sheer Bliss for Plattnick, though for Joe is was Bliss-less!"

Pretty nauseating , huh?
Great race, buddy, and I am saving the best for Elkhart Lake, ha!

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard Seth wrote all this as he was driving! WOW! He is the man! ....lol....just bustin on ya buddy, and they thought us rookies had no talent?

OP
OP
K

KIKNVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank y'all for your kind words.

Based on popular demand, and some funny emails, I will publish summaries after each of the remaining WTW Viper Days events. Can't promise any podium finishes (don't expect any more), but will humor ya'll with honest feedback of what it's like for a first timer trying to hang with the big dogs.

Those who tell you this WTW stuff is easy...lie.
Those who tell you it is the most exciting experience..tell the truth.

Will be glad to share with anyone tips on Road America. I plan to be there for the drive arounds, which start around 7 am on the practice day. Been to RA about 10 times. Stop by... black/silver stripes, #38.

Hey Hartley..bring that pig to RA..and we'll see how you do.
I'll supply a tow rope to drag you around.

Title..brakes work great..thanks. No brake fade, and easy maintenance. Prop valve is now key. Autoform..the light weight body and wing/splitter combo are awesome..thanks guys. Hope to make ya'll proud. Shapiro..need you for pit crew. Take work off (only 2 days),how much do you lose??.. but will buy you lunch. Dave B.- glad to ride with ya.

regards.
seth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte