VOTE FOR THE SRT-10 COUPE VS Z06 AT C&D!

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well you did mention something about the 'two cars looking so similar' so maybe it's a good thing you've chosen to go with black for the Corvette. You probably won't be mistaking it for your VCA edition yellow SRT-10 anytime soon. ;)

You are still keeping the Viper, eh?

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good post Chris. Yes, I think that brand loyalty will take you far. Atleast as far as you can throw it.

The Viper has history and legacy. Irregardless if less than the Vette and no matter how poorly managed by DC. Porsche, Ferrari and the like have been battling the overpriced (arguementative) cliches for years. It does not impede their sales consequentially (Boxter included).

The Z06 represent merely another choice at a similar price point. How many $60-80k domestic ~exotics~ were available pre 2002. Save Cadillac, any three fingered carpenter could count them. Succinctly, there are tens of zillions of reasons to choose either.

The Viper is a high end brand. The Vette is not. Never was intended to be. I have heard many a time "Wow,is that a Viper?" During my C5 days, I never heard "Wow, is that a Corvette?" There was no shock, nor was there awe. Call me a poser, but I buy a car for performance and emotion that it draws from me. If it draws that same emotion from others, thats neat too.

Track performance (of which I am no authority) is speculated to be similar. Let the guys who do the REAL racing decide which is the better car for them. For a guy like me, the Dodge Viper is so much more than just a pumped up version of a commonplace car that I see 4x a day.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can find a Car & Driver test that had the SRT breaking less than 100' and under 4 sec 0-60s. So what? Better driver,track conditions, ect. That's why posting those test numbers really proves nothing and why they vary so much from mag to mag.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
The Viper is a high end brand. The Vette is not. Never was intended to be. I have heard many a time "Wow,is that a Viper?" During my C5 days, I never heard "Wow, is that a Corvette?" There was no shock, nor was there awe. Call me a poser, but I buy a car for performance and emotion that it draws from me. If it draws that same emotion from others, thats neat too.
Bless you....the end.
Mike
P.S:"Dodge MUST create a reason to spend that extra $20,000 besides exclusivity" Y2K5SRT, the new Z06 is listed for $75,000.00...I paid $78,800.00 for my new 04 black mamba :shocked:
You must be registered for see images

motor trend feb.05

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With incredible bias towards the Chevy, the C6 (not even the Z06) took 1st place - vs a distant 6th for the Viper. Some numbers:

.......................................... C6 ................. SRT-10

60-0 Braking ..................... 110 ft ................... 112 ft
100 - 0 Braking ................. 194 ft ................... 197 ft
0-60 Acceleration ............. 4.5 sec .................. 4.0 sec
1/4 mile .......................... 12.8 sec ................ 12.1 sec
Buttonwillow lap time ......... 66.32 ................... 66.60
Curb weight ..................... 3290 lbs .................3420 lbs

LOL Not one piece of accurate info Chris. They must've tested the SRT-10 on a wet track. Having been on a track with SRTs I suspect the numbers in my link are closer to the truth. And there is NFW a stock C6 could hang with a SRT at Buttonwillow or any other track. That article had to have been written for 16-year-olds because no honest C6 owner/tracker would ever believe it.

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0401_vipandgt/index5.html

1/4 mile, sec @ mph 11.77 @ 123.63
Braking, 60-0 mph, ft 97

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As for the Toad and Crack comparison:

1. The driver admitted that he was scared of the Viper so took it easy on one critical section of the track. This surely shows how well he drove the rest of the course;

2. The Viper finished in 6th place, but only after points were factored in for 'luggage space', 'fuel economy' and purchase price. I understand the 'bang for the buck' reason to factor in purchse price, but 'luggage space' and fuel economy? Are you kidding? Surely the SRT-10 should get extra points for being a true convertible? Or at least for having a nice cupholder.

The opinions of the judges nearly all referred to 'comfort' 'luggage space' and other NON-sports car crap.

3. Toad and Crack did say that "The Viper is the meanest, baddest production car on the planet. Period." Pretty serious praise there huh? Sounds like a number 1 ranking for 'mean' or 'bad.' While the Vette was #1 because of luggage space, comfort and traction/yaw control. The Vette is a hell of a car, but I prefer 'mean' and 'bad' when looking for a true sports car.

Beyond that, the opinion of the trunk space conscious judges was a little like TrollCraig's, wholly irrelevant.

Dirk

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for the Toad and Crack comparison:

1. The driver admitted that he was scared of the Viper so took it easy on one critical section of the track. This surely shows how well he drove the rest of the course;

2. The Viper finished in 6th place, but only after points were factored in for 'luggage space', 'fuel economy' and purchase price. I understand the 'bang for the buck' reason to factor in purchse price, but 'luggage space' and fuel economy? Are you kidding? Surely the SRT-10 should get extra points for being a true convertible? Or at least for having a nice cupholder.

The opinions of the judges nearly all referred to 'comfort' 'luggage space' and other NON-sports car crap.

3. Toad and Crack did say that "The Viper is the meanest, baddest production car on the planet. Period." Pretty serious praise there huh? Sounds like a number 1 ranking for 'mean' or 'bad.' While the Vette was #1 because of luggage space, comfort and traction/yaw control. The Vette is a hell of a car, but I prefer 'mean' and 'bad' when looking for a true sports car.

Beyond that, the opinion of the trunk space conscious judges was a little like TrollCraig's, wholly irrelevant.

Dirk

Maybe in your opinion but nearly 70% of the people that voted agree with me.

Win > lose

Deal with it.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yada,Yada,Yada. Numbers,numbers,numbers. 3ft diff in braking..2 sec 1/4 mile. These numbers are posted by pro's or in the very least writers who have extensive track time. Take it to the street and it's a whole new ball game. 98% of owners will never get these cars to their limits. Myself included. Most posts will be street light wars and highway runs.I will take my slow ass ugly Srt-10 over a,rebate wearing, 0%for 983 month,grandma has one down the block, vette any day of the week.
So what, some ******* at a car show says "yeah the new Z06 will toast that car". Ok thanks for the info.Btw is that your mobile home."Why yes it is"!!. F1Ck1N CLOWN DOES NOT EVEN OWN A SPORTS CAR. Damn if I worried what Craig had to say I'd be still driving my GTS,trying to get the goverment to pay for everyone's health care,and watching Nascar from my Dorm room. [******], I did not even have a Tv in my college years. Too busy trying to get into the girls dorms..
Does the negative comments from Craig and others bother me? Absolutely not. They were here before and will be here after I sell my 04. It is hard to follow up what some consider the best looking sports car of all time.
Should Craig be banned or flogged for his opinions? Of course not. [******], there are issues with my car that I do not like. For example, my fat ass does not fit in the seat well. These side bolsters make me feel like I am on the crapper with a phone book on each cheek..
No car or no person is perfect. So lets deal and move on!!!
P.S. Craig, Die in a Srt-10 certificate fire!!!!!!!!! LOL :2tu:

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
YEEEESSSSSSS!!!

Great post.

I agree wholeheartedly, except for the not flogging Craig part.

Dirk

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yada,Yada,Yada. Numbers,numbers,numbers. 3ft diff in braking..2 sec 1/4 mile. These numbers are posted by pro's or in the very least writers who have extensive track time. Take it to the street and it's a whole new ball game. 98% of owners will never get these cars to their limits. Myself included. Most posts will be street light wars and highway runs.I will take my slow ass ugly Srt-10 over a,rebate wearing, 0%for 983 month,grandma has one down the block, vette any day of the week.
So what, some ******* at a car show says "yeah the new Z06 will toast that car". Ok thanks for the info.Btw is that your mobile home."Why yes it is"!!. F1Ck1N CLOWN DOES NOT EVEN OWN A SPORTS CAR. Damn if I worried what Craig had to say I'd be still driving my GTS,trying to get the goverment to pay for everyone's health care,and watching Nascar from my Dorm room. [******], I did not even have a Tv in my college years. Too busy trying to get into the girls dorms..
Does the negative comments from Craig and others bother me? Absolutely not. They were here before and will be here after I sell my 04. It is hard to follow up what some consider the best looking sports car of all time.
Should Craig be banned or flogged for his opinions? Of course not. [******], there are issues with my car that I do not like. For example, my fat ass does not fit in the seat well. These side bolsters make me feel like I am on the crapper with a phone book on each cheek..
No car or no person is perfect. So lets deal and move on!!!
P.S. Craig, Die in a Srt-10 certificate fire!!!!!!!!! LOL :2tu:

The funny thing is, nobody would be crying about C&D if the Viper had won. The level of insecurity is beyond hilarious.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rest assured that "the game" is not over yet.

Why? Does SRT have a killer mamba edition up their sleeve???

I'll beleive it when I see it but as of right now SRT is giving nobody anything to have faith in. They built the Carbon concept and what came of that?? Absolutely zero.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Chevrolet Corvette Z06-63%
Dodge Viper SRT-10 Coupe-37%
TOTAL ENTRIES: 16599
Noon PST 14 Feb

If "CURB APPEAL" counts for anything, an adult male would rather be 'seen' with / in a VIPER! In 12+ years of Viper driving, I have only seen a VIPER on the road a dozen times or so, except where several of us were planning to meet. Whereas many weekends, I see a dozen vettes a DAY!

"I'M DRIVING A V I P E R !!!! "

Unfortunately, the un-scientific poll takes input from teeny-bopper chicks and pimple-poppers who don't yet even have a driver's license. Truth is, I TOO would like to drive the new Z-06 for TWO reasons: RESEARCH.... and because its actually too GOOD a machine to be 'just another Vette'.........

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon:

I mentioned to Joe a few weeks ago that I have seen five SRT-10s on the streets since 2003. Two of them were mine.

C6 Corvettes are already quite plentiful.

A person has to measure the value (if any) that they attach to uniqueness of a vehicle.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon:

I mentioned to Joe a few weeks ago that I have seen five SRT-10s on the streets since 2003. Two of them were mine.

C6 Corvettes are already quite plentiful.

A person has to measure the value (if any) that they attach to uniqueness of a vehicle.

And some people just want to go faster. These people do not wear windbreakers. People who want to be exclusive do not buy anything from the people who make neons and caravans.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL Not one piece of accurate info Chris. They must've tested the SRT-10 on a wet track. Having been on a track with SRTs I suspect the numbers in my link are closer to the truth. And there is NFW a stock C6 could hang with a SRT at Buttonwillow or any other track. That article had to have been written for 16-year-olds because no honest C6 owner/tracker would ever believe it.

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0401_vipandgt/index5.html

1/4 mile, sec @ mph 11.77 @ 123.63
Braking, 60-0 mph, ft 97

No worries there Chuck, I was seething when I first read the article, especially when I saw that one of the criteria for a true sports car was luggage space. :rolleyes: I thought the braking numbers were an absolute joke too, as they had the Viper with such high numbers when not a single other report indicates anything remotely close. Biased? Unbelievably so.

The point I was trying to make (without ruffling any feathers), was that going to vote for the Viper vs. the Z06 is not an easy decision for the vast majority of people. Misinformation like this article in particular can easily lead people down the wrong path. If I were somebody coming in off the street with no real background on either car, articles like this one from Toad & Crack would lead me to believe that not only is the Vette a better all around sports car, but that the Z06 should be absolutely crushing based on this review of the lowly C6.

No, I am not ordering a Z06 and have zero desire to have one in the garage. I enjoy that "celebrity status" that you cannot duplicate with the Vette. I only ask that the Viper stay ahead of the curve and not allow anybody to catch up even for a minute. At least as far as American manufactured sports cars. The Viper has always been significant as a benchmark - even by the lesser publications. I don't want to give that up.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And some people just want to go faster. These people do not wear windbreakers. People who want to be exclusive do not buy anything from the people who make neons and caravans.

There you go again. If you do not like anything about the Viper get the heck off the Viper web site. And now that you have clarified things and included everything that Chrysler makes you can get out of Dodge as well :)

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There you go again. If you do not like anything about the Viper get the heck off the Viper web site. And now that you have clarified things and included everything that Chrysler makes you can get out of Dodge as well :)

Thank you for your opinion. I speak the truth. Vipers are sold and serviced alongside the cars I mentioned. It is far from premium or prestigious. Next time you visit your friendly dodge dealer have a look around and see how you're treated. Then go visit a lexus or BMW, Audi, MBZ service area and tell me what the main differences are. The Viper is fun to drive no doubt but it's far from a prestigious car.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, and Maybachs get serviced in the same place as the Mercedes A-Class and Smart cars. So what. Does that mean to you the a Maybach is not exclusive?

And how many BMW, Audi, MBZ have you owned and received service? And I am treated better at my friendly Dodge dealer than many import dealers whom you speak so highly of.

And doubtful many would agree with you that the Viper is not prestigious. That my friend is my opinion. What you speak is your opinion. Not the truth. Get it through your 6 inch thick skull that because you think something does not make it the truth. No matter what your pappy says.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you for your opinion, I speak the truth....so sayeth Craig the Troll.

Give us a break Trollraig, I can imagine you in the school yard telling your friends , " Hi, I'm Craig , and I have a Lexus!"

Wow, now that is Prestige. I am sure **** Susie from Saskatchewan would much rather ride in the Prestige of a Lexus than in a Viper.... not.Please have fun over at the Lexus website, I hear they enjoy swapping stories of low decible ratings at a 70mph cruise.

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I often agree with my favorite Viper posting Canuck but I must say, the Viper really is more "prestigious" than any new Vette. It is a matter of numbers. There are more Vettes built each year than Vipers built, ever.

And as for service, it probably is bad but no worse than a Chevy dealership.

Like I always say, the Gen 2 Viper is the ULTIMATE platform for street supremacy.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prestige. I believe part of the prestige for the Viper is that people assume that it is a weekend toy and not your regular transportation. That is generally true. That means the owner had 70 or 80+k to spend on a toy. As a much greater percentage of Corvettes are daily drivers they do not have that same aura.

That is only one aspect but I believe in general it is that aspect which prevents the Viper from being a mainstream car. There are many cars of similar or higher cost that do not have that cachet.

Krazy PSI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course it's more presitgious than the likes of a vette but it's no Ferrari.

Craig, if you dislike the SRT's so much, why do you bother posting on ViperClub!
OBTW, you never did get back to me with regards to your "TAX FREE BRIDGE!! :rolleyes:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2003 SRT-HEFFNER TWINTURBO "1040RWHP&1135RWTQ"
1999 DIABLO VT-HEFFNER TWIN SUPERCHARGED "620hp&740tq"
2005 MERCEDES CL65-HEFFNER MODIFIED&TUNED "650HP&830TQ"
2005 MURCIELAGO ROADSTER-HEFFNER SOON TO BE TWINTURBOED
2005 AUDI A8 (STOCK WITH THE EXCEPTION OF 20INCH HRE'S)
2003 HUMMER H2 HEFFNER WHIPPLECHARGED/6SPEED TRANSMISSION CONVERSION(SOLD)
2004 PORSCHE 996 TT CAB (SOLD)
2005 PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO
2005 T-rex

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tried to read a post over at the Alley (about the Viper Coupe)...Turned into 30 childish posts by Craig.......unreal.....Craig ,Have you ever been with a girl?

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Attention all VCA members. Craig just got owned by Bill Pemberton. This day is to be remembered.

Bill do the same for Vipah and I will accept you as my personal savior.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Attention all VCA members. Craig just got owned by Bill Pemberton. This day is to be remembered.

Bill do the same for Vipah and I will accept you as my personal savior.

That scribbling on a piece of paper means nothing. Wow someone put a deposit down, fantastic.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang