Want to install 3.55 gears

supratime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a shop in Sacramento that can install unitrax 3.55 gears for my srt-10? Also I notice on my viper if you turn the car off with the headlights on, you have to turn the switch off then on and then off again to make the headlights turn off. It was kinda weird. I just had the flickering lights fixed too. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

Viper IV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supratime
I had mine done in San Jose at Valaya Automotive. It was worth the drive, (he's done over 300 viper rear ends). Ask for Al or Ted @ 408-448-8811
Good luck
Bob

Ooomph

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you're referring to the perimeter lighting that stays on for a few minutes after exiting the vehicle at night. When I turn my headlights off at night, they remain on for a few minutes and then self-extinguish. Try it out at night, kill the lights, close the car door, set the alarm and walk away for ten or fifteen minutes. It's a safety feature.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also I notice on my viper if you turn the car off with the headlights on, you have to turn the switch off then on and then off again to make the headlights turn off.

It is SUPPOSED to do that, and is pretty cool too. Notice that only the HID's come on - not the parking lights or anything else. Looks wicked in my very humble opinion. Stays on for approximately 30 seconds to two minutes (manual should clarify). If you turn off the headlights before you turn off the car, it won't do this - it only does it when you turn the headlights off after you turn off the car. I always do it that way just to see that cool HID-only look for a little bit! ;)

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had our 3.55 gears done at Valaya as well. Ted's a straight-up guy and a great mechanic. I highly recommend them.

OP
OP
S

supratime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info from everyone. I have been driving this car for the pass few days. The car FEELS a bit slow until 3500- 4000 rpm. Seems like my z06 w/ vararam intake feels more peppy. Is it supposed to be like that? Will the 3.55 gears help a lot? With the gears is it really slower to 0-60 mph? and only lose 10mph top speed? I heard top speed from Jonb 165mph... Are these the only downsides to getting the 3.55 gears? Thanks again guys.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
supratime, 3.55's will definitely wake your SRT-10 up and greatly help with the SOTP meter too. As for your 0-60mph time, it shouldn't suffer after making the change provided you can speed shift. Top speed however will be reduced by 10-15mph which should still get you into the mid to high 170's. Bottom-line, for the money 3.55's are darn hard mod to beat.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Just do it, you won't regret it.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Being a former Z06 owner times 2, I would say that if your stock srt feels in any way comparable to the z06, then you should look into that first. (I just got my new SRT-10 on sunday and have made an appointment with my plastic surgeon to remove my new, deep facial smile lines).

The only reason for 0-60 times to suffer, would be from lack of traction.

Remember there is a price for everything. If you get the gears, you are going to generate more heat from your rear end and possible from the tranny. I ignore the gas use and decreased top end because I don't car about those issues. Still and all, as soon as I get miles on my new ride, I am going for the rear end gears.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's a reasonable length of time to install a new gear, by a trained Viper tech? I inquired at the dealer about having 3.55's put on my 01 and he indicated 5-7 hours. That's billable shop hours. Seems kind of long to me. He said he's done them before on both Lambo's and Vipers.

OP
OP
S

supratime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being a former Z06 owner times 2, I would say that if your stock srt feels in any way comparable to the z06, then you should look into that first.
Well my srt-10 does feel much stronger on the top end than the z06 just down low feels a slight lag until 3500 or so. Well I'm getting 3.55 gears, k&n filters and comp coupe computer install soon. Any one else have the comp coupe controller put in??? Thanks everyone.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heres my take on what your to expect with the new gears.

The 3.55's are shorter winded than the oem's. The G-force pull is higher, but shorter in duration than the 3.07's.

Traction is actually more improved, because the 3.07 will make the car bog, or spin without much control or visa Versa. The 3.55 will spin easier, but is more controllable, with modulation of the throttle. I can't really explain what I mean. This subject came up a few years ago in the GTS forum and It was very well explained.

You may notice a lag in the car when you get the new gears because you have to get on it and out of it quicker, you can't drive it like you did with the 3.07 in it. You will be going out of the engines torque range quicker. The lag you feel now is the car is just geared to high and if it is hooking up on good pavement, the car hasen't enough torque to pull its self up quickly.It will take more on the gas than before to make the car go with the 3.55's in it. You will have to learn how to sprint about differently. The red line is there before you know it. The back lash when you let off the gas sooner than the clutch is more obvious now. Hand and foot timing must be improved. The car will pull harder with this gear in it. Get on some good pavement, and punch it at about 3000 or so rpm, and get ready to shift a moment later. The long G-force is not there, but more intense.

Gears must break in. They are very tight when new, part of the tight feel you are getting.

The lower gears come with some annoying factors, but as you relearn your driving, they will become more fun.

I have said the optimal gear to be a 3.33, unless you raise the tire size as I did. But most people think more is better. ET slicks will really go with the 3.55's. When the Pilots are hooking up, but spinning a bit, you really become over geared, as this makes it hard to work the car right. Better traction will make the gears nearly a perfect combo.

The Viper is a car that with a hand full of mods, can actually do well with a 3.33

The total time doing the complete job, 6 hours on a beginer, that knows this type of work in general, and four to five hours when he gets good at it. Most places will rob you on it, because it's a Viper I guess. All in all it's a very simple upgrade for a gear guy.

Practice sprinting about before you do any drag racing. You will have the car nose diving between gears, and bumping the red line, even a few gear grinds, as the car is throwing you around more with this new explosive pull in first and second. I really hate the top section of the seat. Volvo was the only car I ever seen that thought the top half of your back should be resting against the seat regardless of where the seat back position was. Terrible racing seats in the Viper.

Skip W.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When the new gears are installed, it is like the vette where they have remove the rear wheels, exhaust, and drop the entire rear end and trany down (drop it out of the tunnel)---or is it "easier" To me 5-7 hours sounds like a big job. I always worry about leaking fluids after such a mod
thanks

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YOu don't even have to remove the back tires, just disconect the upper A-arms. The weight of the tires help pull the arms out of the way. This is the unitrax way.

No fluids should ever leak if this is down right. You don't have to touch the tranny, just remove the driveshaft. 1 hour to remove the unit from the car, 2.5-3.5 to set up the gears, 1 hour to reinstall. There you have it.

Skip

djemcee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had mine done yesterday. Went to Unitrax in Anaheim. Great shop. They really take car of your car. I paid just under 1040.00 I have not been able to give you my opinion as of yet, because I am doing my break in. One more ride at 30 min. under 65 mph. Does anyone know how hard it is to drive in Cali under 65 mph. That is almost what California drivers go in school zones. Anyway, as I am driving home 25 min. on the freeway last night from the shop, I must have came next to more drivers wanting to race me than I ever had. I think it's because I was going so slow that they must have thought I was taunting them or something. The worst part is not being able to WOT on them and leave them spitting rubber dust out of thier teeth. Oh well. One more slow ride today and then watch out here I come. I will post my feelings on the gear change tonight. One important thing though, I have only had the car for 3 weeks. And only have 1400 miles behind the wheel. So I am sure my opinion will help, but may not be as detailed of a comparison between someone that has driven stock longer than I.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip, Great info on gears. I learned a few things, thanks. I'm seriously interested in doing a gear swap but still not sure. I will rarely, if ever, put the car on a track. I'm mostly interested in 0-100 or say cruising speeds (35-40) then WOT to 100 or so. I have no interest in being over 150 so I'm not concerned with top end. I am however, curious what a 3.55 would do to acceleration from highway speeds, say 65 mph and up. I'm a little concerned that the 3.55 would be past its optimal advantage at this point. Opinion?

With my specific situation, the car will not be moded heavily. Tubes, filters, 3" cats, B&B catback. The rear gear is the only other performance mod I'm likely to do. On the stock Pilots, traction is a problem now. I've considered going with Kumhos now that they are becoming available in 18" but am concerned with excessive stone chips. Perhaps, as you have indicated, 3.33 or 3.45 would be a better choice for my situation. I'd appreciate any insight you (or anyone else) may have as I'd like to make this change once, not twice. Thanks,

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
rcdice: 3.55's are perfect based on what you are looking for and the mods you've got planned...keep in mind with the rear tires being 19's this change is similar to 3.33's on a Gen2.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob you will accell. better through all the gears, and most noticable in the upper gears, as you will be applying more torque to the back wheels.

Snake Eye did make a good point on the comparison with the Gen2. The tire size does in fact equal out to putting 3.33's on a Gen2, but the Gen3 is 50 HP so it really handles over gearing better than Gen2.

The tire you really need to go with the 3.55's in what I have, 305/45/18 Nitto Drag Radial's 28.4 inches tall. This is a killer setup. No Stock GTS can come close to staying next to it, even with a 50 HP upgrade.

Skip White

SMHOD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Skip White,
How did you get the 18 inch wheels to work with the brakes. Which wheels are you using? Are you using the spacer or some other method to make it work?

Thanks,
Scott

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SnakeEye and Skip,
The car I'm looking at putting the 3.55's on is an 01 Gen II (yes I know this is the G3 forum). Anyway, with that said, in your opinion(s) should I go with 3.55 or something a little less like 3.33? I want the car to pull harder and accelerate faster. Wheels/tires on this car are 18". I am, however, concerned with drivability and mostly, rear wheel spin. The rear tires break loose very easily now (OEM Pilots w/ plenty of tread). The minor mods I mentioned earlier have already been done. Thanks again for your time.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both gears are good, but you have a Gen2 car, the tires are only a bit over 26 inches tall, on the other hand the engine is a good bit less HP than the Gen3. I have had 3.33 on the car, they are great, but if you ever decide to run a drag radial on the car, as I have, you will bog the motor down, and 3.55's would be good. Even if you don't put them on, the 3.55's are ok. It seems to be the gear of choice, just be prepared for the difference in drivability, "not really bad" I think if you could drive a car with each gear in it, you would choose the 3.33's and if you were a pro drag racer, you would choose the 3.55's

Skip White

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob, your car being a Gen2, knock that install time down 30% Those cars are a snap to do.

7 Hours no way.

Skip White

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 3.55s with heads + intake on our SRT/10, and it's a good combo. The car gets out of the hole very quickly, and typically spins in 1st at about 4000-4500 RPM; a short-shift to 2nd puts it right back in the powerband. We also have drag radials (Purner makes an 18x13 wheel which will fit over the stock brakes) and the BFG 345/30-18 g-force DRs hook perfectly once they're warm. The car pulls pretty hard with those tires on, although it's still the slowest 0-60 in our fleet.

All in all, for a near-stock car I think 3.55s is a good modification, especially if you're going to put on sticky tires and go to the track.