Virginia Cruise and Pig Roast, August 2nd

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On August 2nd 2008 Greg Nagel and I will be hosting the 4th Annual Viper Cruise and Pig Roast. This event is free including the food. A small pig will feed up to 70 people, so we want a good turnout. Feel free to bring friends but please RSVP if you can so we can get a good head count.

Details at WELCOME TO THE VIPER PAGE

We will meet for the first cruise between 9:00 and 10:00 AM at the Spotsylvania Mall parking lot next to Logan's Roadhouse (address below) in Fredericksburg VA. The cruise will start at 10:00 AM. The first cruise will end at the Antique Market parking lot in Sperryville (address below). We will meet others there for another cruise over scenic Rt211 to Greg's home (address below)in Linden VA. This second cruise will depart at 11:30 AM. We should arrive at Greg's home between 12:00 and 1:00 PM. The pig should be ready for ingesting between 1:00 and 2:00 PM.

There is no need to attend all cruises. If you desire to do just the second cruise or just the lunch simply meet us at those destinations at the appropriate times. If someone would like to organize a caravan to the second cruise in Sperryville please feel free. Please mapquest or GPS the addresses for your best directions. The cruise routes are on the webpage. The only traffic issues may be I-66 west for those traveling from DC and MD. For those not interested in pork there will also be BBQ chicken as well as side dishes. Please bring your own chairs if possible as seating may be limited. Greg's house is also within an hour of PA and WV, so other regions are welcome to come out. You can get additional details at the webpage WELCOME TO THE VIPER PAGE If you have any questions feel free to contact me by email at, [email protected] or Greg Nagel at [email protected].

This event is free so come out and enjoy a Saturday with some of the most beautiful cars on the east coast and a great lunch to boot!

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted to add what the definition of a small hog is. The minimum size I can order for my cooker is an 80lb dressed weight. We also plan about 30lbs of barbecue chicken, with all the sides and desserts and beverages. All regions are welcome if your up to the drive. There is plenty of local area hotels if its far for you. This is going to be a great cruise, and a big pig out (pardon the pun). Here is a pic of the last hog I cooked. If you have never been to a Carolina Style pig pullen (albeit in Virginia) you have to come out. Oh ya, plenty of parking for you folks. Easy 50 to 60 cars in the front yard, and more around back if more shows.

- Greg Nagel

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Greg - I'm REALLY hoping I'm going to make it but I won't know for sure until early that week. There's a good chance my daughter will be swimming in an all-star meet that same Saturday and I can't miss that if she makes the cut.

If she swims early on the schedule, I might just drive out in a convoy of 1. There's Carolina BBQ in my blood so I would hate to miss out on that pig.

Kumusta hoy to your better half.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in for both cruises and lunch +1. Is this a rain or shine event?

Thanks guys sounds like a hoot!

I cooked a pig during the last Hurricane that rolled through, so rain won't stop me. If it rains and folks don't want to drive a cruise in it then bring your daily drivers on out to the house because babe is going in the cooker regardless.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Batboy

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in for the roast at a minimum. I'll call the cruise depending on the weather. If it is calling for really bad rain we'll call it. Otherwise, I'll probably stilldo the cruise. I'll let everyone know one way or the other.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folks - I just ordered up a 110lb hog for this event and I have 50lbs of chicken ready for marinating to go on the grill. All the sides and desserts will be there as well. Just need folks to show up and eat this feast. Please let us know if your coming so we can plan accordingly. Thanks in advance.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howard and I have already talked. I sent Bernie a PM, but he's always traveling. I'm sure we'll all get together on this at the last minute! My sis is coming with her girls, so I'll have a caravan no matter what...hope her 4-****** Caliber can keep up!!!

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howard and I have already talked. I sent Bernie a PM, but he's always traveling. I'm sure we'll all get together on this at the last minute! My sis is coming with her girls, so I'll have a caravan no matter what...hope her 4-****** Caliber can keep up!!!

Do you know any of the Norfolk folks yet? Maybe they can caravan up with you too...

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only met a couple of them at VIR, but I'm willing to meet up with them nearby and we can all ride up. I'll see what I can put together.

To anyone heading up to the Pig Roast through Richmond, let me know and we can arrange a meeting point up here to caravan up. There are several areas around here that can accomodate a group meeting spot.

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad to hear you'll be there! And no problem, just stick the smallest in the boot of the coupe!!! :lmao:

Can't wait to see you there!

Have a contest to see who can make the most creative hood-ornament pose....the loser gets to practice on the drive out. :D

See, this is why I keep coming to this forum. You can't get helpful advise like this just anywhere. :bonker:

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See, this is why I keep coming to this forum. You can't get helpful advise like this just anywhere. :bonker:

Like you don't dish out such hand advice? Okay, fine...get a nice, strong rope, and pull the 5th behind the coupe like a waterskier! I figure at 1180rwhp, they're feet should never touch the ground!:omg:

OP
OP
Batboy

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a pretty good turnout. We're looking at maybe 30 cars and 50 people for the roast. We have about 9 or 10 cars for the Fredericksburg cruise point. Those include a Lotus Elise, SRT10 Ram (Bryon's), and a Pantera! Oh and 6 Vipers to boot. If you can make it this should be a good one.

Weather is sketchy at the moment with a 30% chance of rain. Check back for status. I will do the cruise rain or shine, but I might not be in the Viper if those percentages go up. See everyone there!

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm bringing 3-4 Vipers up from Richmond, so that may add to your total in Spotsy! I'll also have my sister and her kids in my dd (it's an Acura, don't get excited).

But I'm with Bat, if the probability or rain goes up, we all may be in the dd for the cruise!

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wilbur is in the cooker. Has been for 2.5 hours now. He was a big boy (120 lbs live on the hoove) and he is (was, sorry Wilbur) the biggest hog I have jammed in the cooker to date. It will be a long night for me (you cannot rush good authentic b-q) The cooker is set at 195 right now with Oak as fuel followed by a bit of hickory every now and then. I should be flipping him around 9:30 tonight and will then start to bring up the temp to 215 for the remainder of the cook. During the last two hours of it I plan to throw in some Keeava wood from Hawaii. He should come out of the Grill somewhere around 12:30'ish tomorrow for pulling in to the pans. This will be some real fall off the bone B-Q guys. Going to be a feats and obviously since the pig is in the cooker now it will be a rain or shine event. If it rains and you don't want to drive the snakes which is understandable, then come on out in the DD cars please.

OP
OP
Batboy

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At this point the odds of hitting rain are pretty good. I see a band that doesn't look like it's going to miss us. The good news is the band isn't very long. Having said that if you don't see my silver/blue Viper look for a green Toyota Tacoma pickup, but I'm still leaning towards the Viper.