VOTE FOR THE SRT-10 COUPE VS Z06 AT C&D!

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dsr207 --

That yellow vette you posted is just a regular C6. The Z06 has a hood scoop making it look even more like the SRT-10!!

You must be registered for see images

It must be symbolic that the first Z06 was run in blue -- I'm surprised they didn't add white stripes! :rolleyes:

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelley blue book, trade in value:
2004 Z06 excellent condition 6000 miles = $36,525.00 :confused:
2003[04 not yet listed}excellent condition 6000 miles = $67,300.00 ;) mmmm
Z06 listed for about $61,000.00 new

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelley blue book, trade in value:
2004 Z06 excellent condition 6000 miles = $36,525.00 :confused:
2003[04 not yet listed}excellent condition 6000 miles = $67,300.00 ;) mmmm
Z06 listed for about $61,000.00 new

How much does KBB say a 96 GTS is worth????

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason I am so critical is because I care and want to see the car live on and not get canned. Do you want automotive history to go back and say something to the extent of that Dodge tried become amperica's sports car but over time proved to be no match to the vette??? I sure as hell don't.

DC is fumbling around with a poor offering and the public can see that. They have completely lost direction and I am really worried that this is the last generation we are going to see of this car.

I've never discussed Craig's opinion with him but I saw his motives from the start. Somebody needs to keep a fire lit under Dodge and it sure as hell aint gonna be the posers.

The future 427 Vette will probably catch the current Viper. Dodge needs to up the ante. If they don't the Z0X will beat the Viper in sales...if that overbored 350 doesn't crack.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig --

Now you've got Mr. Shelby mad at you! Just because some Corvette guys copied his color scheme in '63 . . . come on!! :D

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote: How much does KBB say a 96 GTS is worth????
$28,200.00 for 96 GTS :laugh:
$9,575.00 for 96 vette coupe :eek:
Both with 15000 miles and excellent condition..that is if you can find a 96 vette in excellent condition and you would be willing to sell your GTS that cheap knowing it's worth a lot more.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote: How much does KBB say a 96 GTS is worth????
$28,200.00 for 96 GTS :laugh:
$9,575.00 for 96 vette coupe :eek:
Both with 15000 miles and excellent condition..that is if you can find a 96 vette in excellent condition and you would be willing to sell your GTS that cheap knowing it's worth a lot more.

That's my point, KBB does not reflect ACTUAL MARKET VALUE!

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True to a point,,.many people buy the vette because they can afford it and not because it's a better car. Craig park your GTS next to any ZO6 on the planet and see which one is admired more... :usa:

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig --

Pull your head out -- if you want to really learn about the origins of blue, I'll be happy to school you. In the meantime if you want to be disrespectful to the traditional Shelby/Viper color scheme just to be provocative, then I guess I'll have to join the chorus of members urging that we all boycott responding to your posts.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig --

Pull your head out -- if you want to really learn about the origins of blue, I'll be happy to school you. In the meantime if you want to be disrespectful to the traditional Shelby/Viper color scheme just to be provocative, then I guess I'll have to join the chorus of members urging that we all boycott responding to your posts.

I was merely pointing out that fact that blue has a historical connection to the vette as well. The Viper only has history dating back to 89 and was inspired by something having to do with FORD. OMG the car is blue, they are surely ripping off dodge :rolleyes:

If you'll care to notice, GM's launch color for the Z06 is yellow.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, we should give up. This young punk from Canada has all the answers. He obviously is much more learned in the automotive field than any of us.

So why should we argue with this young genius?

Hey Craig, given your penchant for criticism, have you thought about getting a job with an OEM. I am sure that they are pounding on the door for the new automotive God!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, we should give up. This young punk from Canada has all the answers. He obviously is much more learned in the automotive field than any of us.

So why should we argue with this young genius?

Hey Craig, given your penchant for criticism, have you thought about getting a job with an OEM. I am sure that they are pounding on the door for the new automotive God!

I've already spent a year working for an OEM *******.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True to a point,,.many people buy the vette because they can afford it and not because it's a better car. Craig park YOUR GTS next to any ZO6 on the planet and see which one is admired more... :usa:

Which one?
Pic from Craigs "garage"!

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C6 Z06 for me. Probably not enough to make me sell my 01 Z06 and 99 GTS, but the engineering direction of the new Z06 appeals to me much more then the engineering direction of Dodge - meaning lighter weight, more power, better brakes for the Corvette versus slapping a roof on an SRT-10.

The whole argument about 'it's just a Corvette' or they make 30,000 Corvettes a year means nothing too me. It's the car I care about.

BTW, I think the SRT-10 is an all around better car then my GTS AND cooler then my C5 Z06, but adding a roof just isn't enough to stay ahead of the C6 Z06.

Jim

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
more power, better brakes for the Corvette versus slapping a roof on an SRT-10.

More power than a Viper? HP is the same and the Vette falls 50lbs short in TQ. And that torque is spread over a wide power band.

Better brakes? Doubt it. As good maybe, not better. The less weight is what will help the Vette stop better...if it does.

The lighter weight is a big plus for the Vette, but the Viper's 50 ftlbs more torque make up the difference.

I'm all for lighting a fire under Dodge to up the ante but I aint rollin' over the SRT for no Vette just yet.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you work for an OEM eh Craig? I presume that means it is a competitor to DaimlerChrysler, as your comments here would not be a positive on a DC resume.

So if it is for a competitor why would you think you are in a position to be unbiased?

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mean more power then the C5 Z06, as in an advancement over the current model - not more power then the Viper.

And I don't see any advancement in the Viper Coupe over the 2003 model year SRT-10. Come on Dodge, get with the program. Owner loyalty just isn't enough for me.

Jim

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:Owner loyalty just isn't enough for me.
Jim
What made corvette guys stick by GM all this time knowing there are better cars out there....Loyalty...They waited 15 years for the C6 Z06...

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dsr207 --

Good job of getting those pics lined up. I tried to pick the one out of your cluster for my post, but they came as a group.

The only reason I knew that the pic of the Vette you originally posted wasn't a Z06 is that I made the same mistake on another post myself. :p

Crazy how similar they look, isn't it?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mean more power then the C5 Z06, as in an advancement over the current model - not more power then the Viper.

Sorry Jim. There's so much talk about how the new Vette will walk a SRT I wasn't sure which camp you were in.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you work for an OEM eh Craig? I presume that means it is a competitor to DaimlerChrysler, as your comments here would not be a positive on a DC resume.

So if it is for a competitor why would you think you are in a position to be unbiased?

The OEM I did work for is not in direct competition with DC.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I voted for the Viper but have to tell you that I had the slightest bit of hesitation. I know, I know - just what in the hell was I thinking? Well, if you remember what finally convinced me to make the switch from the GTS to my 2003 SRT-10, it was after getting some actual seat time in the SRT at VOI 7 in Nashville. I was never that crazy about the looks, as it just didn't have the impact that I thought I had with the GTS. Great looking car (and still is), but not the direction I would have taken with the exterior design. Once I got behind the wheel and experienced the incredible handling and braking, I was sold - not to mention the fit and finish. Despite my love of the GTS bodystyle (over the SRT Coupe as well), I would never go back - at least if I could only own one Viper.

Enter the new Z06. Do I think the over-bored 350 is likely to have problems? With those ultra-thin cylinder walls - you betcha. Do I think it will beat the SRT-10 in it's current form? Yes. In every single category. Even braking. Take the recent testing in Toad & Crack magazine for the "Best All Around Sports Car". With incredible bias towards the Chevy, the C6 (not even the Z06) took 1st place - vs a distant 6th for the Viper. Some numbers:

.......................................... C6 ................. SRT-10

60-0 Braking ..................... 110 ft ................... 112 ft
100 - 0 Braking ................. 194 ft ................... 197 ft
0-60 Acceleration ............. 4.5 sec .................. 4.0 sec
1/4 mile .......................... 12.8 sec ................ 12.1 sec
Buttonwillow lap time ......... 66.32 ................... 66.60
Curb weight ..................... 3290 lbs .................3420 lbs

And remember, this is a for stock vs. stock with the same driver. And the Vette is 100 less horsepower and 125 less torque. Make up the horsepower difference, bump up the torque, beef up the brakes, and drop the weight for the Z06 and I won't be the first to say that you will have a handful. The Z06 will have a better HP to weight ratio than the SRT-10. It even weighs less than a Ferrari Enzo.

Still doubt it? Don't forget that I recently got to "play" with a new Carrera S - which makes an anemic 355 HP and 295 ft lbs of torque. The SRT makes almost DOUBLE the torque (504 at the rear tires). Yet the Porsche proved to be a handful for the SRT, and after reading the Toad & Crack testing, I can see why:

.................................. Porsche Carrera S .......... SRT-10

60-0 Braking ..................... 108 ft ................... 112 ft
100 - 0 Braking ................. 184 ft ................... 197 ft
0-60 Acceleration ............. 3.9 sec .................. 4.0 sec
1/4 mile .......................... 12.3 sec ................ 12.1 sec
Buttonwillow lap time ......... 66.71 ................... 66.60
Curb weight ..................... 3300 lbs .................3420 lbs

Now let me retract one thing on the Z06 regarding winning in all categories: The two areas where it will not beat the SRT (convertible or coupe) is in looks or exclusivity. So then the question becomes whether you want to spend an extra $20K for that exclusivity and marginally better looks (they look so similar it is almost a draw). As grandma cleans your clock with her traction control while you sit there and spin your tires in your oh-so-exclusive Dodge.

Now before you start working to revoke my VCA membership or, God forbid, make me bunk with Craig in the clubhouse, realize that I am one of the most fierce believers in all things Viper. I am the LAST guy to dare spend an extra nickle on anything unless I believed in it 110%. Likewise the absurd amount of time I devote to the Viper Club - I wouldn't bother if I thought the Vette was in my immediate future. My point is simply this and echoes Jim exactly: Brand loyalty can only get you so far. There is no clear-cut winner in the new SRT vs. Z06 war and that is unlikely to change when the car is actually on the streets. Dodge MUST create a reason to spend that extra $20,000 besides exclusivity. The very harsh reality is that if the SRT continues "as is", then that exclusivity will be even greater: Everybody will be buying the Z06 instead.

And that, my good friends, is why the vote count sits as it does. Whew!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang