Want more horsepower/torque; 3.55s?

Johnbennett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is my next step for more horsepower or torque? So far I have only added K/N filters and Borla exhausts to my '99 RT/10. I talked to Jon B at Partsrack (what a great guy!!!) and he strongly suggested 3.55 gears. I know I have seen a few threads about 3.55 vs 3.07 but would like to get the most current thoughts. Thanks. And, thanks Jon B for your time on the phone the other day.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3:55 or 3:73 either choice is a great improvement. depends upon your plans for further upgrades, if youre sticking to what you got now for HP, 3:73 is good, IMO, if youre going for more HP in the future, dont go above 3:55, again IMO.

BUD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man. I hate these threads. From both sides you here different versions. Some say it is a seat of your pants "trick" feeling only and makes no more real acceleration, and some say it does make a big difference. WHO THE HECK ARE WE INTERMEDIATES SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE? Tuners, experts, Viper techs, speak out! Does it help or not?

John Johns

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've run 3.55 gears in my 97 for 3 years and 22k miles. My car has 500+ hp with the usual mods and I love the gears. Torque multiplication does break the tires loose in 1st and 2nd if you're not careful, but the overall in-town driveability is enhanced making the car a lot more fun in day-to-day driving IMO. No waiting for power!

I have headers, race bullets and no cats, and with the gears resonance occurs at a lower highway speed, which can be irritating if I want to cruise around 90. On the track, they're a bit low requiring more frequent shifting. Overall, they're the best bang for the buck as Jon says. Combine gears with an aluminum flywheel for even more instant torque!

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tried the 355,went down to 333 for all around street-strip performance.From a standing 1/4(stock tire) the 355's are way to tricky to drive out of the hole,a stock viper will beat you.From a 30mph roll you'll pull several cars on a stock viper with 355's(most friendly races start from a roll).If your using drag radials,ET street slicks,and have 600RW or less the 355's will get your best ET.I had to down to the 333 to keep from redline 4th.
aysmile.gif

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BUD:
Man.

WHO THE HECK ARE WE INTERMEDIATES SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>BUD,when in doubt,if it ain't broke don't fix it.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are many stock gear vipers hitting 11's in the 1/4,I've heard of 1 or 2 hitting 11's with the 355 but had several mods.I have to go easy on the clutch with the 333's,or the tires go up in smoke and some mustang 5.0 could go by.Last note is when your screaming down the interstate,somewhere between 135-140 the stock gear boys start pulling me.