VOI 7 musings and a thought for #8

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reading the reactions to Nashville, reminds me that even rational individuals can still debate the choice between vacationing in Detroit vs Nashville. Of course, there are folks on this board who would start a fight in an empty room. For those of us who travel for a living, the idea of redirecting this effort out of the motor city simply meant that someone had sobered up. Having first seen the Detroit possibility, I was concerned that VOI 8 might well be in Newark (where frankly, the roads are better)Having now successfully p~#$%ed off anyone who lives near Detroit or Newark, let me now provide my unsolicited recommendation for VOI8----RICHMOND VA. If the snickers have now died down, I will explain. We have a wonderful 5 star hotel--The Jefferson which is gorgeous. One of the best race tracks in the US--RIR which year in and out is considered by Winston Cup drivers to be in the top 2-3 of their favorite tracks (and now, Indy runs here). We can do day trips to the mountains--in Charlottesville--Blue Ridge PKWY, or to historic Williamsburg--great outlet stores. You can fly into Richmond, Norfolk or any of the DC airports.Great local history including Civil War battlefields, museums and the like. Just a thought.............

DRYVEM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This should be a hot topic! I would like to see a WEST COAST location for VOI-8. Mostly because it is where I am located and the VOI-6 and VOI-7 have been East of the Rockies. The West coast has several good locations (Seattle, Portland, Bay Area ETC...) most have tracks nearby and lots to do (mountains, beach etc.) Just my .02
Barbara

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget the complimentary contingent of 10 hound dogs that will happily place themselves under your trailer as you roll into Richmond's finest RV Park 'N Gas, errrrr 5 star hotel. Hey, if I make the trip to Dixie do I get a free "Wine 'Em Dine 'Em 69 'Em" one-size-fits-all trucker's cap?

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I vote for Richmond, VA.
Heck, I could drive there.
bounce.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
bounce.gif

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my own selfish reasons for a detroit VOI. Namely, I'll have only had my car for a few short months and I'd only have to drive about 30 miles instead of 3 states...

Sigh. Big mileage, no whammy......STOP

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would be wrong with the following idea;

We as VCA members vote on future VOI cities through our local clubs, then the VCA can talley the votes and pick 3 to 5 locations from that list, in essence creating a short list.

We(the VCA or designated club members) then contact the appropriate hotels and race facilities in these cities to seek out the best deals. Believe me, there is power in numbers and these hotels/tracks would all love the press associated with 1000 Vipers and the income potential for the local community.

Let the best town win. Do this for each VOI. The savings could be tremendous, which those dollars could be used to make these events more affordable and exciting for all of us. I for one love going to VOI's but am torn by having to leave my kids at home while I take my family vacation time to attend these events. Some of the savings by NEGOTIATING a better deal could be used for such things as Day-Care, travel assistance for those shipping their vipers over long distances, coupons to spend on items at these events and so on.

Just my $ .02...........as Id treat each club members time and money as if it were my own.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge solicited suggestions for a site for VOI7 from the attendees. I would expect that there will be a similar solicitation for a site for VOI8 -- after VOI7 is history. Organizing such a large event is a full-time job, and there are many factors which must be taken into consideration. I see no harm in the VCA conducting a survey of its members for a site for VOI8, but let's leave it at that -- just a suggested site. Our VCA officers have plenty to do, and I certainly don't want to dump the task of organizing something as elaborate as a VOI on them. (Heck, they already do all the Regional Rendezvous.) Besides, VOI is Dodge's event. Since they're footing the bill, they get to pick a time and place. I don't think that's so unfair.

OP
OP
viperdrummer

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Ron, Dodge underwrites a lot of this, and the logistics are a lot more difficult than than someone like me suggesting out of hand Richmond or elsewhere. You have to have a good, large hotel, decent airport, somewhat central location, good highways, AND great racing facility. Richmond passes on most criteria and with its surrounding area , is terrific.A good race facility knocks out many an otherwise good locale. I think Nashville will be a good choice. There are others. Unlike some, I loved VEGAS . Phoenix would be good. Dallas would be OK. Both have good tracks. Chicago might work. Charlotte would work well. I have done the Petty school there and I work with some Cup drivers who live there. It is a racing mecca!!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kid97GTS:
Hey, if I make the trip to Dixie do I get a free "Wine 'Em Dine 'Em 69 'Em" one-size-fits-all trucker's cap?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Yep, you sure will
laugh.gif

Richmond sounds great! Of course I'm biased...

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, since we are all wanting it to be near our hometown and all... I vote for Spring Hill, Florida..... We have a decent Motel 8 and a Chilis. Couple nearby racetracks, etc...

hehe

Gerald

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang