We don't actually get to drive on LVMS?

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don\'t actually get to drive on LVMS?

From everything I'm reading about VOI 9, it sounds like you don't get to actually drive on the track itself. I hear autocross and dragstrip mentioned, but no mention of the track itself. Am I missing something guys?

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: We don\'t actually get to drive on LVMS?

I was told there will be a "roval" set up for us in which we drive on a combo of the oval and the infield road course. We will be the second event on the newly configured oval (the first being the NASCAR truck race).

OP
OP
B

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wonder if they'll really let us get up on the banking? This is really the only thing that's keeping me from shelling out the $850. I want to run at least a few laps on the oval, even though I'm sure the speed will be limited to somewhere around a pace lap speed...

Anyone know for sure? Maybe I'll check the site for a number to call...

06red/whitecoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

the skip barber folks will go over everything; there will be drivers who have perhaps never drivin on a race course before along side drivers who could probably run competitive times at daytona. listen to the instructors and be safe; if you think your fast go to viper days following weekend and show em what you got.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Last time we ran the banking at over 100...but it did include some infield work too.
PBR

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score

VOI5 was my first VOI (in my '94 RT/10) and my first time on any track. We did a combination of the oval and the infield much like VOI8 in Dallas. My instructor knew that I was a greenhorn and acted like he couldn't wait to get out of my car. I felt very intimidated. By VOI8 I had booked a fair amount of track time and my instructor acted like he was having a good time as he encouraged me to pass car after car. He loved my car ('96 GTS) and I let him take my wife out for a couple of laps in it (that came out wrong but you know what I mean!). He even gave me extra turns rather than going to the back of the line. My point is that the instructors can read you pretty well and will treat you accordingly. That being said, if you are looking primarily for track time then VOI is probably going to disappoint you.

Bob K

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Last time we ran the banking at over 100...but it did include some infield work too.
Don't leave out the drizzle. I recall going into the LVMS banking at about 120-140mph, on a damp track.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Like said before we definitely used the track at VOI5. On our stated track day the speeds were varied based on ability. 130-140 on the oval just before turning down to the inside was not unusual.

If you went to the track on Sunday (the open day then) you got much more opportunity to use the car as the people there were the "drivers." And Viper Days followed VOI so there was even more opportunity.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

even though I'm sure the speed will be limited to somewhere around a pace lap speed...

The last two VOI's there was nothing limited. I was easily hitting 140 with the instructor encouraging me to punch it. It was fun and I'm looking forward to Las Vegas.

vegas guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Its my understanding that just after the NASCAR race this month the main track

was being ripped up as to add more banking. If this is true, the main track

maybe unavailable, the bullring would be the only oval in use.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The main track is being rebuilt (they are increasing the banking, moving pit road closer to the track, putting in new buildings, etc) but it is all scheduled to be completed prior to the NASCAR truck race which is a week or two before VOI.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Actually if they had it worked out it would be much better to run the 1.8-2.4 mile road course outside the track. It is in good shape , relatively safe, with pretty good runoff in most spots. Maybe they are planning on running there, as is would make more sense than running up and down on the banking.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

......... My point is that the instructors can read you pretty well and will treat you accordingly. That being said, if you are looking primarily for track time then VOI is probably going to disappoint you. Bob K

At all VOIs where hot-lap track time was allowed, we rode a PARTIAL bank if there was one: LAS, STL, TEN, TEX....all had at least ONE banked corner.

About 4 VOIs ago, we began handicapping drivers at registation: Novice, Intermediate, Experienced. BE SURE TO REGISTER HONESTLY !!!

But what Bob says is correct: If you are an intermediate-advanced driver, used to open hot laps at Viper Days, local track events, etc, you WILL likely be disappointed in the hot lapping. The instructor-victims especially in novice cars are there to keep all very SAFE, and not to ensure you have fun. The final 'open track' day has allowed for more speed, and less traffic.

If you CRAVE track time, lengthen your NV stay by adding a RENO Viper Days event in conjunction with VOI, 9/30 - 10/1 in RENO!....track time galore...

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually if they had it worked out it would be much better to run the 1.8-2.4 mile road course outside the track. It is in good shape , relatively safe, with pretty good runoff in most spots. Maybe they are planning on running there, as is would make more sense than running up and down on the banking.

Bill, I believe they already have secured use of that course, but I've been told that there will be a go-karting venue at the track and it's unclear if the road course you're talking about will be used for that.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Having run the road course, it is a great course for the Novice and fun enough for the advanced drivers. Makes a ton of sense to use that for the Vipers and if they want to do go-carts ( not sure why ), but the little track inside the ro-val is very suited for that. No big deal to switch if they have both venues, and the outside road course would also be much safer for Viper drivers, for sure.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

One of the greatest experiences of my Viper Ownership Life has been the opportunity to run on NASCAR type ovals. It is a dream that few can obtain. Driving a Viper up and onto the Oval is a world class experience. We usually get to run about 2/3rds around the Oval, then dive into the infield track, run around the road course, then jet back up onto the oval. The transitions can be very technical, so be very heads up.

SRT's remember that earlier cars do not have your braking capacity, so glance at your mirrors before late braking .

Those who wish can get two days on the oval. Groups get split in two with each alternating between the track and the senic drive.
On the last day the tracks are open to all, and much less crowded. Everyone should be able to get their flll of track time.

If you have never taken your Viper on a race track, this is an opportunity not to be missed.

If you really want to run with the big dogs, Skip and the Viper Racing League usually put on a lunch time door to door race. Great to watch, and a little humbling.