Wavetrac and Hydra-Lock rear ends - Advice please

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As mentioned in an earlier Post, purchased a 2005 Viper - Found the Rear end to have blown pinion and Spider gears. There have been many posts about this, it is a weak link in these cars. JonB has a used one (Hydra-Lock) for sale, $895, no guarantees but it has been gone through , all appears to be in good working order, clean, and the car can be back on the road - (If I can find an exhaust!) . Wavetrac is not available until the middle of December according to the manufacturer, some folks, like JonB think it will be next March or April. If I purchase the Hydra-Lock from JonB, and then can find the Wavetrac sometime within the next year or so, is there even a market for that Hydra-Lock if it survives until I get the Wavetrac ? I guess I should ask JonB if he will purchase it back, if all is in good shape. Plus you have the labor to swap out again. I guess I need to check on that as well. But are there people out there with a lot of miles on their Hydra-Lock rear ends, and is there even a market for a used on in good shape ? Thanks for reading this - I hope it makes sense .

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think a lot of that comes down to use case and how you drive. I put plenty of miles on my stock gen 3 rear end before I swapped it to a gen 4 unit. If it's just a leisure car you take on a cruise with on nice days I wouldn't worry about it. If you are planning power adders or aggressive track time kind of stuff it might be more worth it to upgrade. Even then your driving style and ability at a track can could determine if the rear end would last.

OP
OP
S

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you very much. It is hard finding any parts for these , right now!

John

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What Map Said...as I said on phone.

We have shown that the vendor who said "Mid December" was wrong, as I predicted. Best Case is Mid Feb. But 2022 prices are NOT yet published.

OP
OP
S

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it makes sense to just wait - no matter how I drive. My mechanic says that the technology of the Wavetrac is so far superior a, if you plan on keeping the car, wait for the Wavetrac.

Thanks!

john