WANNA ADJUST YOUR CLUTCH PEDAL? HERE'S HOW...

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WANNA ADJUST YOUR CLUTCH PEDAL? HERE\'S HOW...

I posted this since I saw a post regarding a clutch pedal modification and several members were asking about how to adjust the clutch pedal height.

Your clutch, brake and gas pedals can be adjusted individually. Once you adjust the individual pedal heights, the pedal actuator knob will adjust them all as one unit. It's pretty simple and can be done without contorting your body or removing the driver's seat.

Here's how:

Remove the knee blocker trim panel below the steering column
328pedaladjust001_copy.jpg

328pedaladjust002_copy.jpg

328pedaladjust003_copy.jpg

You can adjust each pedal individually by removing the retaining clip and turning the cables clockwise to move the pedal towards you and counterclockwise to move the pedal away from you.
328pedaladjust004_copy.jpg

Get in the drivers seat and test out the position of the pedals before you reassemble. I drove mine just to make sure the pedals were in the right position before I reassembled everything.

Use a 1/4 inch nut driver or socket to push the retaining clip on to the cable end and check to make sure they're secure. Reinstall the panel and enjoy your perfectly adjusted pedals. :2tu:
328pedaladjust005_copy.jpg

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: WANNA ADJUST YOUR CLUTCH PEDAL? HERE\'S HOW...

This is a GREAT post. Dave deserves a VCA t-shirt or something. As a novice driver, I'd wonder how far down to adjust the clutch height.

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

GREAT Post....especially in competition the clutch position has been a real pain...many thanks...Paul :usa:

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great post! Do you know if you can use this adjustment to move the whole pedal set towards the driver more than just the adjustment knob allows or does it allow relative positioning between pedels only?

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice, indeed. Great job. Now that's quality posting! :) You deserve several gold stars. We're talkin' big ones here, not the little ones. :D

OP
OP
VPRVENM97

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great post! Do you know if you can use this adjustment to move the whole pedal set towards the driver more than just the adjustment knob allows or does it allow relative positioning between pedels only?

Thanks everyone. Glad to help out! Craig, just installed your power steering cap vent tube. Nice job!

Ken, the pedals are controlled by individual cables connected to eccentric cams. The cables are joined at the adjustment knob where they're controlled as one. This will let you adjust the pedal position relative to each other. If you max one pedal all the way forward, that will then be the max forward position for the entire pedal cluster. For example, if you max'd the gas pedal all the way forward and max'd the clutch all the way back, you would no longer be able to move the pedal cluster as one unit. So...I guess to answer your question, no , it won't let you move the cluster any closer then you can get it now.

Since the adjustments made are so minor, usually within an inch, the range of movement for the entire cluster should not be adversely affected. Unless of course you did what I stated in the example.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Man! How come I don't get this kind of praise when I do a picture "how to" install? Ha! ha!

Awesome!! That is real cool stuff!

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Caution: be VERY careful when removing the retaining clip.

The cables are basically coil springs, mashed into a square and held together with solder. If you bugger up the filaments of the spring/cable, it no longer fits into the adjuster. The solution is to unwrap the buggered filament all the back to before the square section then snip it off.

OP
OP
VPRVENM97

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Man! How come I don't get this kind of praise when I do a picture "how to" install? Ha! ha!

Awesome!! That is real cool stuff!

Thanks Adam

Caution: be VERY careful when removing the retaining clip.

The cables are basically coil springs, mashed into a square and held together with solder. If you bugger up the filaments of the spring/cable, it no longer fits into the adjuster. The solution is to unwrap the buggered filament all the back to before the square section then snip it off.

Good point Jim, also have to be careful not to break those clips.....Say hi to tomer next time you see him.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jay --

Dave's initial post should be archived in the Upgrade's section.

Go Fast For Life

Enthusiast
Reaction score

VPRVENM97

Great post! Thanks for sharing with the rest of us!

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wish this would have been up a while ago before I became a contortionist and installed the Roe Clutch Lowering Link. Nice post.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I tried this and thought perhaps I could get another inch or two out of my pedals. I removed the lock nuts and coudn't adjust ANY pedal back any more.. I sure didn't want to move any of the pedals any closer.......

G

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I tried this and thought perhaps I could get another inch or two out of my pedals. I removed the lock nuts and coudn't adjust ANY pedal back any more.. I sure didn't want to move any of the pedals any closer.......

G

Leave it to you to find somethine negative in it! Shut it stubby legs! :D :D :laugh:

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Very cool. I did this in under 15 minutes. I had to lower the clutch and raise the brake to get better alignment to my liking. Raising the brake also makes blipping the throttle on the heel-toe downshift a little easier with my aftermarket pedals. Thanks for this fix that was really bugging me.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OK what's the trick to getting that Jesus clip off? Every one I have ever encountered gets a tab broken off, or the sh%t bent out of it!

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I used a tiny screwdriver to gently bend the part that digs into the spring back and away from the spring. I did this on 2 of the tabs of each of the retaining clips I removed. That was enough to then use needle node pliers to wiggle the retaining clip off of the spring.

OP
OP
VPRVENM97

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great post...to bad it won't work on my '95. :( Or will it??? This is just for the Gen 2's right?

NatRT10,
Not sure about GEN I's. Maybe some Gen I guys came jump in and advise.

OK what's the trick to getting that Jesus clip off? Every one I have ever encountered gets a tab broken off, or the sh%t bent out of it!

Viperjoe,

They are designed to dig into the strands of the cable so the more you try to push the clip out, the more the tabs dig in. Like 2002 GTS says above, you can use a mini screw driver and pry the tabs away from the cable. Just enough so you can use needle nose pliers to rock it off. Once the clip is off you can flatten the tabs back to the original postion. Don't flatten them too much or it'll be difficult to put the clip back onto the cable.

Thanks for all the positive responses. :2tu:

Hissses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I use a little pick that is shaped like a ? mark. It will take it right of and not break it. just flatten it a bit and push it back on when done. Hope this helps

VIPowER

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Great information. At a long-legged 6' 4", I could not fit my left leg between the door, dash, and clutch. This may be my ticket to Viper ownership. If this doesn't work completely, are there any other modifications that can be made? What is the Roe cluth lowering link referred to in one reply? Thanks.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Roe lowering kit lowers the clutch pedal so that it is the same height as the brake pedal.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As NatRT10 asked, will this work on a 95?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang